PDA

View Full Version : CEL with your CAI

dr1ft3r
07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Im debating wether to install an intake or not due to CEL problems i read from other people. I want to know the chances of getting them and the percentage of people who had them due to intake.. If its the quality of the CAI or just luck of the draw. But is there a sure fire way to prevent CEL from not lighting up? I assume by removing and attaching the maf sensors carefully, or not killing it in the rain.

sp3GT
07-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I have the Fujita F5, no problems so far on my hatch. But some ppl have experienced CEL with that intake. Just make sure there is some slack for the MAF wires.

DrunknFoo
07-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Was it 2 or 3 weeks ago when we got hit with that extreme down pour of rain? Anyways, that day I ran into an almost 4m long, 1foot deep lake of a puddle and came out without issues. I think all the stories you've probably read were due to not enough slack of the maf wires or dirty maf sensor. I wouldn't worry too much about it and just get it.

dr1ft3r
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Im sure this has been answered before but whats the difference in the quality of the brands. I assume they are all just piping with a cone in the end and different stickers? But how are some brands more prone to cel than others?

MattC
07-11-2007, 10:22 PM
why am i "a lucky bastard" since i installed my CAI properly and didnt pop a CEL?

dr1ft3r
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
relax bro

b
07-12-2007, 12:47 AM
There should be an option for "YES I have a cai & my cel has been on for 2 years straight because of it" as that is what I would have picked.

JonsMazda
07-12-2007, 12:50 AM
haven't had any cel problems yet with the fujita f5....

Broli
07-12-2007, 01:32 AM
i said no,

but the answer is two-fold

i had the tech racing intake, CELs always when it rained, got rid of it and got MS intake

never had a cel with it and am super happy with decision!

MattC
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
The problems people have when it rains is strange, as normall the intakes are mounted to the same brackets, regardless of their make.

I think it has more to do with the pressure sensor not being sealed properly or something. I am no weather man, but when it rains im pretty sure the pressure drops, so maybe whne it dips below a certain level, if its not air tight it will pop a light cause it detects a big change.

We need some sort of Mazda engine expert to come here and anwser all these some day :chuckle

chinsterr
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Only get the CEL when I leave my car outside during a HEAVY thunderstorm then have to drive highway right after ....

As for car washes, only had the problem once ...

*I have the AEM btw

Broli
07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
with my old intake

if i went higher than 4000 RPM in the rain or the next day after the rain (while filter was still wet) i would throw the CEL

sometimes i would foget the next day, hit it and then . . . CEL you could feel it happen!

oh man, i dont miss that!

dr1ft3r
07-12-2007, 10:07 AM
Do you guys use watershield ?

Broli
07-12-2007, 10:10 AM
i had no shield before

i do with the MS intake now

dr1ft3r
07-12-2007, 10:12 AM
Where can i get them?

Broli
07-12-2007, 10:13 AM
the MS intake came with it

perhaps you can search on ebay or check a performance shop

Sean80
07-12-2007, 04:55 PM
I have the MS CAI and no CEL's, comes with the watershield as Broli said.

ksukh
07-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Talk to CTA Patrique, he may be able to assist you with a watershield.

TheLouch
07-25-2007, 05:26 PM
I've had a MS CAI installed since last June - the only time I got a CEL with it was when I neglected to completely dry the filter after cleaning it and reved it up to 5-grand ... stupidity has no limits :)
That said, disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU and waiting for the filter to completely dry solved the CEL - no signs of it since then, even when reved upto the limiter.

dr1ft3r
07-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. i see that 17% gets CEL. i've decided to install my cai next spring since summer is almost half done. ill just let it sit in my garage till then.

1flycdnM3
07-26-2007, 12:07 PM
^^ install it now and enjoy the rest of your summer with it!

so far NO problems with my Fujita either, but i will make my own water shield within the next few weeks. the sedan is more prone to water hitting the filter due to its location.

ksukh
07-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I've had a MS CAI installed since last June - the only time I got a CEL with it was when I neglected to completely dry the filter after cleaning it and reved it up to 5-grand ... stupidity has no limits :)
That said, disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU and waiting for the filter to completely dry solved the CEL - no signs of it since then, even when reved upto the limiter.

I would very likely end up doing the same thing, do you guys get any problems going through the car wash with your CAI's? I've had no problems.......yet...

Xenon
07-26-2007, 04:20 PM
I have an Injen CAI with the Injen Hydroshield over the cone. Never had a CEL related to my CAI before. Even in heavy rain and during/after car washes.

doughboyr6
07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys and gals. i see that 17% gets CEL. i've decided to install my cai next spring since summer is almost half done. ill just let it sit in my garage till then.

just put it in....i had mine sitting since april and only got it put in yesterday....loving it....

Boris
07-29-2007, 02:30 PM
just install it, why don't u wnat to wait till next spring anyway??

ksukh
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
I Agree with everyone else...install it...you'll love the sound.

Ex-Rolla
08-03-2007, 11:13 PM
i answered to "YES, i've had cel sometimes, but it comes on and off when it rains ". But that's not completely true. I have only experienced the CEL once when it rained, but it was due to my neglect.

The only other time i have had the CEL come on was after a car wash. After i got out of the wash, while turning onto the main street i had to floor it, so the CEL came on because the MAF sensor probably got a lil mist on it or something... later that night it was gone.

I want to reiterate that the CEL that i experienced was my own fault and not the design of the CAI... WOT and heavy rain don't mix :loco