PDA

View Full Version : Your MS3 running rich too?

Garu
06-01-2007, 02:01 PM
If the cleaned tailpipe becomes really black after 1 or 2 days of driving, I think that means the engine is not burning all the fuel. I've read from other forums that MS3 runs hella rich from stock.

Is yours same thing too? I've just installed MS CAI, which should help with that. Any suggestions?

Unoriginalusername
06-01-2007, 03:15 PM
exhaust, custom tunning, drive at lower rpm where its leaner

CanadaGTO
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Perfectly normal for the stock car... Keep plenty of rags handy :)

Wild Weasel
06-01-2007, 03:37 PM
I thought so. I mean... it's the exhaust. I expect it to turn black!

And at WOT, it runs rich by design.

flyinb22
06-01-2007, 04:35 PM
yah it's normal...quick wipe down with a rag every few days.

ovillems3
06-01-2007, 11:57 PM
definetly wipe often because i didnt and now my tip is screwed i try to clean it but its toast.

WhiteSpeed3
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
yup all of them run rich sometimes i forget and think theres a prob with my car

lokalmotive
06-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Welcome to the world of Mazda's super conservatively tuned ECUs!!! Haha. My MSP was the same way. It just needs to be tuned a little different but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Elder_MMHS
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the world of Mazda's super conservatively tuned ECUs!!! Haha. My MSP was the same way. It just needs to be tuned a little different but it's nothing to be concerned about.

Yup. Even the regular 2.3L cars run very rich. Soot is very common. Just something to clean-up a bit more often.

McGuyver_3
11-02-2007, 10:50 PM
the 2.0 also runs rich i have been told by another member driving behind me that he can smell it

Flagrum_3
11-03-2007, 04:38 PM
I've noticed at alot of meets; Alot of people's cars are running pretty rich, mine on the other hand seems to run pretty normal, whereas the soot is a greyish color and that's the way it should be, atleast for a normally asperated engine.As for it being normal for a Turbo, I'd question that, it could be possible though.Has anyone had their vehicle scanned at a dealer to confirm this?

Also for ovillems3 and anyone else who has an exhaust tip which looks like its toast,try using Silvo on it, my tip was looking pretty bad, with ground in dirt and heat stains etc; I rubbed a little bit of the stuff on there and wiped it off, tip looks like new again....just thought I'd share.

_3

Kris"Speed3"CWP
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
I am in the process of having my 2010 Speed3 scanned to resovle black soot from belching back on tailgate,back window, top spoiler and all over rear bumper. Even had car E-tested and did not belch out any soot on back of car to show tech and blew 100% clean, But 1hr later driving with little to no positive boost had the soot all over back of cleaned car!! Car has sunoco 94 running in it and did for e-test. when use SHell 91 get stumble when stepping into it at or below 2,000rpm in any gear before it starts hauling ass. Also when using 91 instead of 94 the soot problem is exagerated! Car is suppose to run on 91 but I have driveability issue when I put it in so I will put 91 back in it so dealer can solve this issue as 94 is not available everywhere!

MPS
02-14-2010, 01:46 PM
try cleaning ur MAF and check ur plugs
how many KM on the car ?
also check DI fuel pressure .. that is if you have a dash hawk

Zoom Zoom Boy
02-14-2010, 03:27 PM
I am in the process of having my 2010 Speed3 scanned to resovle black soot from belching back on tailgate,back window, top spoiler and all over rear bumper. Even had car E-tested and did not belch out any soot on back of car to show tech and blew 100% clean, But 1hr later driving with little to no positive boost had the soot all over back of cleaned car!! Car has sunoco 94 running in it and did for e-test. when use SHell 91 get stumble when stepping into it at or below 2,000rpm in any gear before it starts hauling ass. Also when using 91 instead of 94 the soot problem is exagerated! Car is suppose to run on 91 but I have driveability issue when I put it in so I will put 91 back in it so dealer can solve this issue as 94 is not available everywhere!

