PDA

View Full Version : Installing alarm/starter yourself?

Brandon
06-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Anyone ever done it? Are there any walkthroughs online for a 2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT? It's going to be a Compustar Pro...

Caz
06-01-2007, 03:05 PM
If you are a noob to installing stuff like this, leave it to the pro's

Jeff-TheBiz
06-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Anyone ever done it? Are there any walkthroughs online for a 2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT? It's going to be a Compustar Pro...

I have the same one, but really, I wouldn't tackle this..

Vlad is kinda the resident electrical guy, and even his was put in at Lockdown.

EvilEric
06-01-2007, 03:35 PM
I have the same one, but really, I wouldn't tackle this..

Vlad is kinda the resident electrical guy, and even his was put in at Lockdown.

There have been alot of people who have done installs at lockdown, you can PM them for their opinon (including me)

You can also talk to McGuvyer_3.

MattC
06-01-2007, 04:41 PM
It seems like lockdown are the pros so +1 for them

i was there a bunch of times in the last month and every time there was atleast 1 person getting a compustar installed.

McGuyver_3
06-02-2007, 11:07 PM
i compliment their workmanship on getting my alarm working but i was not so happy to have them tell me they were unable to get my starter working to an extent. Reason being the viper systems you need a bypass safety module which i got but they were having issues with getting the car to shut off. they attempted many times to get it working but were unsuccesful. The dissapointment was that they charged me full price for instal although unsuccessful and when i was asking about how much to install the compustar i was quoted the same price for instal.
Sorry thats my opinion notsaying any names

as for the instal by yourself it is difficult. For me it as easy because alot of the wiring was already prewired. For the remote start take it to a shop. My reason being especially on a mannual transmission way to much iability. Take the chance something is not wired right and you hit someone or something not worth the hassle. At least if something happens (god forbid) its the installers problem not yours

selective sound
07-03-2007, 01:37 PM
i compliment their workmanship on getting my alarm working but i was not so happy to have them tell me they were unable to get my starter working to an extent. Reason being the viper systems you need a bypass safety module which i got but they were having issues with getting the car to shut off. they attempted many times to get it working but were unsuccesful. The dissapointment was that they charged me full price for instal although unsuccessful and when i was asking about how much to install the compustar i was quoted the same price for instal.
Sorry thats my opinion notsaying any names

as for the instal by yourself it is difficult. For me it as easy because alot of the wiring was already prewired. For the remote start take it to a shop. My reason being especially on a mannual transmission way to much iability. Take the chance something is not wired right and you hit someone or something not worth the hassle. At least if something happens (god forbid) its the installers problem not yoursIf you would like, bring your car by and I'm sure we could get the viper module to work properly in your car.

McGuyver_3
07-03-2007, 05:40 PM
If you would like, bring your car by and I'm sure we could get the viper module to work properly in your car.

dont mean to sound rude but i have no need for the viper because i already have the compustar installed in my car and it is all working knock on wood no problems. But thanks for the offer

selective sound
07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
I didn't take it that way. No problem anytime.

LOCKDOWN-P5
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Hello MacGuyver

I am sorry to hear that you were a little disappointed with the charges regarding your installation. The issue, as you were aware is the type of doorpin circuit the Mazda3 uses and the electrical characteristics of the way it operates. The 689M five speed module from DEI is a pretty simple unit, but unfortunately does not take into account new vehicles such as your Mazda3.

I do not wish any of our customers to be disappointed by our services in any way, but what needs to be understood is that we worked hard and long to install that product in the vehicle, it just technically did not work properly due to it's design, a problem that we could not come across until the full installation had been completed.

In terms of the re-installation of a CompuSTAR, we were fully willing to offer a discounted price on the work, but had to factor in the amount of work involved to remove the previous system wiring and re-install from scratch the CompuSTAR system.

The other large factor not mentioned in this case is that MacGuyver brought all the equipment to us for installation, we did not sell any of it to him. We were only providing installation in this case. That plays a role as we NEVER would suggest using a VIPER remote starter on a manual Mazda3, specifically for the above reasons. We would have and always do only suggest CompuSTAR or 5 speed specific brand of remote start on vehicles such as the Mazda3 due to the doorpin system on the vehicle.

MacGuyver, I want to keep your business, and I think we always been fair to eachother. Let me know if there is anything we can do to further take away any disappointed feelings of us you may have.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.

Fish
07-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I had a bad experience with my remote starter, but that's because I didn't listen to Jeff at Lockdown :p

I bought a 'Bulldog' starter that was on sale at Sam's Club and took it to Lockdown for installation. Jeff was great about the whole thing, but he didn't recommend it in my car as he didn't know the brand or how it worked. However I insisted and he went ahead. There was one dumb little problem (with a switch) that he spent a lot of time working on as well. Everything worked for a while, but the remote died on me after a few months. The company went out of business and I was stuck with a starter, but no remote.

Luckily all that happened on my old car. Lesson here: Listen to Jeff's recommendations. The service was great and I appreciate the extra time taken to help me along.

LOCKDOWN-P5
07-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback Fish, much appreciated. We try to be as upfront as possible with our customers when it comes to installing products purchased elsewhere, with regards to our own personal feedback on the specific product brought to us.

If we have seen or experienced an issue, we will inform our customers about our experience and allow them to make an informed descision to go ahead or install something different.

We are 110% open to installing things purchased elsewhere, thats a HUGE part of our business, but with that comes the need sometimes to advise against installing something we feel may be more of problem for a customer than a convenience.

Regards

Jeff Bates
LOCKDOWN Enterprises Inc.