PDA

View Full Version : MoT service price

vblanche
04-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Hello,

I heard some much good things about it that I booked a scheduled maintenance with MoT.

However, they're asking $177+tax for the following:

Replace Engine Oil
Lubricate All Hinges, Latches and Door Locks
Replace Engine Oil Filter
Rotate Tires
Inspect A/C Compressor and Refrigerant
Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid Level
Inspect Power Steering Fluid Level
Inspect Tires and Adjust Air Pressures, Including Spare Tire
Inspect Brake Fluid Level
Inspect Engine Coolant Level
Inspect Window Washer Fluid Level
Inspect Function of All Lights
Inspect Disc Brakes (includes clean and lubricate brake pads and caliper slide rails)

An oil change + tire rotation costs 39+20 = $59+tax. So, where does the difference go?

"the other services which cost 160 (16K) 210 (24K) 300 (48K)": is that the standard costs for all Mazda services?

Cheers
vince

vblanche
04-10-2007, 06:19 PM
thanks for your feedback. My car (2005) has only 18k, but had only the first 8k oil change. This service is labelled as 24k, so I guess It does hurt to have a major service, but the difference in price surprised me at first.

Wild Weasel
04-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Looking at that list, it reminds me of an old job when I had to do a status report every week showing what I'd done.

Of course, if I sat on my ass all week because there wasn't anything to do, I'd have to pump up the little bullshit tasks so it would look like I wasn't completely worthless to the company.

If I were a mechanic and had to do this, I suppose I'd put down things like "Inspect Brake Fluid Level".

Let's be honest here. Most of those "inspect" items are all things that should be done as a courtesy any time your car is in the dealer for anything at all.

I mean come on... inspect washer fluid level? When I take my Sunfire in for oil changes, they don't "inspect" my washer fluid. They fill it up.

I'm not trying to trivialize the value of the service, but let's be real here. They're really trying to gussie up what they're doing to try and make it worth the money, aren't they?

On this whole list, I see only these actual work items:

Oil and filter change.
Brake service.
Tire rotation.

All the rest of that stuff is just little things they should do while the oil is draining out so they can claim they have good customer service.

And I question the validity of "brake service" on a car with 4-wheel discs. But that's just me.

vblanche
04-10-2007, 08:25 PM
I agree with you...Most of these inspections I'm doing them myself, even oil change doesn't look too difficult. But what can I do? when I will need to resale my car, if there is no dealership service history, potential buyers could runaway?

Wild Weasel
04-10-2007, 08:49 PM
I just noticed that the title here is specific to MoT. I'd be willing to bet that this isn't a MoT issue but rather a general Mazda issue. I imagine they set their service intervals and packages across the board. It just pays to be informed so you can know what you actually need and what you can do yourself or shouldn't have to pay extra for.

You'll still have the dealer service history even if you just do oil changes without all that extra stuff. That's all I've ever done and never thought anything of it. Heck, every time I get an oil change on the Sunfire, they give me an ever-lengthening list of things that I'm past due for but will never have them do.

Even if you never go to a dealer and just keep all your receipts for oil and filters to show it's been done, potential buyers shouldn't take issue. I agree that some could be spooked, but wouldn't think it's going to really cost you in getting it sold.

Triplebogey
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I agree with you...Most of these inspections I'm doing them myself, even oil change doesn't look too difficult. But what can I do? when I will need to resale my car, if there is no dealership service history, potential buyers could runaway?

No need to take it to dealer. Just get the service done at a reputible shop and keep receipts. This way you only pay for what actually requires servicing and not for trivial things like inspecting your washer fluids. You are not required to take your car to the dealer for all service in order to maintain warranty............

who takes their car to the dealer for servicing? -Sam Malone, Cheers

vblanche
04-10-2007, 10:27 PM
reputible shop? any recommendation?

midas?

thanks

majic
04-10-2007, 10:51 PM
WW, it's a mazda servicing schedule.. as mentioned in another 48K service post

http://www.whitbymazda.com/en/service/maintenance/index.spy?make=Mazda&model=3&year=2005&lcarids=1053900105%7CSport+GT#dropmenu

it doesnt look like there's ANYTHING worth my time until 100K+ besides tire swaps and oil changes... now i'm out of warranty so there's really no need to do anything above and beyond $50 a service (oil and oil filter).. and btw.. NEVER having my vehicle serviced with mazda (aside for FIRST oil change at 8K) i had 3 or 4 warranty/TSB services free of charge.. (within my 80K)

Triplebogey
04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
reputible shop? any recommendation?

midas?

thanks

There are many to choose from. I have been taking my car to a guy who has established himself a good reputation in Guelph for over 20 years. Since you are probably not from Guelph this won't help you but I would ask around and worst case try a few places. Midas, Tech Net, even CDN Tire. The key is that you only pay for the services that are necessary.

cheers!

vblanche
04-10-2007, 11:00 PM
so basically, I should go somewhere else and save money...