All MS3's run rich, but yours seems to be running really rich. What engine/exhaust mods do you have on the car, if any?
Also, my own MS3 doesn't seem to like the Shell 91 octane much either, on the 3 or 4 times I've had to use it since there wasn't a Sunoco station around. Just not as responsive at WOT and the car just runs rougher overall. On the flip side, it runs great on the Sunoco 94.

shu5892001
02-14-2010, 05:40 PM
lol... What does running rich mean? even the 2.3 is rich? lol how do we make it not rich?

Zoom Zoom Boy
02-14-2010, 06:33 PM
lol... What does running rich mean? even the 2.3 is rich? lol how do we make it not rich?

Lots of things can cause a car to run richer than normal. Dirty plugs, bad gas, issues with the MAF and Oxygen sensors, certain engine and exhaust mods etc. al.

All of the MS3's and turbo cars in general, run on the rich end of the equation which is why you will see a lot of black soot on the exhaust tips or actually being expelled out the exhaust when the driver goes to WOT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio

spd frk
02-16-2010, 11:06 AM
THe ECU is programmed to run rich. The extra fuel cools the motor to protect it when operating a full throttle, high boost situations. Unless you get an aftermarket ECu and tune it to run closer to optimal there is nothig you can really do about it. By way of example whe my car was modded it ran below 10.0 to 1 air fuel on the wideband AF on then dyno. After I installed the Cobb AP and fooled a bit it ran constant 11.9 to 1 AFR

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 05:57 PM
I have update car runs fine with Sunoco 91 as I was preparing to have car scanned at dealer and have been using it for the last 6 Fills no issues like I had with the SHell maybe the Nitrogen enriched gas??? Still have soot issues with it being blown over back of car! Have sent info to dealer and Mazda tech say lots of ppl are complaining about this! I currently sent off a solution to them for approval waiting to hear back! I will attach pics as this is a Supplier issue that makes the exhaust and a big oversight has happend!!! If you take a look at your taipipe on your knees you will notice a drain hole on bottom of chrome finisher! stick your finger in the hole on the Speed3 or Enlongated hole on the regular 3 gt's. The hole is blocked by the tailpipe which goes to the end of the chrome finisher even though tip is not tacked on but full circular weld onto tailpipe!! This renders the drian hole none functioning for moisture in the system to drain prior to being sent out the end into the air at back of car and onto rear tailgate etc... Go to any exhaust shop and they measure and cut excess tailpipe off then weld finishing tip on! I will post pics of Brand new Ford EDGE with finishing tips with much smaller hole and exhaust cut back to before hole so it drians down and does not get blown onto car!!

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 06:07 PM
go to my profile to see pics and you can use dremal to cut out excess or wait for dealer to do it I will see what they do and save my dremal disks for now!!

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
http://http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2368 http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2369
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2370http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2372

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2368

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 07:45 PM
Now everyone make noise at your dealer if your tired of cleaning the back of your car send them the pics. Call Mazda Canada or Mazda U.S.A. This is not normal as they want to make it out to be. Other Ford vehicles that have no drain hole in the tip due to design have a drain hole in the muffler at low point as the chrome end pipe is not welded on but part of muffler!! Cutting a hole in the tailpipe through existing hole on our Mazda's is not solution excess pipe needs to be removed to ensure no more moisture leaves the end of tip! This should have been done by the manufacturer! If everyone complains hard core we can get at least a TSB to fix cars or if Mazda was real concerned would replace muffler and tailpipes on all affected cars at suppliers expense. But we all know that won't happen so cutting excess inner tailpipe would be second cheapest fix to resovle customer complaints as cheapest fix would be to drill hole in excess inner tailpipe which might not totally cure problem!!

Kris"Speed3"CWP
03-16-2010, 08:52 PM
My Bad our tips are tacked on the cheap old fashioned way can't wait for the tac's to break!! Hence there is no drian hole in the tailpipe as the hole in the bottom of chrome tip is really a tac point!! hence why all moisture mixes with the residue in the tail pipe and get spent out onto back of car, there needs to be a way for water to drip down before the tip so it get in the air under car not the air stream at the back which swirls up and around the tail section! You might be able to cut inner tailpipe an inch back to where the tac drain hole ends and possible the water will run onto chrome finisher then back to hole? Maybe? Probally not!

horto
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
FWIW ... I've noticed I get much better gas mileage with Shell V-power 91 than with Sonoco Ultra 94. I thought it strange, but a mechanic friend of mine mentioned that direct-inject engines prefer fuel with no ethanol. Shell 91 has no ethanol in it. Now I actively seek out every Shell in town because I won't put anything else in it!

