PDA

View Full Version : Vent looking piece next to steering wheel

WLS ZMZM
06-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Okay folks... maybe someone can answer my question about this... I will post some pix when I have a chance... anyone have any idea what the piece near the steering is there for.... on the right hand side of the steering wheel just under the gauges there is a piece that has about 4-5 slits in it.....at first i figured it was part of a vent or a type of vent but nothing comes out of it... is this just more mazda flare and stlye???

:loco:loco

Seliina
06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
I read my whole manual...if I recall correctly, there is a sensor that reads the interior temperature (for those that have automatic climate control - I don't but I still have that vent).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

McGuyver_3
06-13-2007, 07:40 PM
you have me confused as to what it is you are trying to explain a picture ould greatly help. thanks

Jeff-TheBiz
06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
I read my whole manual...if I recall correctly, there is a sensor that reads the interior temperature (for those that have automatic climate control - I don't but I still have that vent).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

That is exactly what it is... essentially it is the thermostat.

MattC
06-14-2007, 10:26 AM
so thats why when you get in your car, and you are really hot from being in the sun, the car keeps blowing the AC super cold even after the whole car is cool.

I find i gotta turn it up to like 26-27 to make it stop blowing AC or ill freeze! :)

Skarbro
06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I always thought that it was a transponder sensor for the key remote? I.e., it reads the remote to prevent theft?

I could be talking out of my ass.

WLS ZMZM
06-14-2007, 12:46 PM
thats what I thought it was too Skarbro..... I figured it was some kind of sensor... never really thought about it for the auto climate control.... makes sense on the newer ones... but why would it be there on the older ones?? or did they have the fancy climate control too...as a trim option??

Jeff-TheBiz
06-14-2007, 01:34 PM
I always thought that it was a transponder sensor for the key remote? I.e., it reads the remote to prevent theft?

I could be talking out of my ass.

Actually the transponder sensor is located in the steering column. IIRC.

It is a thermostat.. reads the interior temp.

thats what I thought it was too Skarbro..... I figured it was some kind of sensor... never really thought about it for the auto climate control.... makes sense on the newer ones... but why would it be there on the older ones?? or did they have the fancy climate control too...as a trim option??

The european models came with auto climate control from day one.. so they just shared the same panel.. when auto climate came to Canada, they put a sensor behind it.

Skarbro
07-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Well Jeff, good thing I didn't bet you any money on this one... :)

Temperature Sensor Location (#10)
(http://www.icestormdesign.com/mwcc/mazda/manual/esicont/en/srvc/html/B3E074001042W01.html)

cereal83
07-01-2007, 11:16 AM
It's all in the 1000 page manual people!