PDA

View Full Version : another window tinting question...

starwind
06-27-2007, 09:07 PM
My new car will have window tinting.

What I am wondering is if anyone know if it is possible/how to find out what "level" (%) of tinting existing window tinting on a car is ?

The current car -- soon to be replaced -- is a 2001 Saturn SL2, bought in Texas. It was factory/dealer tinted (as in, it was already tinted when purchased new) front/rear sides & the back. It appears (to my eyes) to be the same tint level all around.

Although at times the tint lets in too much light, for the most part it is great, and whatever level it is at, it is the level I want the new car to have.

Any suggestions on how to determine the tint level ?

Thanks!

Skarbro
06-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Take it to a tint shop. I'm sure they can figure it out.

EvilDeadFan
06-28-2007, 03:26 AM
having a light meter would be handy, but by just glancing at it tinters, or people who have had multiple cars tinted like myself should be able to enlighten you.

MattC
06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
if you look at it, or get someone in the club to look at it who has seen alot of other tints they prolly can give you a good estimate.

If it lets in a good amount of light, its gotta be 35% or over, because 20% or lower lets in very little light.

fastNugly
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
if you look at it, or get someone in the club to look at it who has seen alot of other tints they prolly can give you a good estimate.

If it lets in a good amount of light, its gotta be 35% or over, because 20% or lower lets in very little light.

+1

zedtech
08-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Factory smoked windows are usually equivalent to 20-23% tint.

MajesticBlueNTO
08-07-2007, 12:11 PM

only for vans and SUVs and on the back windows only (aft of the front door windows).

factory glass for cars are around 97-98% VLT.

fastNugly
08-07-2007, 02:51 PM

This is true for Vans and SUV and agree with the above member

starwind
08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Following up to my original post (A bit late... apologies)...

I went to a local tint shop, and they took a look at the (then current) car and said it was between 32 and 38%, probably about 35%. They showed me a comparable sample, and it looked pretty much the same to my totally untrained eye.

For the new Mazda3, I went with 35% all around, and am quite pleased with it -- though with the black interior it actually looks darker then I thought it would be from the outside.

Crossing the US border recently, for the first time I actually had the US Customs person ask me to roll down the back window "because the tint is dark". No big deal, of course. Just different than normal.

Thanks for all of your advice and suggestions!!!

MattC
08-08-2007, 11:11 AM
damn, if i have to roll down the back window... I can't smuggle any more immigrants in :(

ICEBOX
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
damn, if i have to roll down the back window... I can't smuggle any more immigrants in :(

LOL. I guess you gotta put the lock button down so no one can roll down the windows then.

But yeah, best bet is to take it to a tint shop.