Note: No AP here, so I'm not flashed with any fuel maps. (yet)

My exhaust is soot black regardless of which fuel I put in it ... hehe

Turok
03-22-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a 2007 MS3 and I use Shell 91 octane and have no problems with acceleration or a lag when hitting the gas in 1st or 2nd. As for soot, the exhaust tip does get soot covered within 1-2 days.. but other than that I don't see any excess soot on my bumper or anywhere on the rear of the car.

Also wiping down the exhaust tip often it a good idea. I did my off and on and now I have some soot marks I can't remove off the rounded edge of the exhaust tip.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
07-17-2010, 03:32 PM
It's not about running to rich! It is about a poorly designed tailpipe which does not take into account moisture dripping down. As a result high volume of air entering from the rear of your chrome finisher and then trying to escape from a smaller gap in-between tip and tailpipe increases the velocity of the air further! Once the water dripping down hits this high velocity air it disperses the water into a spray or splatter which is now lighter and thrown into the air stream behind vehicle! The air flow behind the vehicle is a swirling motion and covers the entire rear of vehicle as car is moving. Hence Black soot filled h2o all over the rear of car from roof line down!!! HA HA HA have fun as Mazda calls this a Design characteristic's of the exhaust and that it is normal for the Disi turbo to leave Soot all over rear of car!!! ROFL,LMAO even though CX-7 with Disi does none of this! HA HA HA Screw U Mazda 3 owners should of bought a CX-7 LOL you want cheap will give you cheap made in japan exhaust HA HA HA no one will notice or mind exhaust residue it's a sign of high power all cars do it, it normal LMAO!!!

P.S I no longer have stock tips on my vehicle and after 200km not a spec of exhaust residue on rear of car not even after washing when you accidentally pointing water stream the wrong way and in tailpipe. will continue monitoring situation and if you would like to know exact fix for 2010 model pm me. Car looks 100% stock chrome rolled lip,angle cut and all!!!

WeatherB
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Just wash the car at least once a month, end of problem.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
07-17-2010, 05:57 PM
thats not a real fix you dumb ass so you can keep doing that if not STFU!!!

starscream
07-17-2010, 06:04 PM
thats not a real fix you dumb ass so you can keep doing that if not STFU!!!

What crawled up your 'tailpipe' LOL. Easy dude...

Kris"Speed3"CWP
07-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Exhaust Residue, Soot from running rich what ever you want to call it has been eliminated from being left on rear painted surfaces of the 2010 Mazda Speed3!! This issue is 100% cured for this model no help from Mazda Canada as exhuast residue is normal to be left on painted surfaces to them, design charecteristic and Soot is normal to be deposited on Speed3 its a feature.

Kinn
12-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I hate to bring up this topic again. But does anyone have a constructive solution to this?

I have CWP 2010 and honestly the whole back end has soot on it after a day or two. In the summer I'm cleaning the car every few days. But really, the thing has soot all over the bumper and hatch after a 5 mins drive right after washing the thing!

I know that this is somewhat normal with a turbo but chances are i wont be washing as often during the winter and I'm concerned that the black frozen soup on the back of the car can cause some pain damage...even with the 3 coats of Collinite 845 IW...and it just looks ugly!

laksman91
12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I hate to bring up this topic again. But does anyone have a constructive solution to this?

I have CWP 2010 and honestly the whole back end has soot on it after a day or two. In the summer I'm cleaning the car every few days. But really, the thing has soot all over the bumper and hatch after a 5 mins drive right after washing the thing!

I know that this is somewhat normal with a turbo but chances are i wont be washing as often during the winter and I'm concerned that the black frozen soup on the back of the car can cause some pain damage...even with the 3 coats of Collinite 845 IW...and it just looks ugly!

