PDA

View Full Version : New TSB on engine undercover

Skarbro
05-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Interesting TSB is out now for the engine undercover bolts and clips...

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0056.pdf

FLIPPY - What is the cost for the new clips and bolts? I think I want to be preemptive in this situation since I'm doing my own oil changes.

majic
05-05-2007, 10:34 AM
heh.. that was the DUMBEST design ever.. i use zip ties.. $1 a pack that lasts a few oil changes..

btw.. shouldn't this be covered under warranty so you wouldn't have to buy your own?

Skarbro
05-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Well I'm kinda expecting them to rust out eventually - maybe even after the warranty runs out. If they are cheap, then might as well get them now.

garboui
05-05-2007, 12:30 PM
when i did my tranny fluid all cam off fine except the two rear ones and luckilly the two accessible ones. nothing that a little liquid wrench and vice crips couldnt fix.

allthough it would be a royal pita if the front ones were to seize up

Skarbro
05-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Interesting that the TSB says to use anti-seize on the bolts...

Flagrum_3
05-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Interesting that the TSB says to use anti-seize on the bolts...

I don't understand the anti-seize when lithium grease would be sufficient to protect them from corrosion etc; that's what I've sprayed them with, keeps them like new!

_3

cyberscorpi0
05-07-2007, 08:48 AM
It took me half an hour to un-screw 2 bolts yesterday (for the undercover)! It's impossible to remove the rest. So I decided to cut a hole big enough to remove the oil filter.

Skarbro
05-08-2007, 05:34 PM
Just got some prices:

1.Clip-nuts are $1.86 each x 4

2.Clip-nuts are $1.45 each x 4

3.Bolts are $1.02 each x 7

queens49
05-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Just got some prices:

1.Clip-nuts are $1.86 each x 4

2.Clip-nuts are $1.45 each x 4

3.Bolts are $1.02 each x 7

Which one is what for items 1. and 2.? For TSB shows 4 clip-nuts for the sides, and 3 clip-nuts for the front.

Skarbro
05-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Beats me. http://www.precizion.org/forums/images/smiles/gotme.gif

WeatherB
06-09-2007, 08:41 AM
Are any dealerships doing this as "preventative" maintenance? I took my mom's car into Scarboro Mazda for an oil change and they said it is only done if required.

craigrodrigues88
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
i just realized my undercover was hanging down! they completely ripped it off for the oil change its barely being held up now. So annoyed that they didnt say anything or at least secure it properly! My dad almost ripped my head off because he thought it was me!

MAZDA Kitten
06-09-2007, 04:35 PM
LOL ... your dad...

doughboyr6
06-09-2007, 04:41 PM
i went to the dealer today and asked about this, they said they will replace IF necessary, and they didn't seem to have too much difficulty taking it off...but at one point, needed 2 mechanics to get it done.

craigrodrigues88
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
my dad is a beast! :(

WeatherB
06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Hmm. I think I'll play is safe and use some zip ties when I do the first oil change.

yuro
06-19-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda3/docs/0056.pdf

how do you loop zip ties? from the pic I can see only two holes where you can loop a zip tie... how do you loop zip tie at the front?

pinoy_eh
07-11-2007, 02:48 PM
I had this issue last month when I was doing an oil change 1 week before driving to Toronto. Managed to remove 1 bolt easily, while I have to dremel the head of 1 bolt. 1 bolt is still stuck as I did not have enough time to finish everything, so I rather do it some other time.

My concern is, will the dealership remove/replace the rest of the bolts if I book for an oil change and complain about those bolt with supporting copy of the TSB ? Are they going to charge any fee ?

mazda lover
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
I had this issue last month when I was doing an oil change 1 week before driving to Toronto. Managed to remove 1 bolt easily, while I have to dremel the head of 1 bolt. 1 bolt is still stuck as I did not have enough time to finish everything, so I rather do it some other time.

My concern is, will the dealership remove/replace the rest of the bolts if I book for an oil change and complain about those bolt with supporting copy of the TSB ? Are they going to charge any fee ?

Great question, so far no reply, I had the same problem, when I did my last oil change one bolt wouldn't come off, at the very back, ended up breaking the plastic cover where the bolt was, so nothing holding that part up at the moment, my next oil change will have to use a zip tie..

Caz
07-25-2007, 01:11 PM
You break, you pay. Is my guess.

SolidState
07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
I am taking a copy of the TSB into the dealership. I am going to ask that they replace the underbelly plastic and all the clips/bolts.

rallyboy
07-26-2007, 12:40 PM
An alternative solution that I used with stainless steel hardware from Home Depot...cost just over $20.

The original mount uses 5 plugs or clips and bolts across the front of the tray and two at each back corner inside the wheels.
I used the centre three at the front and the furthest back at each corner and it holds fin.

Parts:
front:
1/4" x 20, 1.5" long stainless steel bolts - qty 3
1/4" x 20 ss nuts - qty 3
1/4" x 20 ss wingnuts - qty 3
1/4" ss washers - qty 9

back:
5/16" x 1" long ss clevis pins - qty 2
5/16" ss washers - qty 4
1/4" steel washers - thinnest you can find, to make split washers - qty 2
hairpin clip to fit clevis pin - qty 2. Theas are not available in stainless but at $0.29, if they rust, replace them

Front:
The front attachments hold the front of the main undertray and the back of the panel that goes from the rad to the air dam. Remove the existing clips on the plastic crossmember under the rad. Insert a bolt with a washer from the top, install a nut with another washer on the bottom of crossmember and tighten. Do not put the front panel between the nunt and crossmember, let it hang as the main tray will hold it in position when fastened. Install main tray (you will have to flex it over the ends of the bolts once the tabs at the front are inserted) and install a washer and ss wingnut. Front done.

