PDA

View Full Version : 48,000 service....

ScEv
04-08-2007, 03:08 PM
So i just got my 48,000km service done and it looks like i need to replace my rear rotors and braking pads as well as my braking, tranny, and coolant fluids [including the flush]. And damn, its going to cost 830+tax for this to be done.

Anyone else pay that much? Or got it done somewhere else for cheaper? Yes, i know MofT does a really good job, but it's not like it's anything difficult that can't be done anywhere else. And hell, $125 per liquid :S.... i just can't get myself to justify that price? then again, sadly i don't know too much about cars, so i don't know if this is how much it costs at other places.

So did you guys get it done at the dealership, or you go to outside shops?

Thanks,
Kevin

Mazda3_06
04-08-2007, 03:17 PM
yeah they said the same thing to me...i changed my pads myself
and for the transmission flush i have not done it yet...i probably going to go to a mechanic somewhere else and get it done myself

Xerox
04-08-2007, 03:53 PM
All that already?

Don't know about the others but maintenance schedule says the first coolant should be replaced at 96,000 km or 48 months after that every 24 months.

I know it could change based on driving conditions and what not but seems very premature.

ScEv
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM
All that already?

Don't know about the others but maintenance schedule says the first coolant should be replaced at 96,000 km or 48 months after that every 24 months.

I know it could change based on driving conditions and what not but seems very premature.

Wells thats what was recommended today. But yeah, 2 years, 48,000.. and i believe im driving my car fine, as normal as it can be, with a little bit of speeding once in a while, but who doesn't

And in terms of driving conditions... just the plain old regular Toronto conditions with a bunch of trips up to blue mountain.
Anyone else got theres done somewhere else? how much did it cost u?

ScEv
04-09-2007, 09:25 AM
Is it worthwhile to get it done at the dealer, or do you recommend getting it somewhere else? if you have, can you please state the price you paid and where, and if it was a good palce. thanks!

Flagrum_3
04-09-2007, 09:45 AM
Wells thats what was recommended today. But yeah, 2 years, 48,000.. and i believe im driving my car fine, as normal as it can be, with a little bit of speeding once in a while, but who doesn't

And in terms of driving conditions... just the plain old regular Toronto conditions with a bunch of trips up to blue mountain.
Anyone else got theres done somewhere else? how much did it cost u?

I haven't come close to the 48k service yet, but I can give you some advice; first they are trying to scam you...Like Xerox says you do not need any coolant service till atleast 48months or 98000km, as for the tranny if its an automatic it dosen't need to be serviced at all (according to our owners manual), if its a standard tranny then you can wait till 100k I believe...Also, I would get a second opinion on the brakes,... pads I can probably see you needing them, but rotors? thats pushing it a bit, if they are scored you can just turn them and only as much as needed to get rid of the scoring.
By the way what dealer did you go to?
As for where to go for service if you have a mechanic or shop that you or maybe your dad knows and trusts, its usually cheaper to get serviced there, ...if not than your stuck with the dealer....what area of the GTA do you live maybe folks on here can guide you to other trusted shops.

_3

ScEv
04-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I haven't come close to the 48k service yet, but I can give you some advice; first they are trying to scam you...Like Xerox says you do not need any coolant service till atleast 48months or 98000km, as for the tranny if its an automatic it dosen't need to be serviced at all (according to our owners manual), if its a standard tranny then you can wait till 100k I believe...Also, I would get a second opinion on the brakes,... pads I can probably see you needing them, but rotors? thats pushing it a bit, if they are scored you can just turn them and only as much as needed to get rid of the scoring.
By the way what dealer did you go to?
As for where to go for service if you have a mechanic or shop that you or maybe your dad knows and trusts, its usually cheaper to get serviced there, ...if not than your stuck with the dealer....what area of the GTA do you live maybe folks on here can guide you to other trusted shops.

_3

Thanks for the reply flagrum, I go to Mazda of Toronto [and happy with them.. so far :D lol] I live in Thornhill. As far as the liquids go, i was thinking the same thing.. it seemed a little soon to be flushing them and replacing it so early on[and i do drive an automatic]. I know of a few mechanic shops that my family go too, but i wanted some prices to compare and a little bit more info before i go call them up. and hopefully the mazda community can help me out :D lol.