Its typical of a turboed car. Just gotta man up and clean it. Or leave it alone lol. Here's mine (notice how the side with the exhaust is much dirtier lol)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs608.ash2/156085_10150330362960408_529565407_15618427_189668 7_n.jpg

Kinn
12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Nuff said.......sigh.....

gotak
12-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Mod it with a long long tailpipe ;). Or a Chimney http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1ofUeRxc9mDpwM:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/Essentialatom/TopGearS-ClassCottage3.jpg&t=1

Mazda3X2
12-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Its typical of a turboed car. Just gotta man up and clean it. Or leave it alone lol. Here's mine (notice how the side with the exhaust is much dirtier lol)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs608.ash2/156085_10150330362960408_529565407_15618427_189668 7_n.jpg

Someone wrote on the back of your car in the dirt, not cool! I would snap!

gotak
12-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Someone wrote on the back of your car in the dirt, not cool! I would snap!

Seems someone think Sexually Transmitted Infections is FTW. Strange world we live in....

Elusivellama
12-18-2010, 08:36 AM

If you click on Kris"cwp speed 3" profile and look for the pictures under 'Exhaust Fix', what I think he had done was to cut the inner exhaust tube further back so that it doesn't block the drain holes in the chrome finisher part, then welded them together so that they're no longer 'sandwiched'/'layered'. I don't know exactly... just seems that way.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Just call up JPG exhaust in Oakville they will fix you up real nice!! It cost me $149 for new welded tips that are like the stock ones except are part of a sealed exhaust system being welded on. Hence no under body airflow to interfere with the spent exhaust gases or moisture mixing with the soot residue! My soot is 98.9% gone. If you allow your car to warm up properly prior to W.O.T you will never see soot on the back of your car.

QEW Mazda uses JPG exhaust for all there exhaust repairs you can ask them about quality and get number or just google it. JPG exhaust are really honest and dedicated, JPG means (just praise God) nicest ppl you will meet.

I was concerned with getting the stock look with my tips angle cut tips turned to flow with the rear valence as the stock ones. I should of got tips to fill up 95% of the opening the would of been hardcore!! But I wanted a problem fixed more than aesthetics but now I know any weld on tips will stop this issues I might just have to get new tips if not replacing exhaust with a lighter higher performance piece!

MajesticBlueNTO
01-29-2011, 06:33 PM
QEW Mazda uses JPG exhaust for all there exhaust repairs you can ask them about quality and get number or just google it. JPG exhaust are really honest and dedicated,JPG means (just praise God) nicest ppl you will meet.

...or, they used to have a paper posted in the shop saying "JPG = Jesus, Philip & George" since Jesus comes first in their lives.

whatever the case, they are indeed good people.

Tokay444
01-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Kris I find your posts extremely hard to read through. But yes, jpg is legit. Custom welding and bending at insanely cheap rates.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Kris I find your posts extremely hard to read through. But yes, jpg is legit. Custom welding and bending at insanely cheap rates.

I will use more spaces just for you buddy as that how I guess people like to digest there info on here!!

Is this good for you tokay444

hope you got this ok??

Tokay444
01-30-2011, 08:06 PM
no, it's not the spaces. it's, for the most part, the complete lack of grammar, and poor spelling that make your posts near incomprehendable. by any chance are you french? you seem to leave out a lot of 's's for the plural of things.

hatthi
01-31-2011, 08:47 AM
I will use more spaces just for you buddy as that how I guess people like to digest there info on here!!

hope you got this ok??

Kris, just slow down and chill out man. We're all on this forum to help eachother and learn best practices. Some members are just having trouble understanding your posts, including myself. They're asking for clarification so that we all understand what point you're trying to make and how you exactly corrected the issue, that's all. You don't need to get your guard up so quickly.

optiklenz13
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM

hope you got this ok??

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf2us18G6n1qaexod.gif

slow your role brah!!!

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-31-2011, 09:46 AM
I believe the last thing people on here are trying to do, is perfect there grammar! I finished post secondary a long time ago, if ppl want to nit pick at grammar beside getting info that they need then by all means.

