PDA

View Full Version : MS3 No. 4 (transmission) engine mount RECALL!!!

boogie
07-02-2007, 07:54 PM
As posted on M3F and m247:

Dear Mazda Dealer,

We regret to inform you that retail delivery of certain 2007 MAZDASPEED3 models in your inventory must immediately be suspended. Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct a voluntary Safety Recall (# 4607F) to replace the No. 4 engine mount bolt on certain 2007 MAZDASPEED3 vehicles produced from June 28, 2006 through May 19, 2007.

On certain MAZDASPEED3 vehicles, the No. 4 engine mount tightening bolt may loosen if a sudden/rapid acceleration is repeatedly performed. If the vehicle is continuously driven under such condition, the No. 4 engine mount bolt may loosen and fall out or break, allowing the transmission to be out of position. In extreme cases, the driveshaft may become detached. If this occurs the vehicle will immediately lose power, come to a stop and be inoperable.

Action Required:
Beginning today, July 2, 2007, certain 2007 MAZDASPEED3 vehicles produced from June 28, 2006 through May 19, 2007 in your inventory must be inspected and repaired prior to customer delivery. Delivering subject vehicles without performing the necessary inspection and/or repair is prohibited. Failure to perform applicable recalls before delivery can result in extensive dealer fines and penalties from the Federal Government

Subject Vehicles:
Model VIN Range Build Date Range
2007 MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK34**71 603266-768653 June 28, 2006 thru
May 19, 2007
*The asterisk symbol can be any letter or number

Please note that some vehicles within this VIN range have been repaired at the ports before being shipped to your dealership. Please refer to eMDCS Warranty Vehicle Inquiry to determine if a vehicle is subject to this recall.

Parts will start arriving at dealers with affected units in inventory on July 3, 2007. Repair procedures will be available on MS3 and the eMDCS on July 3 as well.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for this to effect us up north!

boogie
07-02-2007, 07:59 PM
oops. This should've been posted in the ms3 section. Mods pls move...thanx.

yellow 3
07-02-2007, 08:00 PM
this is a US recall only

boogie
07-02-2007, 08:04 PM
this is a US recall only

yes, but it should only be a matter of time before this reaches Canada. The recall in Japan was a few weeks ago.

kid_icarus
07-02-2007, 09:11 PM
darn it! i'm picking up my MS3 this friday..... i wonder if this can be fixed before pickup...

EvilDeadFan
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Right.. because ms3's in the us use completely different bolts... because that makes sense.. ;)

boogie
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM
darn it! i'm picking up my MS3 this friday..... i wonder if this can be fixed before pickup...

If the recall can reach here before Friday, then they will be required to fix it before delivering your car. It all depends how long it takes for the recall to take affect here.

kid_icarus
07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
If the recall can reach here before Friday, then they will be required to fix it before delivering your car. It all depends how long it takes for the recall to take affect here.

yeah.... i bet myself anything that the recall will hit the monday after i pickup the vehicle... in which case I hope nothing happens between the time the car is picked up and whenever the TSB is issued.... it's retarded though that recalls are not done globally as opposed to country by country

EvilDeadFan
07-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I agree that this is retarded, but at least you will only be properly breaking in the car according to the mazda manual.. ;) When it's all ready and broken in, and you're ready to floor it, the car will most likely have that weak point replaced!

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 10:13 AM
yeah.... i bet myself anything that the recall will hit the monday after i pickup the vehicle... in which case I hope nothing happens between the time the car is picked up and whenever the TSB is issued.... it's retarded though that recalls are not done globally as opposed to country by country

Come on, do you really think I would let that happen?

If I can get it done before you pick up.. it will be done.

kid_icarus
07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Come on, do you really think I would let that happen?

If I can get it done before you pick up.. it will be done.

lol i know YOU would never let that happen. :blush

But i'm worried mazda canada won't issue the recall until next week lol. :bang

I can honestly say I would put my life in your hands JEff =)

boogie
07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Recall is in effect in Canada.