Well i wanted to get my brakes done by the end of the week. so ill have to take another look at the rotors issue.

Thanks!

mazdaagain
05-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I was at 43,000 and getting major wheel shimmy when braking at highway speed. Took it in and was told that I had to REPLACE all 4 rotors and that they were too far gone to even machine them. Strangely enough, they told me that the pads were still fine. NEVER EVER have I had to replace rotors before the pads were even gone ... machine them, maybe but never replace them !! On top of that it's not a cheap job.

Virgy
05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
A second opinion is always good even a third doesn’t hurt, cause heck it’s free. My dad just ran into a similar brake situation. He went to a garage with his Jetta because the low brake pad sensor came on. They told him that all rotors and all pads needed to be replaced. Something like $1200 :loco, so them he asked about rotor specs and so on. Went back the next day and asked them to measure the rotors with him there. And wouldn’t you know there was lots of turn off and keep them in spec. End price was just under $600. Still to much in my opinion but better then $1200. Go back to MOT and find out why they need to replace the rotors, why can they not be turned etc. I have been hearing this a lot, that rotor need to be replaced at and around 40k. I think when I get to that point I am going to consider putting on aftermarket pads and rotors. But till then I’ll have to wait and see.

Candyman
06-07-2007, 09:03 AM
I went to MoT too for my 48K service. They told me I need all the fluid flushed too for something like $550+. I didn't do it yet. I got a number for a mechanic from a friend. I'll let you know how much he quoted. (He's gonna check first if I even need to)

FLIPDADY
06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
I went to MoT too for my 48K service. They told me I need all the fluid flushed too for something like $550+. I didn't do it yet. I got a number for a mechanic from a friend. I'll let you know how much he quoted. (He's gonna check first if I even need to)
BTW, just to clarify you do not "need" to do these services. They are recommended by the service department but your not obligated to do them if you don't want to.

MattC
06-07-2007, 02:36 PM
ive been told by people that i dont really even need to get the fluids flush, and for the most part its just a cash grab for the automotive service industry

can any hardcore car guys confirm/refute?

I doubt I will put 48k on my car in 3-4 years, so i dont think ill ever need to get any of this done before i sell it.

Candyman
06-07-2007, 03:14 PM
BTW, just to clarify you do not "need" to do these services. They are recommended by the service department but your not obligated to do them if you don't want to.

Unfortunately that wasn't how it was presented to me when I was there. They used the scare tactic of "Your warranty may be void if not done". I don't blame them/have any hard feelings. I understand in general, businesses have pressure to sell/maximize profits. Not everything offered is a neccessity, but they, as sales people, have to sometimes twist the truth to meet their sales target or risk losing their jobs. I don't know if the Service Department has targets or not, but for my last visit, this is what I was told.

Buyer Beware, hence why I'm looking for a second opinion. I still bring my car to MoT, I have no issues with MoT. Just want others know they shouldn't always follow blindly, never hurts to double check. I'd be kicking myself if I did the service for $500 & then hear you tell me it's only recommended.

My 2 cents

EvilEric
06-07-2007, 03:38 PM
ive been told by people that i dont really even need to get the fluids flush, and for the most part its just a cash grab for the automotive service industry

can any hardcore car guys confirm/refute?

I doubt I will put 48k on my car in 3-4 years, so i dont think ill ever need to get any of this done before i sell it.

Man i've had it for 2 years and i'm verging on my 48k as well. How come your mileage is so low.

chinsterr
06-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Man i've had it for 2 years and i'm verging on my 48k as well. How come your mileage is so low.

