PDA

View Full Version : MS CAI cleaning

lancesir
07-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie and a new 3 owner, but just reading the existing threads it seems like there's a gazillion mods I want to do already!

I think I'll start by getting the MS CAI but I want to know how easy is it to take out the filter and clean it? Do you have to pull it out from the driver side wheel well? Or is there a easier way to get to it?

And also, will the CAI interfere with rustproofing? IIRC the CAI routes down and out of the engine bay, so I'm worried rustproof oil spray may get on the filter. Anyone have a problem with this?

Thanks!

whiteomega
07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
from what i've seen, you pretty much have to get at it from the wheel well.

the CAI is protected from underspray by a plastic panel that clips in under the engine undercover; as long as that isn't removed during the rustproofing, you'll be fine, but you will need to remove it to get at the filter.

Magitronic
07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Cleaning it isnt the easiest thing but its not bad... I clean mine when I change the oil ... not sure how often it recommends but it takes a bit of time becuz you pretty much need to jack up the car, remove the front driver side wheel and then remove the covers and such. Prolly looking at about a hour of work. Reason I said to do it when you do your oil change is becuz if you change your oil yourself you can just clean the filter etc well the oil is draining.

MattC
07-17-2007, 11:37 AM
It all depends on how you install it, if you install it with the screw that holds the filter on the pipe facing towards the wheel well then yes its probably possible. but if you don't, then it might be more difficult as you don't get much clearance through the wheel well.

rcd001
07-17-2007, 10:15 PM
If it is like the Injen, it uses a K and N filter. Through normal driving once every 6 months should be fine. It costs about $60 to get it done at most garages.

lancesir
07-18-2007, 08:35 AM
Hmm, so if I jack up the front, then can I just unscrew remove the underspray cover to get at the filter? Then I don't need to go through the wheel well?

kid_icarus
07-18-2007, 04:27 PM
which i guess begs the question.

Since i've never actually removed a CAI filter in my life.
How easy is it to remove once you get through either the wheel well or underspray cover?

Afterwards, what do you use to clean the filter? or how do you do so?
I'm quite sure these do NOT need to be "replaced"? Only cleaned correct?

whiteomega
07-19-2007, 11:24 AM
i haven't gone in to remove the filter myself, but from what i saw when it was being installed, it should be pretty straight forward and easy. you will have to remove the splash shield, since it helps hold the filter in place (you could probably get away with loosening the bolts holding the shield, rather than out-right removing them).

[Edit: there's another thread about cleaning the K&N air filter..it's pretty straightforward, i think. you could also just google it; i'm sure there's detailed instructions out there)

kid_icarus
07-19-2007, 12:01 PM
i haven't gone in to remove the filter myself, but from what i saw when it was being installed, it should be pretty straight forward and easy. you will have to remove the splash shield, since it helps hold the filter in place (you could probably get away with loosening the bolts holding the shield, rather than out-right removing them).

[Edit: there's another thread about cleaning the K&N air filter..it's pretty straightforward, i think. you could also just google it; i'm sure there's detailed instructions out there)

Is the other thread for the DROP IN filter? or for the CAI filter?

I guess it's probably the same technique to wash both though huh?

lol when you tell me to remove splash shield i'm already lost.

I'll google around, but i'd feel happier with detailed MAZDA 3 pictures and instructions. CAI cleaning for dummies basically aka me! =)

whiteomega
07-19-2007, 01:42 PM
it's in the thread you started :)

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19408

i'm assuming that's for the cold air intake, as that was what the subject is... :)

i've never cleaned my filter, because it's been in for a little over two months, and i haven't had need to yet. basically, on the mazdaspeed CAI, the splash shield is bolted to the intake pipe in two places, and when properly installed, it holds the filter in place (along with the hose clamp). in order to properly remove the filter, you need to loosen the hose clamp, and at least loosen the two bolts holding the splash shield in place, so that you can get the filter out from under the shield.

kid_icarus
07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
oh dang i completely missed that!
sorry i got confused and lost between the two threads! thanks for that omega!

lancesir
07-21-2007, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

ksukh
07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to use any other filter when replacing the old MS CAI filter? I forgot what the dimensions were...