Just had my dealer contact me to let me know I should be receiving the notice in the mail. You're good to go kid_icarus. Hopefully this won't delay delivery of your car.

Garu
07-03-2007, 05:00 PM
Woah... I gotta get mine fixed.
Where did you see this recall is in effect?

boogie
07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Woah... I gotta get mine fixed.
Where did you see this recall is in effect?

My dealer called to let me know they received the above letter today. The US dealerships received it yesterday. We should be receiving something in the mail shortly.

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 05:36 PM
The letter that dealers recieved...

Regards,
MAZDA CANADA INC.

So... in a nutshell... lets hope the parts get here before friday for kid_icarus.

For those of you who are already driving Mazdaspeed3s... becareful while you wait for the parts.

EDIT: At the request of Mazda Canada. The original email I had posted has been removed.

Wild Weasel
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
heh. Careful eh?

I think if my engine were gonna fall out... it'd have done so by now. :chuckle

I'll bring it in though. :bana

kid_icarus
07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
The letter that dealers recieved...

So... in a nutshell... lets hope the parts get here before friday for kid_icarus.

For those of you who are already driving Mazdaspeed3s... becareful while you wait for the parts.

DANG IT! i took friday off too!

Thanks boogie for getting this topic going up and biz for posting the recall.

Biz - how soon do the parts arrive? I'm assuming that the service department is already on the case?

Please let me know, when you know, if we'll be good for friday. Otherwise I will have to cancel my holiday day =).

Glad the recall finally came out though.

Unoriginalusername
07-03-2007, 06:56 PM
thanks for the info... what do the new parts do?

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 07:03 PM
DANG IT! i took friday off too!

Thanks boogie for getting this topic going up and biz for posting the recall.

Biz - how soon do the parts arrive? I'm assuming that the service department is already on the case?

Please let me know, when you know, if we'll be good for friday. Otherwise I will have to cancel my holiday day =).

Glad the recall finally came out though.

Should know tomorrow...

WhiteSpeed3
07-03-2007, 07:17 PM
thanx for the up date

the funny thing is i went to my dealer today and they didnt say anything about it

Jeff-TheBiz
07-03-2007, 07:55 PM
thanx for the up date

the funny thing is i went to my dealer today and they didnt say anything about it

That is because your dealer is not me. :bana

kid_icarus
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM

lol.

Alright jeff, because you are the mazda emporer, I know you're telling me that all will be perfect and good for Friday =)

So are we just waiting on the parts???

WhiteSpeed3
07-04-2007, 12:26 AM

true but u are a bit far for me just to pop in

boogie
07-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Should know tomorrow...

Any news Jeff?

kid_icarus
07-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I believe the parts are on the way in.... i don't think they arrived yesterday as the recall stated (considering it was the first day of the work week i bet that's when they were shipped if anything).

hopefully they receive some parts tomorrow and can start working on ppl's vehicles (especially mine :hawt) soon.

Unoriginalusername
07-05-2007, 01:40 PM
hope to get mine checked out soon

Jeff-TheBiz
07-05-2007, 03:18 PM
As soon as the recall for Canada is made public, all Mazdaspeed owners will be notified on how to get the recall done.

As of right now, special orders may be placed for vehicles being held up for delivery, as for the rest, I have been assured that it will be a fast turn around.

boogie
07-05-2007, 08:08 PM
More info here on the US recall including dealer procedure:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123675838&highlight=recall

Look's like they're just replacing the bolt w/ the updated part, and if anyone's original bolt is under-torqued they're also replacing the mount itself.

Unoriginalusername
07-06-2007, 09:50 AM
x2 this isn't an official recall for current owners at this point

Wild Weasel
07-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Finally I'll have an excuse to go pick up my touch up paint pen. I haven't been back to the dealer since picking up the car.

Garu
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think bolt itself is causing the failure... So replacing ONLY the bolt, I don't know.