Here is the full details of JPG which another person fully quoted before the post got steered into another direction!

JPG Exhaust Inc,(www.jpgexhaust.com)
287 Speers Road, Oakville
ONT L6K-2G1
Tel:(905) 339-0317
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:31

This is the Header of their invoice!

The name and part number for my tips are Custom o2 DT-006 s/s tips $130

I would now personally go bigger to try and fill rear exhaust openings, they have tons of tips to choose from.

Tokay444
01-31-2011, 09:56 AM
It's not really about writing a perfect sentence. Not many of us do.
It's about making it readable. When I read your posts, I find myself having to add words to complete your thoughts. And let's be honest, most browsers now have spell checks built right in.
I think the running rich has much more to do with the factory tune than the exhaust tip.

Elusivellama
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
I believe the last thing people on here are trying to do, is perfect there grammar! I finished post secondary a long time ago, if ppl want to nit pick at grammar beside getting info that they need then by all means.

Here is the full details of JPG which another person fully quoted before the post got steered into another direction!

JPG Exhaust Inc,(www.jpgexhaust.com)
287 Speers Road, Oakville
ONT L6K-2G1
Tel:(905) 339-0317
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved, and thy house." Acts 16:31

This is the Header of their invoice!

The name and part number for my tips are Custom o2 DT-006 s/s tips $130

I would now personally go bigger to try and fill rear exhaust openings, they have tons of tips to choose from.

Thanks for this info, I actually plan on doing this at some point. It doesn't cost a lot and reasoning is sound as far as solving the soot problem. I'd probably do this closer to the warmer months as my car is almost perpetually dirty during winter anyway.

Elusivellama
01-31-2011, 10:45 AM
It's not really about writing a perfect sentence. Not many of us do.
It's about making it readable. When I read your posts, I find myself having to add words to complete your thoughts. And let's be honest, most browsers now have spell checks built right in.
I think the running rich has much more to do with the factory tune than the exhaust tip.

Yeah, but what he's saying is that one of the consequences of a rich tune is soot around the exhaust tips. Here's something I copy and pasted from another forum (I forgot which one, but I think it was msf)

it's the soot build up in the tail pipe mixed with water, the bi-product of an efficient A/F mixture. When you pull out in the morning after start up, you're vehicle runs a little richer because it hasn't gone into closed loop yet due to the O2 sensors not reaching 600 degree, this normally takes around 2 minutes or less, but none theless, your engine will produce water out the tail pipe due to condensation and the above mentioned.

Anywho, on to why it's on the hatch, when you pull out the vehicle shifts in weight and the rear section of the vehicle jounces literally pouring the rest of the water out of the tail pipe, (the reason you normally won't get this much water out the tail pipe any other time is due to exhaust tempuratures being between 500-1100 degrees or so depending on how close you are to the engine and how much load the car has been under thus evaporating the H2O instantly.) this water pouring out with the addition of vehicle speed (which judging by the amount of soot and where it is, I'm assuming you pull out pretty quickly and you recently had a night between maybe 40-50 degrees when this happened. Just an assumption) and much like how an airplane flys, the high pressure of air created under the vehicle with the low pressure above forces the water from the tail pipe which has freshly mixed with soot creating your black "nastyness", all over your hatch.

how to fix this, get an after market exhaust that sticks out just a smidgen further or b, get an exhaust shield that mounts to the bumper. c, clean your exhaust tip everyday.

hope this helps and explains what this "stuff" is. It's completely normal and thanks to bad positioning of the exhaust tip by Mazda, this happens. If this were a leaking turbo you would have blueish tinted smoke pouring out of your exhaust when you "boost."

Seems to make sense to me.

Kris"Speed3"CWP
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
It's not about the car running rich, it's more about the residue left in the tail pipe and the natural occurrence of H2o a by product of combustion mixing with this residue.

Hence the speckled soot design on the back of the car people complain about.

With the underbody air flowing through the chrome finisher, it breaks apart the water trying to drip down.
This then make it easier to be carried upward in the airstream behind the car! A welded tailpipe prevents the underbody airflow from interfering with the moisture dripping down!