Back:
The same can be done at the back by installing bolts on the tray and the wingnuts below the fender panels, in which case you will need to add 2 more sets of front hardware and none of the back I have listed.
I took the clevis pins and turned them in a drill to make a groove about half way down. Install the clevis pin with one washer in the rear most opening, from the top down. Install an ss washer on the bottom of the tray and put the split washer into the groove below this. (to make split washer, take thin 1/4" washer, cut one side with side cutters and open with pliers. Slide over clevis pin and straighten as best as possible, fitting into the groove)
You may have to open up the holes in the fender panels a little to allow the clevis pins to drop through, then install hairpin clip below fender panel

Done.
It sounds complex, but it will take less than an hour...the figuring it out took me much longer.

I have pics of the install, but apparently can't post attachemnts (mods?)
PM if you want the pics to go along with the written, it will help.

Rallyboy.

mazda lover
07-26-2007, 09:35 PM
I am taking a copy of the TSB into the dealership. I am going to ask that they replace the underbelly plastic and all the clips/bolts.

good luck and let us know how you make out..

Azi
08-09-2007, 04:10 PM

going to the dealer like that makes it seem like your forcing them to do it. and no dealer likes when that happens

instead, why dont you go there, and state the actualy problem.

tell them you are having trouble screwing then under cover on.

phattires
11-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Not sure what the TSB says but here is my experience.
Car to date has 14 oil changes. The first 4 changes were done at selling dealer Mazda of Brampton. :flaming
I happen to crawl under car and notice that there were missing bolts and the push in clips that secure this undercover on.
I go back to dealer and order new bolts and clips and they wanted to charge me for them. I told them they are the only ones that had serviced the car, and why they were missing....they said they likely broke.
Well I have done all the oil changes since then ( 10 to date ) and have not had to replace a bolt or clip since. I applied anti-seize to the bolts and metal clips, white grease to the plastic push in clips ( 2 of them ). There is no problems in removing them when service the vehicle.

WeatherB
01-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Has anyone tried to replace these clips themselves? I got 14 of them for both our Mazda3 and had a hard time installing the four which are on each side, closest to the wheels.

It seems that the clips extend about 4mm too far on each side. Because of this, when I try to put the screws in, the holes no long line up.

The only solution I can think of, is to make a slit for each clip on the wheel wheel plastic cover to allow the new clips to protrude.

Skarbro
01-06-2008, 11:56 AM
I haven't replaced my bolts, nor do I think I will ever have to. I dab a little grease on each bolt thread every time I put them back on.

WeatherB
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I haven't replaced my bolts, nor do I think I will ever have to. I dab a little grease on each bolt thread every time I put them back on.

One of the bolts did break on my mom's car (2007). I figured I would replace them all as a preemptive move.

danaussie
08-24-2008, 11:01 PM
had mine in for the door recall and asked that they also do the bolt upgrade gp mazda does it to all of the 3 they service without even being asked. Also the screen for the radio was done there with no issue other than having to drive the hour and a half to show them it was messed up new kid in service

malam
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I now realize this is an old issue, but I went for an oil cahnge today at Scarborough Mazda and was told that the bolts holding the engine undercover is all rusted out and the cover was cracked. The dealer wanted to charge about $200.00 + to replace the undercover and hardware. I asked them to leave it for a while. I thought I would check on this forum first. My car is a 2006 Mazda 3 with only 80,000km on it. My question is - will the TSB cover mine ? Where can I obtain a copy of the TSB.
Thanks.

Ex-Rolla
05-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I now realize this is an old issue, but I went for an oil cahnge today at Scarborough Mazda and was told that the bolts holding the engine undercover is all rusted out and the cover was cracked. The dealer wanted to charge about $200.00 + to replace the undercover and hardware. I asked them to leave it for a while. I thought I would check on this forum first. My car is a 2006 Mazda 3 with only 80,000km on it. My question is - will the TSB cover mine ? Where can I obtain a copy of the TSB.
Thanks.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but TSB's aren't recalls so the Dealer does not have to replace the bolts for you (and the cover). A technical service bulletin is similar to a "FYI" for the service tech.

Going back to the cover... If you can gain access to the underbody of the car safely, i would suggest buying the cover and a number of stainless steel bolts, as mentioned above, and doing it yourself. Trust me, it's really easy to do, assuming your bolts aren't stripped and can come off easily.

Good luck!

malam
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but TSB's aren't recalls so the Dealer does not have to replace the bolts for you (and the cover). A technical service bulletin is similar to a "FYI" for the service tech.

Going back to the cover... If you can gain access to the underbody of the car safely, i would suggest buying the cover and a number of stainless steel bolts, as mentioned above, and doing it yourself. Trust me, it's really easy to do, assuming your bolts aren't stripped and can come off easily.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a garage to work in, however, I'll consider buying the cover and find a mechanical shop close by for my next oil change and do it at the same time. The car is too low for me to work under it on my driveway.

brokenfinn
05-17-2009, 11:46 PM
My dealer (in thunder bay), is the only dealer in town. They told me that they can't get the clips...only the bolts! grrrr so now i have new bolts but stripped and rusty clips....

04mz3
08-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I bought My 04 used last yr w/ about 50k , the undercover was missing and didn't notice till much later. Who ever did an oil change early on in the cars life literally used a hack saw and cut the under cover off where it screws into the bottom of the fender wells. Had to buy a new undercover w/ clips and screws 4 about $150 and put it on myself. I still have to use Zip ties in place of the screws on the fender wells because its so mangled.

Auroraboy
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
What model years does this affect? Does the 2010 GT 2.5L have the same cover etc.. or is this for 2009 and earlier? Thank you.