PDA

View Full Version : Show system with a stock headunit?

loganm3
05-31-2007, 09:38 PM
I've been into stereos all my life, and now I'm itching to put a booming system in my mazda. The problem is with all my old cars i used aftermarkter head units, now with stearing wheel mounted radio controls I want to keep the original unit. I know there has to be a product aviable to be able to hook up an amp, does anyone know where to buy one and how much they are?

And can I get anyone who's put a 15in into the wheel well to pm me with any advice.....like does it work? I only chose a 15 because I have a JL 15w6 kicking around in the basement. So I'm ok with using smaller, idealy I'd like 2 10's because I love the sound of 10's.

S.F.W.
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
you would need an Line Out Converter to connect the amps. The NAvone units are very good quality and only around $40 US.
You can also get an after market head unit and keep the steering wheel controls, using a swix type device:http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/UNIVERSAL_STEERING_WHEEL_CONTROL_BY_PAC_SWIX_p_597 .html

that's how I kept my steering wheel audio controls.
As for the sub's, I can't really guide you there as I have one small'ish 10" sub, and it provides plenty for me.

Virgy
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I picked up a jl clean sweep, a little more then a LOC but it hopefully will give me much better results. Now i gota find some time to install everything.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_cleansweep_pages.php?page_id=79

MattC
05-31-2007, 11:01 PM
I have a SWIX steering wheel type converter its ok, but sometimes the signal doesnt get received.

you have to be really deliberare when pressing the buttons, and you get useto it afer a while.

Also make sure theres nothing in the way of the eye, like hands or glasses or such. They make them now for some units that are actually wired to the steering wheels controls, Jeff at lockdown was telling me about them, so maybe try to give him a call to see what HU's they work with.

Unfortunately that new one didnt work with my system :( maybe next year...