and im 60K with just over 2 years ... lol i thought i was doing great

asif9t9
06-09-2007, 06:06 PM
The idea of having to replace 4 rotors at a time, and pads, etc.) is scary. But unless you know how to look at your own pads and and judge what's left, you're at the mercy of the mechanic. I used to get second opinions, and if the second guy said the brakes were fine, or that they only needed machining, I'd always believe him. You always believe the guy who suggests the least amount of money. Human nature. But maybe that guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I had my coolant in my Z24 changed at CT at 200K. I was just at Mr. Lube last week, at 240K, and the guy checked my coolant and said is was almost pure water. He had some gadget that showed me it wasn't a 50/50 mix. He said there's no way the coolant has EVER been changed. Anyways, I had a Mr. Lube coupon, so I let him do the work. I confirmed at home that I did pay big bucks to CT for a coolant change at 200K. GM coolant is supposed to last 240,000kms. Who knows what happened.

whiteomega
06-09-2007, 09:56 PM

is there a reason why your service guys recommend a fluid flush at 48k, when the manual says 96k? it just seems kind of strange to have a recommendation to replace fluids twice as often as what Mazda recommends..

whiteomega
06-12-2007, 07:38 PM
here's an article i was pointed to by a friend:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/mazda_warranty/

it's from four years ago, and discusses pretty much the same thing as this thread. next time you're in for your 48000 km service, you might want to check the manual to make sure what's being recommended is necessary.

you should also look for anything that says your warranty gets voided if you don't do it (i have yet to find a clause which says your warranty is void if you don't perform maintenance as the dealer recommends-it is void if you don't perform maintenance the manual recommends)

[edit: it seems it isn't just mazda dealer who are doing this; i wouldn't be surprised if you see the same thing from just about anyone]

Wild Weasel
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, every shop is going to recommend services you don't need, because they make money when you do them. It doesn't hurt to do service more often than the manual says, so they're only really hurting your wallet.

As mentioned... it pays to read the manual and know what's needed at what intervals. Don't let them talk you out of your hard earned cash!

whiteomega
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
agreed; i also just took the time to read through the warranty information on the MAP, in the manual, and on Mazda Canada's website. there is nothing that says you have to follow the dealer's schedule for maintenance; just the manual's. they do recommend you keep the receipts from all your service just in case you need warranty repairs. don't take my word for it though; go read for yourself =) (you did keep your warranty booklet......right?)

asif9t9
06-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Although we can understand why a crook is a crook, we can't just accept it. It's one thing for dealers to charge more than anywhere else. But it's another when they aren't even following their own service manuals. Criminal.

EvilEric
06-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Although we can understand why a crook is a crook, we can't just accept it. It's one thing for dealers to charge more than anywhere else. But it's another when they aren't even following their own service manuals. Criminal.

I think it's recommendations based on case by case basis? Someone had said depending on the type of driving and length of time things might be different. Like if the car was 4 years old and at 48k is different then 1 year and 48k.

It's not really Criminal, they aren't forcing you to do anything. It's just business.

Flagrum_3
06-13-2007, 04:44 AM
I think it's recommendations based on case by case basis? Someone had said depending on the type of driving and length of time things might be different. Like if the car was 4 years old and at 48k is different then 1 year and 48k.

It's not really Criminal, they aren't forcing you to do anything. It's just business.

Actually I think its a normal practice at alot of dealerships to recommend unnessary maintenance, but like Flippy said earlier, its ultimately up to the customer to decide if they want it or not.But let me also add its up to the customer to educate themselves! They shiould get their heads outta their asses and 1.-Read the Manual, specifically the maintenance schedule which pertains to their location.(Remember the Manual is your friend) and 2.-Read all info pertaining to their warranty (Carefully) be it on the internet; Mazda.ca or from the dealers (Literature) not from the Service advisor or anyone else....All the info is there, you just have to use it!.

_3

Chiburashka
06-13-2007, 05:35 AM
I just had my 59,000k service done at MoT (late, I came in at 60,000k) and it was "recommended" that I also flush my transmission fluid, fuel injectors, and brake fluid. I didn't do any of those but I did however replace my rear rotors and pads. So basic service + new rotors/pads = $467.00 with tax if I recall correctly...oh and that includes my Tm3 discount which amounted to $15.00 lol

asif9t9
06-13-2007, 08:02 AM
The service advisor can see how many kms are on the car. And he knows what model year the car is. If a 2006 model is driven 48,000 kms, then fine, he can advise you to do more.

