PDA

View Full Version : "Hot spot" on front brake

sp3GT
06-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I was getting my exhaust installed today and the mechanic told me that my passenger front brake had a "hot spot" on it. It kinda looks like 2 crack lines but it's not really cracked. He said it should be under warranty.
Any ideas?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/rotor-web.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/sp3GT/rotor1-web.jpg

Flagrum_3
06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Well there is always the possibility the rotor was defective originally and aslong as you still have warranty, I can't see there being a problem.Just take it to the dealer, there's nothing to lose!

_3

sp3GT
06-03-2007, 12:21 AM
I'll take a picture 2molo if I can, I'm just afraid they'll blame it on my mods or something.

chinsterr
06-03-2007, 12:52 AM
I'll take a picture 2molo if I can, I'm just afraid they'll blame it on my mods or something.

well if you haven't touched the brakes then i cant foresee any problems ...

sp3GT
06-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Updated first post with pics

MajesticBlueNTO
06-09-2007, 04:19 PM
looks like you braked hard (from a good speed) and left your foot on the brake pedal.

if that's the case, that isn't warranty.

doughboyr6
06-09-2007, 04:43 PM
i think brakes are only covered for the first 30 or 33 k no?

garboui
06-09-2007, 07:03 PM
looks like a warped disc. do you feel any shudder when braking at high speeds? this happens as what majestic said, the rotors get very hot after hard breaking and not letting the car at least roll slowly allows the caliper to act as a heat sink causing the hot rotor to cool unevenly. the uneven rates of cooling cause the disc to warp. the spot in between the two lines is most likley a high spot and the lines are just dirt/dust that the pads dont contact.

sp3GT
06-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I rarely do any hard braking, when I exit from the highway I downshift cause I love the sound so much. I never do excessive braking, so I don't know how that happended.
So it's not a factory defect?

Flagrum_3
06-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I rarely do any hard braking, when I exit from the highway I downshift cause I love the sound so much. I never do excessive braking, so I don't know how that happended.
So it's not a factory defect?

That definitely is a hot spot! and mang thats pretty bad :whoa. I've never seen a crack like that on rotors, except for when they had been machined to their minimum tolerance.
The question is are you still under warranty? What's the mileage on your 3? .....Brakes are warrantied I believe for 1 year, 20k, unless it is clearly evident that the part was defective from the factory.If you have never overheated the brakes thru negligence, than I would think those rotors are defective,... only thing we know for sure is that,'that rotor is toast'.

_3

garboui
06-10-2007, 12:37 PM
it would shure take some real good negligence to do that. the mazda rotors in my experience have been alot better than oem honda ones. ive done a couple 160-170 down to almost a stop going well into some fade a few times and havent warped them yet. the hondas would have been toast after a couple of these stops. the key though is to not stay stopped after a hard brake; always lett the car roll foward for a bit even if at a light.

sp3GT
06-10-2007, 12:44 PM
I just passed 1 yr, I'm at about 21k, damnit. Cause if you look at my milelage I don't even drive my car that much. I haven't even tracked it. So I don't know how I could do that.

little_wheelz
06-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Airport Mazda replaced my disks under warrenty at ~1.5 yrs and 38K. The fronts were warped. I think that they are covered until 40K but call the dealer. That being said, I agree that it looks like a hot spot and they might not cover it, but worth a shot!

sp3GT
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
The funny thing is I got my car serviced not too long (1 yr 20k,) ago and they didn't say anything about the brakes. And they told me they checked everything and everythin'gs good. I specifically asked about brakes too.

Flagrum_3
06-11-2007, 03:45 AM
The funny thing is I got my car serviced not too long (1 yr 20k,) ago and they didn't say anything about the brakes. And they told me they checked everything and everythin'gs good. I specifically asked about brakes too.

Just take it back to where you got it serviced last, your not far off the "Wear parts" warranty, so they should replace the rotors under their defect warranty, unless their a bunch of asshats.

_3

sp3GT
06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Took it to Agincourt today cause I was in the area, brakes are only covered for 1 yr or 20k. So it's not under warranty anymore and they said I"m fine with it like that, so screw it.

Flagrum_3
06-15-2007, 05:18 AM
Took it to Agincourt today cause I was in the area, brakes are only covered for 1 yr or 20k. So it's not under warranty anymore and they said I"m fine with it like that, so screw it.

Those rotors are not okay, You should take it to another dealer for a second opinion, or a third...But I suggest you don't leave it like that!! ....its not safe.
Agincourt should have never let you drive off like that, in my opinion.

_3

KenYork
06-19-2007, 05:53 PM

You should get it in writing if they said it was ok. It then privides them with the liability of releasing you in an unsafe vehicle if something happens because of it.

sp3GT
06-19-2007, 06:17 PM
I guess it's too late now and it's not under warranty anyways. I don't want to fork up $$ to replace it.

KenYork
06-19-2007, 06:52 PM
It's not about the $$. It's about safety. With the new exhaust and other power mods, a breaking failure can be disasterous.

sp3GT
06-19-2007, 06:54 PM
What should I do then? Is that really that big of a problem? I don't notice a big difference in braking but too be honest it doesn't brake as well as it use too.

m_a_t_r_i_x
06-19-2007, 07:10 PM
^ you answered your own question..... Trust me you will spend more if something bad happens, bite the bullet have it fixed dude!

KenYork
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm no pro, but being safe doesn't hurt.

skunk2
06-21-2007, 03:17 PM
you spend money on mods but can't on maintenance?

3GFX
06-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Its odd to call that a "hot-spot" since there is no real 'blueing' (from heat) on the surface. Take it somewhere for a second opinion. Clean it (while its cold) with just a rag and check for cracks, run your nail over it. If you can feel a crack you have to replace it asap.

sp3GT
06-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I know for sure it's a crack, I've already checked that. Just don't have the funds right now for the car after putting in that new windshield.