PDA

View Full Version : new system setup questions

bigfoot0
04-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm considering a new system for my 04 hatch. I'm big into home audio, but new to car audio. I have experience with some, but not many, of the manufacturers in the car audio game.

I'm not to planning on dumping to much $$$ into my system right now, just cant stand the stock audio setup.

Firstly, the type of music I listen to is mostly pop/rock some bass, but not much hip-hop stuff. I like clean bright highs and punchy lows. (my home setup up = axiom,HSU sub,pioneer elite)

Ok. So I've decided on a new HU and I'm planning to pick up four speakers to replace my stock along with a four channel amp. Later on, I plan to pick up a mono amp and prob a 8-10" sub.

I will be driving without the sub for quite some time so I had some general questions about car audio.

How does this setup sound 6.5 components in the front and coaxial in the rear. Should I select a bright speaker like infinty ref for the front for mids and highs and have a low pass for the back? Are there particular brands that are known for producing better mid-low end for the rear speakers? Is it a better idea to operate full range in the front or high pass?

BF.

S.F.W.
04-27-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't know that much about car audio, but I can tell you some. I use component front and coaxial rear's. I went with JL speakers all around. I listened to many different set ups and finally decided these were the best sounding all around.

bigfoot0
04-27-2007, 08:48 PM
your running a sub for your low end ??

I'm curious if I can do an okay job replicating the low end with only four speakers..no sub.

BF.

ps. JL = nice.

S.F.W.
04-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I am running a sub, again JL.. If you want to check out my system, we can do it at a meet. We can disconnect the sub, and you can get an idea of what it will sound like.

S.F.W.
04-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Vlad is selling a set of Kaption speakers, which are very good quality. He's selling two, but I'm sure he could get you two more. Also, he's got a JL 500/5, so you could pick up the Kaption speakers, and amp for now, then add the sub later..
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17743
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17777
Just a thought...

wingnut12
04-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm running the Kaption 5x7s for rear fill. They're good.

Although you mentioned that you weren't spending a lot on amp/speakers, you didn't mention a budget.

MPS
04-28-2007, 12:22 AM
i got MPT in front and 5/7 rear

Flagrum_3
04-28-2007, 08:35 AM
If you're not looking at spending too much, might I suggest you forget getting a new HU, keep the oem unit and get a Line Output Converter(Navone has a great unit and its inexpensive), then get a set of good quality 6.5" components along with an amp for the front only (better SQ, sound-stage-wise) and the money u save not purchasing a HU and second set of speakers you can then afford to get a mono amp and sub.(You probably will not be satisfied with the bass-output from just speakers even for your listening taste)

_3

bigfoot0
04-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Hi again,

Well, I'm looking to spend about 1k on 4 speakers and an amp. The sub(s) gonna come a while later and I just wanted to know how good my lows will be with no sub. Sounds like I'll be unsatisfied until I get a sub or two.

I haven't heard the kaptions yet, I'll give them a listen soon.

Ok, So if I go with a four speaker setup do I:

a) full range on fronts and rear used to fill (no highs)
b) mid-highs on front and mid-lows on back

Browsing around on the net I noticed that some 6" subs do exist (JL) anyone know about them? I'm guessing mounting these in a door is a no no.

Finally, Any brands better known for producing better lows in there 6.5 coaxs?

BF.

TheProfessor
04-28-2007, 12:11 PM
When I did my install I noticed quite a decline in low end from the aftermarket speakers vs. the stock units. The mids and highs were leagues better, but the bottom end was a little softer. Having said that, I would not really have enjoyed my music very much if I had to keep it that way while saving for a sub. If you do go this route, I would suggest using some sound deadening material behind the speakers to help with the low end and block some noise.

I too am running a full JL set up in case you wondered.

bigfoot0
04-28-2007, 06:02 PM
thanks for the advice, I've begun my quest. Checked out some alpines today.. Liked the xd components..didn't like the others much...

Hopefully, I'll be able to check out some systems at the bbq 2morrow!

c u guys there!

BF.

Flagrum_3
04-29-2007, 06:23 PM
You should just get the JL vr650csi's components, excellent speakers, you won't be disappointed (guaranteed) and I believe their like $250 a pair at G&G electronics, a four channel amp rated 50W Rms per channel should surfice.I personaly am not into rear fill speakers unless you can find good mid-bass drivers and can limit their frequencies, it just ruins the sound stage IMO.
The four channel amp gives you the option of either bridging for more power to the fronts or if you decide on rear fills.But like I said not spending on a set of rear fills and a new HU you can immediately purchase a mono amp and small sub 8"or10" (you don't need much) and you'll have a complete system which you would be more satisfied with immediately.You don't have to purchase new, there are lots of good used amps and subs out there, just ask the Professor, otherwise IMO just getting speakers with no sub, you will not be happy with the sound the whole time you're waiting to get a sub and amp,... that I am pretty sure of as you've stated your kind of an audio buff.You can always update components in the future one by one as your budget allows.!

_3

KeithB
04-30-2007, 06:03 PM
A suggestion...keep the HU and get a good amp, something with a high pass filter switch.(maybe high level inputs as well)
Go with the stock door speakers(I use the front only) and existing wiring.
Buy a powered sub (Bazooka makes a good one) and see how you like it.
Buy door speakers later and then a new HU if you want.
I would be glad to let you hear that setup in my car to let you get some idea of whats what.
You might be surprised how nice it sounds.
Don't spend a whole lot of $$ right away on door speakers before getting a sub.
My $.02