I think the point is, I can't expect Joe Mechanic down the street, or even the CT guys, to know how a Mazda is different than a Kia. CT even posts their own recommended schedule, which is obviously not specific to any car.

But I think we should expect dealer advisors to know the manual and to advise as such. It's nice to say we should read the manual, but that's not why people go to the dealer. You go to the dealer so they can do what's necessary to keep the car running smooth. Not so they can arbitrarily decide to jerk you around for an extra few hundred bucks for something that's not required in the manual.

whiteomega
06-13-2007, 09:53 AM
i'm not saying the dealer is wrong about recommending service that isn't in the manual; as you say, the obviously know the cars fairly well. if they see something that needs to be done, they can (and should) recommend it. but if nothing at all needs to be done beyond what's prescribed in the manual, and yet they recommend it be done anyway, i would have a problem with that. as always, take everything with a grain of salt; i probably would have it done if i had a good reason for it to be done.

in my book, "protecting your warranty" isn't a good enough reason to have maintenance done above and beyond what the manual recommends, especially not when it's close to a thousand bucks. if the fluid manufacturer recommends instead to flush and replace at 48,000km that's another story.

[Edit: i also think it's a good idea to read the manual and *know* your recommended service schedule; that way you can at least ask why the dealer recommends a different schedule, and stay informed as to your options. As Flippy said too: you don't have to go with what the dealer recommends.]

Flagrum_3
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
The service advisor can see how many kms are on the car. And he knows what model year the car is. If a 2006 model is driven 48,000 kms, then fine, he can advise you to do more.

I think the point is, I can't expect Joe Mechanic down the street, or even the CT guys, to know how a Mazda is different than a Kia. CT even posts their own recommended schedule, which is obviously not specific to any car.

But I think we should expect dealer advisors to know the manual and to advise as such. It's nice to say we should read the manual, but that's not why people go to the dealer. You go to the dealer so they can do what's necessary to keep the car running smooth. Not so they can arbitrarily decide to jerk you around for an extra few hundred bucks for something that's not required in the manual.

....Okay, keep your head up your ass, its your choice :loco

_3

asif9t9
06-13-2007, 06:34 PM
What's wrong with this world is too many people (read, YOU) are willing to accept the way things are instead of expecting more. My head's not up my ass. It's threads like these that convince me not to bother with dealerships. They're crooks like everyone else. They also don't always know what they're talking about. And they charge more. So, yes, I actually do pay attention to what needs to be done on my car, and I just go where's cheaper.

But if anyone who works at a dealership is reading this and cares....If your advisors were honest enough that I could just trust them, I'd be happy to pay more money to not have to worry about service schedules. But oh well. In another lifetime.

FLIPDADY
06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
What's wrong with this world is too many people (read, YOU) are willing to accept the way things are instead of expecting more. My head's not up my ass. It's threads like these that convince me not to bother with dealerships. They're crooks like everyone else. They also don't always know what they're talking about. And they charge more. So, yes, I actually do pay attention to what needs to be done on my car, and I just go where's cheaper.

But if anyone who works at a dealership is reading this and cares....If your advisors were honest enough that I could just trust them, I'd be happy to pay more money to not have to worry about service schedules. But oh well. In another lifetime.
Ah you must be a warranty customer. Just come in only to do warranty and nothing else. Every dealership has someone like you. So next time something goes wrong b/c you decided to cheap out and go elsewhere good luck.

whiteomega
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
you can't *not* bother with the dealership; they probably know their cars better than most independant mechanics. that being said, it's up to you to do the research and know what is and isn't recommended for your car.

despite what i may say to the contrary, i still intend to get service done at the dealer, and i still intend to ask about the service, what is required, and why (especially if it differs from the manual).

Like anything else, you make your decision based on as many facts as you can get your hands on.

Wild Weasel
06-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I think a big problem is that people generally expect garages to rip them off, so they're inherently distrusful.

If the service advisors were straight-up about this stuff, then people would probably be ok with them and make their own decisions. If the service advisor says "Look... the brake fluid normally gets changed every 80k km's but you've put on 40k km's in a year of mostly city driving so you should really get it changed sooner." it would go a lot further than simply saying you need the brake fluid changed and then having the customer find out later that the manual says you don't need it until 80k km's. That's when you feel ripped off whether the advisor was correct or not.

