PDA

View Full Version : Could you adjust the tension on the front windshield wipers?

azn_outlaw
07-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Okay I my front wipers skip and chatter worse then that Umbrella song by Rhianna...

and mind you this is my third set within a year for this friggin car...

mainly the passenger wiper skipps and chatters....

what it looks like the wiper has lost tension or does not hold down onto the windshiled..

so I wonder is there any way of increasing or adjust the tension?

that or is it a good idea to add those wiper weights to hold the wipers a bit better?

the wipers I am using are the Rain-X from Walmart...and it is insalled on a 06 Mazda3 hatchback...

oddly enough the viewmax one I installed on my 05 are perfectly fine...

Cardinal Fang
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I've seen clips that you attach on the wiper blades used with a great degree of success. You can buy them at Canadian Tire.

yellow 3
07-11-2007, 02:04 PM
same problem here with the same wipers i had them replaced 6 times alredy by canadian tire and going for a new set today

Skarbro
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
Apply Rain-X (the spray or bottle). This should help.

sp3GT
07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
My wipers are screwed up too, it's almost better for me to not wipe. Cause it just gets worse when I use them. I've given up. lol

WLS ZMZM
07-17-2007, 01:04 PM
its a pain in the butt... but there are these spring tensioners you can buy at canadian tire.. they clip around the wiper arm itself.... and tighten it... and really hold it down... had them on my old van years ago... and they never skipped at all..

Flagrum_3
07-20-2007, 12:37 AM
its a pain in the butt... but there are these spring tensioners you can buy at canadian tire.. they clip around the wiper arm itself.... and tighten it... and really hold it down... had them on my old van years ago... and they never skipped at all..

There was lots of dicussion years ago, when these springs first came out, that those spring tensioners are actually bad for the wiper motor, as the extra tension forcing the wiper blades onto the windshield will cause the motor to work harder and therefore cause premature burnout.

_3

EvilDeadFan
07-20-2007, 04:43 AM
Bosch Icons. Problem solved. Skip the crap and go right to the best. Been using them for a year now. Same blades all winter/summer/spring long now. No signs of wear yet. Unbelievable!

dentinger
07-20-2007, 11:26 PM
i find my blades just work perfectly for about 2 months, then go to crap...
ive found that the reflex blades dont quite get the edge of my windshield on the passenger side, and eventually leave random streaks...
so i just stick with the cheapo $20/pair blades.
hey, they work better then the $50 reflex ones!!

rktsci
07-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Bosch Icons. Problem solved. Skip the crap and go right to the best. Been using them for a year now. Same blades all winter/summer/spring long now. No signs of wear yet. Unbelievable!

So where do you get the Bosch wipers? I've never seen them in Canadian Tire. I'm at the point where I need new blades and was about to make a trip to the store today. I've been reasonably happy with the reflex blades up until now.

PlatMS6
07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Bought the MICHELINs (called Radius I think) from Costco for 12$ a piece I believe and all has been great for almost a year now.

They are better than the Reflex that I had on the 3 thats for sure!

asif9t9
07-25-2007, 05:44 PM
I was reading the manual the other day (new car, bored) and I noticed the instructions to replace the wipers mention a metal piece that slide into the rubber blade. To give the rubber the right shape, I think. And when you change the blade, you're supposed to transplant this metal piece..I think. Not sure if they want you to stick with Mazda OEM blades, or if all wipers come with a place to slide in the metal piece. Anyone know what I'm talking about?