Wild Weasel
07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought the failure was caused by the bolt not being properly tightened. If it is slightly loose, it will face far more stress than normal so simply tightening it down properly isn't a solution. Replacement becomes necessary.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not positive.

Unoriginalusername
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I thought the failure was caused by the bolt not being properly tightened. If it is slightly loose, it will face far more stress than normal so simply tightening it down properly isn't a solution. Replacement becomes necessary.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not positive.

it says check tq. at 22lbs or better, then in the reinstall it says 44lbs tq. i belive in the pdf instructions that were posted and i read through. i am not sure if the bolt itself is different, must be as they replace it anyways even if it is tight so something is different (maybe lock tight who knows).

Doesn't matter, there isn't a recall for existing owners at this point so they won't be able to replace anything yet if you do go. some cars were also fixed at the loading dock before being delivered, so even if you're car is within the range it might already be fixed which is why they need to cross reference all your serial numbers/stickers etc.

Wild Weasel
07-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I won't be showing up unless I get a phone call or letter. Heck, I'll be due for an oil change in another month or two anyway. :)

Pilzz
07-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I went to Mississauga Mazda today and they had the recall info for the motor mount in the system for my car. They would have done it today but they did not have the parts or time to do it so they are ordering the parts and they will let me know when it comes in. This is good because they have not sent out the recall notice yet and it is already in the system for my car.

kid_icarus
07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
that's good news.

Mazda of Toronto did me the great favour of ensuring that the motor mount was changed before I picked up the car on July 6th. (recall was issued on July 3 in Canada).

Can't help but think the Biz Jeff played a huge role in ensuring this was done in a timely process to ensure I got the car on my pickup day ready to go.

Unoriginalusername
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I went to Mississauga Mazda today and they had the recall info for the motor mount in the system for my car. They would have done it today but they did not have the parts or time to do it so they are ordering the parts and they will let me know when it comes in. This is good because they have not sent out the recall notice yet and it is already in the system for my car.

thats good to know, when a week or so ago and it wasn't in the system at that time. Mississuaga is good though

Garu
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
That's really good.
Who's sending out the letter? Mazda of Canada or the dealer?

boogie
07-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm going in to my dealer Friday to have the mount/bolt replaced, plus have the CEL purge valve issue taken care of.

Pilzz
07-18-2007, 09:30 PM
That's really good.
Who's sending out the letter? Mazda of Canada or the dealer?

It will come from Mazda Canada.

Unoriginalusername
07-18-2007, 10:31 PM

in one of the pdf's i read it said mazda would provide the dealership with a list of affected customers and it went on to say they can't use the letter for any marketing purposes etc. so not 100% sure, either way it'll be in the mail

spyder
07-23-2007, 10:33 PM
I just got my motor mount checked and the procedure they used indicated that they replaced the motormount as well as the bolt. Anyone else get this procedure. Apparently there are three types of repair procedures they could do relative to your vin or the torque spec chec. Do I notice a difference in the drive....not sure but first and second gear change seems less choppy like the engine is not jerking the car as much. We all know how much the engine moves when shifting....

Cheers!

Spyder

Unoriginalusername
07-24-2007, 07:14 AM
I just got my motor mount checked and the procedure they used indicated that they replaced the motormount as well as the bolt. Anyone else get this procedure. Apparently there are three types of repair procedures they could do relative to your vin or the torque spec chec. Do I notice a difference in the drive....not sure but first and second gear change seems less choppy like the engine is not jerking the car as much. We all know how much the engine moves when shifting....

Cheers!