Triplebogey
04-10-2007, 11:45 PM

Roger, Vector, Victor !

FLIPDADY
04-11-2007, 08:03 AM
I would say get your oil changes done yourself or at another shop (with OEM filters)but if you want to keep your books in check do the major services. Trust me on this one.

Wild Weasel
04-11-2007, 08:09 AM
WW, it's a mazda servicing schedule.. as mentioned in another 48K service post

This is what I figured.

You know... here's a tip to the Mazda marketing people... they should charge a regular amount for an oil change and then list all these "inspect" items as complimentary. People would appreciate it more and not feel so much like they're being nickel and dimed.

I would say get your oil changes done yourself or at another shop (with OEM filters)but if you want to keep your books in check do the major services. Trust me on this one.

Hey... which ones do you specifically recommend?

Jeff-TheBiz
04-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I do an oil change every 8k, not an '8k service' an oil change.

When I got to the 48 I did the 48k service, about $200 IIRC.

If you get an oil change I think it is like $30 or so, same as everywhere else. bring your own oil & filter it is like $15 or so.

The only advantage I see of doing the service at a dealership is that when you come in, they run you VIN to see if you have any outstanding recalls etc. When they do a larger service, they also look for warranty work that could be done, which Mazda pays for anyhow.

The choice is up to the consumer, while under Warranty, I would do the service at a dealership (even when I didn't work for one) After the warranty is passed, I had a 'guy' that owned a shop in Keswick that never did me wrong.

vblanche
04-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone.

Which oil & filter do you recommend? or where to buy them?

thanks

FLIPDADY
04-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Thanks everyone.

Which oil & filter do you recommend? or where to buy them?

thanks
Use the OEM filter and the oil is entirely up to you. Buy the recomended viscosity oil.

Gizzmo_jr
04-11-2007, 12:08 PM
what about type? recommend upgrade to semi-synthetic or full synthetic?

vblanche
04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
One last question: if I have this service done by Midas (for ex.) and keep the receipts, is it still ok for the factory warranty? Does the factory warranty imply that you have to have the maintenance done by Mazda?

Wild Weasel
04-11-2007, 01:12 PM
No, you do not have to go to Mazda for service in order to maintain the factory warranty. You only have to be able to show that proper service was done.

Gizzmo_jr
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
what about DIY oil changes, does that classify?

Wild Weasel
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Sure, but make sure you keep your receipts for the filters and oil to show when you did it.

Note that if you do your own oil change and you crack the housing, spill out your oil on the highway, and seize your engine, that will not be covered under warranty.

If doing your own oil change (or having another shop do it) CAUSES the problem, then it will not be covered.

FLIPDADY
04-11-2007, 01:49 PM
what about type? recommend upgrade to semi-synthetic or full synthetic?
Well the stock oil is already semi-synthetic.

Gizzmo_jr
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Flippy, I'll probably go to full synthetic after my 8000km or if I deside to change after 1000km (probably).

Simkins
07-14-2007, 12:21 PM
No, you do not have to go to Mazda for service in order to maintain the factory warranty. You only have to be able to show that proper service was done.

Thanks for that, I ended up going to MoT today for my 1st service, I went in for an oil change, but got told it was best to have the "service" so I ended up paying $63.XX. Sure they were nice enough, and I got to see Jeff, but, I don't think I'll go back to the dealer for general service like that. No disrespect to MoT or anything, that just the way it is.

Jeff-TheBiz
07-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that, I ended up going to MoT today for my 1st service, I went in for an oil change, but got told it was best to have the "service" so I ended up paying $63.XX. Sure they were nice enough, and I got to see Jeff, but, I don't think I'll go back to the dealer for general service like that. No disrespect to MoT or anything, that just the way it is.

Sorry man..

You shoulda told me before they started.

Lemme take care of you next time.. call me in 4 months.

BTW enjoy your new job and congrats again.

Simkins
07-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Sorry man..

You shoulda told me before they started.

Lemme take care of you next time.. call me in 4 months.

BTW enjoy your new job and congrats again.

Thanks Jeff, next time I won't forget coffee either. Thanks again.