PDA

View Full Version : Extending the Comprensive Warranty on MS3?

kid_icarus
06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey guys,

I posted about this on the "official mazdaspeed 3" thread, but figured this would be a better place to "ask" along with the title of the post.

I wanted to get an idea of what you guys think. As some of you may already know, I'll be picking up a MS3 from the Biz in about 2 weeks time.

I still have a chance to upgrade the warranty.

I want to know what you guys think and please be honest.

Did any of you MS3 owners increase the comprensive warranty to 4 or 5 or even more years?

If so what made you increase the warranty?

If you didn't increase the warranty, what are your reasons for not doing so?

I want to ensure that I am making a wise decision when I finalize options.

I probably will be driving the car less than 10K a year because I take the train to work.

The current comprehensive warranty on the vehicle will last me till Sept 2010 and and the car has about 12000KM on it right now. (demo)

Let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!

S.F.W.
06-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Though not directly relate dto the Speed 3, i can explain my logic regarding MAP generally. I purchased MAP for an additional year when I purchased my car. My primary thinking was, I was planning to finance the car for 4 years, and keep it at least that long. I did not want to risk the cost of a major engine repair or other similar expense while still making payments on the car.

ovillems3
06-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Though not directly relate dto the Speed 3, i can explain my logic regarding MAP generally. I purchased MAP for an additional year when I purchased my car. My primary thinking was, I was planning to finance the car for 4 years, and keep it at least that long. I did not want to risk the cost of a major engine repair or other similar expense while still making payments on the car.

another good reason is with the MAP, mazda will give you a loaner car.

i didnt get it and still got a loaner but with a little hassle.

someone correct me if im wrong but you can get the MAP later on if you want.

Jeff-TheBiz
06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
someone correct me if im wrong but you can get the MAP later on if you want.

All the info here... (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13181)

You have a yr or 20,000 km to decide without paying a surcharge, but the price is subject to change without notice. After the year/20k expect to pay a surcharge based on your mileage + applicable price increase & the 4yr is no longer available to you, only the 5, 6 or 7.

Pricing for the MazdaSpeed3 is now on the above thread.

kid_icarus
06-21-2007, 09:06 PM
All the info here... (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13181)

You have a yr or 20,000 km to decide without paying a surcharge, but the price is subject to change without notice. After the year/20k expect to pay a surcharge based on your mileage + applicable price increase & the 4yr is no longer available to you, only the 5, 6 or 7.

Jeff, I sent you some emails today while you were off regarding those prices.
Maybe I heard you wrong last night, on the phone. I'll try and give you a ring tomorrow to clarify.

DingBat
06-21-2007, 11:28 PM
As I said over on the other thread, I took the 6yr/160,000km warranty on my MS3. I like to keep my cars for a long time and my yearly mileage is such that I'm sure I'll be covered for the full 6 years.

Garu
06-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I think MAP should be seriously considered for MS3 as I've recently found out that turbo is not covered under Power train warranty. Which I think is quite BS. Apparently US is covered under warranty but not Canada.

I'll probably get 6yr MAP towards the end of the year.

kid_icarus
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah I couldn't believe it either. It really threw a wrench in my thoughts because you'd think it's part of the engine especially when it is sold as a Mazdaspeed.

But yeah.. i really need to think about the additional cost of getting that warranty.

yellow 3
07-18-2007, 05:00 AM
if ur gonna mod ur car i don't see the point in extended warranty
extended warranty or not if you mod it they will still void ur warranty no matter what
id say get it if that was a regular MZ3
but you got a speed and most the ppl that have that car and can afford that car they mod it
plus most ppl don't keep cars more the 4 years

Unoriginalusername
07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
^^ Yellow had a good point. I did not take the extended warranty for a few reasons. (1) I plan to mod the car, in which case paying to extend a warranty that could be at risk from a motor mount (lol mazdaspeed :chuckle) doesn't make sense.

(2) I manage a business, warranties make companies lots of money as do the partners/resellers that sell those warranties with other backend margin dollars.

(3) I have a 99 saturn and an 89 Oldsmobile... they both have cost very little to maintain. You'd be better off putting that few extra grand into your mortage or an investment and by the time you're actually out of warranty that money would have appreciated enough to cover the expense.

To completely contradicy myself now, i had 18km... buying a demo at a discount it may make more sense in that situation to use the savings to get the warranty as you don't know what happened in those first few thousand km's

kid_icarus
07-18-2007, 09:28 AM
To completely contradicy myself now, i had 18km... buying a demo at a discount it may make more sense in that situation to use the savings to get the warranty as you don't know what happened in those first few thousand km's

Thank you for the relieving comment you added at the end.
Since this car was picked up 2 weeks ago... I was feeling negative energy there lol.