Spyder

If you read the PDF the only time they replace the mount as well as the bolt is when it was below 22lbs of torque on the bolt (basically ready to fall out)... it also goes on to tell the dealer that this is a result of repeated hard driving in 1st and 2nd gear so the "i drive like an old lady" argument for future work probally isn't going to fly

spyder
07-24-2007, 08:20 AM
If you read the PDF the only time they replace the mount as well as the bolt is when it was below 22lbs of torque on the bolt (basically ready to fall out)... it also goes on to tell the dealer that this is a result of repeated hard driving in 1st and 2nd gear so the "i drive like an old lady" argument for future work probally isn't going to fly

Well actually that is not the case. I did have them inspect the bolt 3 months ago, I spoke to the tech specifically about this again and he explained at the time of this new TSB/recall, the three senarios/procedures weren't in place and the bolt was within spec. Not that it is the techs fault but he is following what the manuals say at the time. And since cars are always being improved or modified to fix unforseen problems...I ended up with one of the full changes on the mount/bolt. I think my car was one of the first cars in Canadian production too. As to my driving....I don't think my driving would be Granny driving and I am not race off the line kinda guy either but I do notice a difference in the launch now and I did say to them that a loose bolt does not indicate abusive driving...they also agreed.

Cheers!

Spyder

Unoriginalusername
07-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Well actually that is not the case. I did have them inspect the bolt 3 months ago, I spoke to the tech specifically about this again and he explained at the time of this new TSB/recall, the three senarios/procedures weren't in place and the bolt was within spec. Not that it is the techs fault but he is following what the manuals say at the time. And since cars are always being improved or modified to fix unforseen problems...I ended up with one of the full changes on the mount/bolt. I think my car was one of the first cars in Canadian production too. As to my driving....I don't think my driving would be Granny driving and I am not race off the line kinda guy either but I do notice a difference in the launch now and I did say to them that a loose bolt does not indicate abusive driving...they also agreed.

Cheers!

Spyder

good news then... mine goes for service this week

Jeff-TheBiz
07-24-2007, 10:30 AM

That being said..... Please let Mazda Canada know if you ever change your address. When a car is sold, and the warranty information submitted/updated, that information is used to alert you of recalls.

If you have moved, call Mazda Canada to update the info or send in your address change card found in your warranty book..

dsichewski
07-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Can't help but think the Biz Jeff played a huge role in ensuring this was done in a timely process to ensure I got the car on my pickup day ready to go.

Jeff = The Man!!!

Unoriginalusername
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
stop deliveries were first on mazda's to do list so that should have happened regardless. us other folk had to wait, mine gets done tomorrow

Walters
07-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey, Im new to TorontoMazda3.ca....met w few memebers in wasaga this weekend.

I noticed the posting on No. Engine mount, and was worried! I called my dealer who just told me he only got the notice yesterday,a nd is awaiting parts.

So for any MS3 on the road, he has told me there are issues and they should be fixed.

spyder
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey, Im new to TorontoMazda3.ca....met w few memebers in wasaga this weekend.

I noticed the posting on No. Engine mount, and was worried! I called my dealer who just told me he only got the notice yesterday,a nd is awaiting parts.

So for any MS3 on the road, he has told me there are issues and they should be fixed.

Most have the TSB/recall info now and the parts are available in Canada from what Mazda Canada told me so you can go to any dealership you want. And as I said I noticed a difference from launching and 1-2. Every MS3 should have this checked out now that they have finally addressed it.

Spyder

Unoriginalusername
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
recall done - bolt only

Pilzz
07-25-2007, 02:38 PM
recall done - bolt only

Good stuff!!! Im going to go by Mississauga Mazda tomorrow too!!!

spyder
07-25-2007, 03:20 PM
recall done - bolt only

Did you notice a difference in your ride or from launch?

Spyder

Unoriginalusername
07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
Did you notice a difference in your ride or from launch?
Spyder

No difference... but i think because yours was backed out some the engine was maybe moving more, so when they put in a new one at the tighter spec it probally felt better which made a noticable difference.