Unfortunately, we're left thinking that it's the advisor's priority to try and upsell you on whatever they can to make some money. That may or may not be the case, but it tends to be the suspicion for people just going in.

Then, when they get to know you, the'll get a feel for whether or not you'll go for the BS or whether they're just going to drive you away and adjust their approach accordingly. That's just good salesmanship!

majic
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
I think a big problem is that people generally expect garages to rip them off, so they're inherently distrusful.

If the service advisors were straight-up about this stuff, then people would probably be ok with them and make their own decisions. If the service advisor says "Look... the brake fluid normally gets changed every 80k km's but you've put on 40k km's in a year of mostly city driving so you should really get it changed sooner." it would go a lot further than simply saying you need the brake fluid changed and then having the customer find out later that the manual says you don't need it until 80k km's. That's when you feel ripped off whether the advisor was correct or not.

BRAVO!!!

http://toons.artie.com/toons/hands_clapping/arg-hands-clap-fas-bluebg.gif

that is exactly what is missing.. the human touch of the transaction instead of "gimme the keys.. oh you need to get this done.. and that"

majic
06-17-2007, 01:03 AM
my car has never been touched by another shop (unless under insurance at which point it wasn't my say)

actually you DO have a LOT to say in that situation.. although the ons co may not provide lifetime warranty on the job but the shop normally would.. no need to go to shitty places that get kickbacks from the ins cos just b/c they refer you there..

asif9t9
06-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Anyone ever add up the cost of servicing, based on going to the dealer? I don't know the current dealer rates. Do they vary from dealership to dealership? The cost of fluid changes, but also for changing brakes, etc.

rcd001
10-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Dealer rate is $99.99 per hour. i have been advised that the main defect in the Mazda 3 is that the rear breaks fail prematurely. One would thing the front breaks would go first when they have over 60% of the breaking load.

Get the dealership advice then get the work done at a good mechanic, I recommend street performance. Jimmy will only use Mazda OEM parts unless you say otherwise so your warranty is not voided.

garboui
10-06-2007, 11:30 AM
ive read in alot of these posts about machining rotors. from my experience and knowledge i have gathered is, DO NOT HAVE YOUR ROTORS MACHINED!!!!!

on modern cars rotors are designed with just enough material to go through a useful life. once you machine them theres a good chance that you'll be below recommended minimum spec unless they're brand new. also the cost of labor to have them taken off and turned is usually >75% to a new rotor. why would you spend all that money to have a rotor turned to get maybe another 30-40k out of them when you can just start fresh and have them last up to and over 100k?

also alot of the "pre mature maintenance" that people are being recommended is more so what the mechanic is recommending and not the service dept. the service dept will merely just try and sell you on the mechanics recommendation. for example, my dad gets free oil changes with his accord. at one oil change he gets a report that everything is good, recommended air filter change, and 60% brake pads left. 6k later he gets another oil change and a list of "urgent" things to be done comes back: brake pads are dangerously low, lower ball joint needs replacing (car has 75k on it and avoids pot holed like the plague) and wheel barrings need done. well the service advisor tried to sell my dad on this obscene amount of service because with out it the car is a death trap to drive. when ihe got back i took a look at it, everything is still perfect. the dealership was told about theese recommendations, the mech was actually canned the day earlier.

this was an extreme case of unnecessary maintenance but sometimes it come down to the mechs thinking that if they recommend more things and making the dealership more money theyre doing a better job.

rcd001
10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Don't trust the dealership and try to find a good mechanic. To do this day it is beyond me why a simple oil change with appointment made a week in advance takes a minimum of 4 hours.

It should take 1 hour MAX!!!

srbin
10-07-2007, 12:09 PM
I had my 2006 Mazda 3 checked few months ago. Back than i had 40,000km on it in just 9 months. The only thing they wanted to do was flush the tranny and I agreed since i drove a lot (and still do :) ). BUT brake pads? rotors? coolant? NO!
btw i always go to MOT