But yes I did extend my warranty to 2011.
Basically my overall logic is that I want the car to be well and alive when I am done financing it.

I do not plan to add any serious performance modifications to the vehicle other than maybe suspension and handling, which i believe is not enough proof to void my warranty.
My CAI will be from the dealership, so In that regards I am covered.

Either way the choice was made easy by the Biz who was very helpful and accomodating.

Thanks for the input though guys.

Unoriginalusername
07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Thank you for the relieving comment you added at the end.
Since this car was picked up 2 weeks ago... I was feeling negative energy there lol.

But yes I did extend my warranty to 2011.
Basically my overall logic is that I want the car to be well and alive when I am done financing it.

I do not plan to add any serious performance modifications to the vehicle other than maybe suspension and handling, which i believe is not enough proof to void my warranty.
My CAI will be from the dealership, so In that regards I am covered.

Either way the choice was made easy by the Biz who was very helpful and accomodating.

Thanks for the input though guys.

Lol :blush <<< wasn't looking at the dates. Well in that case congrats on picking up the car and without serious mod plans you're right it is a good idea. The injectors i imagine are pricey, the warranty could pay for itself if you ever need those to be replaced

yellowmp5
07-18-2007, 12:01 PM
--comment withdrawn--

IMO, i think it's not worth spendin' extra money for extended warranty.

kid_icarus
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
definitely for a lease, its' a totally different situation.

my main concern was the car having issues after my finance was complete. i wanted to make sure that once the car was paid for i'd be in tip top resale condition without me incurring any costs.

i also have rust protection.... hopefully that would cover some window area rusting.... (probably not though, not sure)

Jeff-TheBiz
07-18-2007, 02:11 PM
as a matter of fact, after readin'
the TOP forum, there were many parts that was not covered even
w/ extended warranty.....

Gotta a link for this info.. Like to see what is 'not' covered.

IMO, i think it's not worth gettin' if you
decide to sell your car w/in 3

I agree!

4 years....

I totally disagree. The new owner cannot purchase Comprehensive Warranty at this point if the want to. At least if the 4yr is in place the new owner has the chance to extend it even further.

one more thing...(touch wood) if i totaled my ride now.... less than 3 years...
i totally lost my money on my purchase of extended warranty

If there has been no claim, you get most of it back (pro-rated) and/or it may even be covered under your insurance.

yellowmp5
07-18-2007, 03:20 PM
--comment withdrawn--

Jeff-TheBiz
07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
http://www.toprotege.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28834&highlight=extended+warranty
http://www.toprotege.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24150&highlight=extended+warranty
http://www.toprotege.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23548&highlight=extended+warranty
http://www.toprotege.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19267&highlight=extended+warranty

Read each thread, the first one says something about the clutch which is a wearable part.. not something that is warrantied, much like brake pads. But it also talks about how the dealership had no idea what they were doing.

The second actually goes on to say that Extended Warranty is a good idea.

The third and fourth are discussion on rust and warranty/extended warranty and both contain your post on how DWM wouldn't fix your rusted window trim.

The Anti-Preforation Warranty on all Mazdas is 5yr and unlimited km. but it kicks in only when a hole develops and when it occurs from the inside out. Pretty much the same as every other make and model. Rust has nothing at all to do with Extended Warranty.

yellowmp5
07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Read each thread, the first one says something about the clutch which is a wearable part.. not something that is warrantied, much like brake pads. But it also talks about how the dealership had no idea what they were doing.

The second actually goes on to say that Extended Warranty is a good idea.

The third and fourth are discussion on rust and warranty/extended warranty and both contain your post on how DWM wouldn't fix your rusted window trim.

The Anti-Preforation Warranty on all Mazdas is 5yr and unlimited km. but it kicks in only when a hole develops and when it occurs from the inside out. Pretty much the same as every other make and model. Rust has nothing at all to do with Extended Warranty.

My apology,

i've withdrawn all my previous arguments and comments...

best regards...

Jeff-TheBiz
07-18-2007, 11:33 PM
My apology,

i've withdrawn all my previous arguments and comments...

best regards...

That wasn't necessary, these forums are here for exactly that reason.

I kinda wish I could have helped with the rust issue at DWM. I have had some instances fixed under warranty for my clients.