Mine hadn't loosened in its 8000km so the new longer bolt with lock tyte feels no different than what came out except that it should be more resitant to losening... thats my theory at least.

if that is true, others who get the replacement and ALSO need the replacement motormount procedure might also feel a difference if this was the case given their bolt would have been below tq. spec as well

Unoriginalusername
07-26-2007, 08:18 AM
No difference... but i think because yours was backed out some the engine was maybe moving more, so when they put in a new one at the tighter spec it probally felt better which made a noticable difference.

Mine hadn't loosened in its 8000km so the new longer bolt with lock tyte feels no different than what came out except that it should be more resitant to losening... thats my theory at least.

if that is true, others who get the replacement and ALSO need the replacement motormount procedure might also feel a difference if this was the case given their bolt would have been below tq. spec as well
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=82716.0

Had the work done on Tuesday at downtown Mazda in Toronto. The work order said they replaced a bracket, bolt and rubber gasket(??).

No surprise with the bolt and bracket but no idea about the rubber gasket.

Anyway, it is done and I'm glad I don't have to think about it any more. The car seems to buck a bit less under part throttle and seems to shift a bit smoother, so whatever they did seems to have made a small improvement.

Here's one from the Canada thread on mazda3forums who had the same procedure you did spyder and noticed a difference in the feel as well

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 09:18 AM
So has this been made an official recall yet? I haven't got any notice...

Unoriginalusername
07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
So has this been made an official recall yet? I haven't got any notice...

i haven't gotten one either, but mississauga mazda got it in and done... i am sure if you talk to a dealer at this point they can do it for you if they have the parts

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm about due for an oil change so when I make the appointment, I'll ask them about it.

zoomzoom33
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Had mine replaced today, I also had my floor mats replaced too - recall
floor mats:loco

Unoriginalusername
07-26-2007, 03:21 PM
Had mine replaced today, I also had my floor mats replaced too - recall
floor mats:loco

what do these floor matts look like that you have? mine are carpet with a red mazdaspeed on them

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 03:37 PM
He's talking about the winter mats, I'm sure. The carpet ones that come with the car are fine.

Unoriginalusername
07-26-2007, 03:49 PM
He's talking about the winter mats, I'm sure. The carpet ones that come with the car are fine.

ok got it

zoomzoom33
07-27-2007, 06:33 AM

Yep, the all weather ones. The new ones I got are a bit shorter so that the gas and clutch clears it when depressed fully.

jspeed_3
09-11-2007, 01:29 PM
i got an official recall letter from mazda couple of weeks ago bout the mount and i went and got it done at my dealer.funny thing is they didn't know anything about the recall and without the letter they wouldnt have done anything...

Garu
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Recall done.
There is bit of difference I guess. Clunk in shifting in 2nd gear got little softer.

WhiteSpeed3
09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
wehen i got mine done they said there was no problem with it

should i take it to another dealership?

SP33D 3
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
i got mine done at MoT... they seemed to know about it unlike the other dealers i called, along with having the part in stock... i received the letter from mazda 3 weeks after i did the change

boogie
09-12-2007, 03:08 AM
wehen i got mine done they said there was no problem with it

should i take it to another dealership?

yep. Even if the original bolt is torqued correctly, they are still supposed to replace it w/ the upgraded part.

flyinb22
09-12-2007, 08:17 PM
yep. Even if the original bolt is torqued correctly, they are still supposed to replace it w/ the upgraded part.

+1 ....they are to replace the bolt regardless....when I had mine done last month, there was no problems and it was torqued right from the facory but it was still replaced and re-torqued to spec. Een if it made no difference, it was a nice peace-of-mind for me.

craigrodrigues88
09-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Does this include the 08.5 Speed3's? I hate when I am trying to shift hard from 1st to 2nd and I have to try 2-3 times to get it in gear!

Zoom Zoom Boy
09-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Does this include the 08.5 Speed3's? I hate when I am trying to shift hard from 1st to 2nd and I have to try 2-3 times to get it in gear!

Nope, doesn't apply to the 2008 or 2008.5 models as these were all corrected in the factory. Go back to the original post for all of the details and affected VIN and date ranges.