PDA

View Full Version : Question about city Bylaws and car washing

MattC
05-07-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey all, I searched and couldn’t find any existing info on this, so I figured I would put out a question to everyone in the GTA.

I have heard rumors about there being some sort of bylaw passed that carries a hefty fine if you are caught washing your car in your driveway/residential neighborhood.
Is there any truth to this? I have looked on the City of Toronto bylaw site, and was unable to find the amendment in the last few years.

I was hoping to save the 10$ a week and wash my car myself (mostly because I am incredibly anal about the cleanliness of my car)

I have seen people on my street do it, but they have driveways that are recessed into their properties, and mine is right in front of my house for all to see.
Any knowledge on this topic would be helpful, Thanks.

Wild Weasel
05-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I've never heard of such a thing! How crap would that be?

I wash my car in my driveway and so does everyone else on my street.

Cardinal Fang
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I think that only applies to washing your car when the City/Town is under a "Water Advisory." I think it's a little early in the year for that.

MPS
05-07-2007, 01:19 PM
+1

MattC
05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
I think that only applies to washing your car when the City/Town is under a "Water Advisory." I think it's a little early in the year for that.

That is what I figured too, I have heard this from a few people though.

I am ready to just go for it and wash, If anyone knows of actual documents about this, I still would like to see them.

MPS
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM
i think the best way is by calling the city and asking :)

garboui
05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
ive even washed my car on the road at the end of the driveway when its really dirty so i dont have to hose mud off the drivewway after. this has never been a prob.

because where i tend to drive alot in the summer im washing my car at least 2-3 times a week either in the driver of the road and ive never had a problem.

i think that law may only apply under water shortages but even then i think i may have still washed my car cause i cant stand seeing it dirty.

bb1999jan17
05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
i heard that few years ago, now i see others wash theirs on the driveway

Ex-Rolla
05-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Only problem anyone may come across is if you use soap that is not biodegradable which is next to impossible to find... Almost all the soaps out there are biodegradable, so realistically, there shouldn't be any reason for you to get in trouble... I pay my water bill for a reason :), well ok, my parents do....

jaguar
05-07-2007, 08:39 PM
i think i heard this a few years back. My father told me he read somewhere we cant use soap to wash our cars so we used nothing but water! I didnt own a car back then so no probs. My mother tried washing her car once with dish detergent and the neighbour across from us said it was illegal. So I asked my other neighbour the same question when he was washing his car and he said "if it was illegal, why do they sell it at crappy tire?". True that! So I wash my car with car wash soap now. No one has complained so far.

justin
05-07-2007, 10:26 PM
i think i heard this a few years back. My father told me he read somewhere we cant use soap to wash our cars so we used nothing but water! I didnt own a car back then so no probs. My mother tried washing her car once with dish detergent and the neighbour across from us said it was illegal. So I asked my other neighbour the same question when he was washing his car and he said "if it was illegal, why do they sell it at crappy tire?". True that! So I wash my car with car wash soap now. No one has complained so far.

I'd believe that... that stuff (dish detergent) is horrible for the environment. Not sure how much of it is biodegradable...

MattC
05-07-2007, 10:46 PM

Well thats what I was thinking, you would think if it was against the law, then Canadian Tire stores in Ontario should refrain from selling items such as the Mr.Clean car wash kits, and others.

I fished around for a few hours tonight to find my local councillor's email and I fired him off the question. Hopefully he will actually respond, and I can put this one to bed.

Till then if anyone else hears/knows anything please keep posting!

majic
05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Well thats what I was thinking, you would think if it was against the law, then Canadian Tire stores in Ontario should refrain from selling items such as the Mr.Clean car wash kits, and others.

canadian tire sells smoked/blue/pink/yellow licence plate covers, which are illegal to use in ontario!

costco sells radar detectors, which are also illegal to use in ontario..

they don't care that YOU get caught using them.. a sale for them is $ in their pocket.. lovely.. :loco

Broli
05-08-2007, 11:05 AM
true canadian tire and other places sell illeagle shit

but i dont see how it could be illeagle to wash you car

provided you are not using caustic chemicals or what not!

Walrus
05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Here in Waterloo region, the water restrictions start May 31 and go until Sept 30. http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/97dfc347666efede85256e590071a3d4/133f1c006428db2485256fcd005d0c49!OpenDocument

I can wash my vehicles on even numbered days. You need a spray nozzle on the end of the hose, so it isn't running all of the time.

Wild Weasel
05-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow. I just planted grass on half my lawn and I definitely still need to water it twice a day, and it's been more than 14 days since seeding.

I guess I'd be spending a lot of time there filling watering cans. :chuckle

little_wheelz
05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I use to work for a company that built water plants. In most regions the stat was about 80% of water useage was for irrigation (mainly farmers) and 10% for industry and 10% for personal use (i.e drinking/showers/ect...).

So if everyone planted a rock garden we would have lots of water to wash our cars!

MattC
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Ok so, I ended up finally getting a response from "AskWater" a service of the city of toronto providing info regarding any water inquiries.

this is what they sent me:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for your inquiry to Toronto's AskWater.

To respond to your question. There is not any bylaw that prevent you from washing your car in your driveway. The only thing we suggest to people is to use environmental friendly cleaner suppliers without hard chemicals that pollute our environment. You can find them at any store.

I hope this is helpful.

Just incase anyone else was wondering such as I was.

Woo hoo! gonna wash my car every weekend now!

Mods can lock it up if you want.

Wild Weasel
05-14-2007, 09:54 AM
Good stuff. Now I don't have to wear a balaclava while washing the car nor be prepared to run like hell if I hear sirens. :chuckle

MattC
05-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Guerilla car washing, coming to a borough near you.

I thought it sounded like a stupid bylaw if it existed, I am more happy that someone from the municipal government actually responded to a question from a citizen, and in the same day no less!