-RJ3-
03-09-2008, 08:20 AM
IMO Extending the MAP warrantyl is a must have, especially if your car is 96K and over.
Its quite a bit of coin, but if you think about it major services pays for itself.

Example... without warranty for my 96K it would have cost me close to 1000 bucks.

Water pump, engine mount, and solenoid for intake, 700.00 not covered under waranty, plus my 266.00 96K service.

Once they saw I had an extended warranty, they used it and all I had to pay was for service

Best and beneficial purchase for mazda yet!!

Unoriginalusername
03-09-2008, 08:43 AM
IMO Extending the MAP warrantyl is a must have, especially if your car is 96K and over.
Its quite a bit of coin, but if you think about it major services pays for itself.

Example... without warranty for my 96K it would have cost me close to 1000 bucks.

Water pump, engine mount, and solenoid for intake, 700.00 not covered under waranty, plus my 266.00 96K service.

Once they saw I had an extended warranty, they used it and all I had to pay was for service

Best and beneficial purchase for mazda yet!!

It took you from July 18th to think that one up? :chuckle

RX9
03-09-2008, 11:26 AM
if i will buy the MAP, i will go for the longest one (7yr/160K?) or dont buy it. i still have 11 monthes to think about it. :)

Garu
03-09-2008, 12:03 PM
You need to buy the MAP within a year of the purchase?

RX9
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM

not really, but there is charge for more than 20k and its per 1k km.

During the first 12 months or 20,000km (whichever come first) of vehicle service, you may choose to purchase any of the Comprehensive plans listed above for whatever the price is at the time of purchase.

As of today the prices listed above are accurate but subject to change without notice

After the 12 months, or 20,000km and before 36 months or 80,000km things change..

1) The NC4810 is no longer available
2) To the above listed price a Late Registration Fee is charged based on mileage. Add $5.00 per 1000km on the odometer at time of purchase.

After the 36 months or 80,000km you have no option to purchase Comprehensive Warranty.

-RJ3-
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
It took you from July 18th to think that one up? :chuckle

HEhehe yes..

wingnut12
03-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Regardless of what industry it is, extended warranties are soley designed to increase profit margins. There are several studies to indicate that most people never use the extended warranty, either because the original warranty covers it, or because the product is designed to last much longer than the purchased warranty to begin with.

I studied the viability of EWPs in college, and also sold them for a few different industries. Logically, it makes sense. No one is ever going to attempt to sell you something that loses their company money.

Since it's basically an insurance policy against possible financial harm, how much is your peace of mind worth?

Noisy Crow
03-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Since it's basically an insurance policy against possible financial harm, how much is your peace of mind worth?

It's not just peace of mind. It's also risk management: guranteed cost vs. potential cost. Not only for myself, but for future owners of my car. That helps me plan my finances, and adds resale value to the car.

Jeff-TheBiz
03-10-2008, 12:18 AM
if i will buy the MAP, i will go for the longest one (7yr/160K?) or dont buy it. i still have 11 monthes to think about it. :)

not really, but there is charge for more than 20k and its per 1k km.

Don't forget that if the Warranty goes up (typically every 6 months) you will end up paying the difference as well.

Garu
03-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't forget that if the Warranty goes up (typically every 6 months) you will end up paying the difference as well.

Hey Jeff,

What's the running price of 7 years now?

Jeff-TheBiz
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Jeff,

What's the running price of 7 years now?

All current pricing is here. (http://www.torontomazda3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13181)

RX9
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
is anyone else interested GB on M.A.P.? :chuckle

Garu
03-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey Jeff!
Any plans for promo again?

ghostdog
03-10-2008, 11:10 AM
It's not just peace of mind. It's also risk management: guranteed cost vs. potential cost. Not only for myself, but for future owners of my car. That helps me plan my finances, and adds resale value to the car.

word for word, you sound like a car sales person ... lol! are you in training or are you already affiliated with a dealer? :chuckle

Noisy Crow
03-10-2008, 11:30 AM
word for word, you sound like a car sales person ... lol! are you in training or are you already affiliated with a dealer? :chuckle

Close! I'm a Systems Analyst... one huge part of what I do is look for places where things might go wrong and come up with mitigation/avoidance strategies.

Besides, I went with the extended warranty, so of course I'm going to say good things about getting it! :)

I intend to keep my car for quite a while, and the reality is that things tend to break either right away or after a good number of years. I'm (sort of) counting on enough things breaking to make the cost of the MAP worthwhile. And if I do sell the car, I should be able to get most of it back....