PDA

View Full Version : New Car Exterior Care Advice Please?

SilentJay
07-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,
I don't even have the car yet, and i'm already thinking about what sort of precautionary steps I need to take to keep my car looking its best. Are there any guidelines/timelines I should follow as far as when to wax, what to use and whatnot?

I think i'm going to get a can or two of the 3M stainguard stuff for the interior, but figured i'd make a weekend of it and keep the exterior looking good too. Any help would be much appreciated!

:bana

S.F.W.
07-24-2007, 05:21 PM
I would also suggest clay barring, and waxing the car. When the car is shipped the paint picks up contaminants, so best to use clay to remove them, and then a fresh couple coats of wax.

SABIO
07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
I Agree with S.F.W.
Dealers giv'er a qik wash + vacum and spray on the tire foam.

Soap her up and take an hour to wash it everywhere. You will see all the dirt and small scratches on your car :)
Clay bar it to remove all the contaminants, even use a paint cleaner after the clay bar.
Use a good wax and have at 'er. A couple coats or 3 will do to give it the protection it needs.
I would wax it once a month. Clay bar it in the spring and in the fall.

http://www.meguiars.com/index.cfm

This is a good brand, available just about anywhere.

SilentJay
07-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I Agree with S.F.W.
Dealers giv'er a qik wash + vacum and spray on the tire foam.
Soap her up and take an hour to wash it everywhere. You will see all the dirt and small scratches on your car :)
Clay bar it to remove all the contaminants, even use a paint cleaner after the clay bar. Use a good wax and have at 'er. A couple coats or 3 will do to give it the protection it needs. I would wax it once a month. Clay bar it in the spring and in the fall.

http://www.meguiars.com/index.cfm

This is a good brand, available just about anywhere.

Sound advice guys, thank you! That said, i've never used a clay bar before, despite hearing about it everywhere. I've seen the packaging, and it looks sort of like a bar of soap really... would I just rub that bar across my paint? :loco

I didn't get the paint protection as a dealer option for my car, and want to protect the paint as best possible. Any particular type of Meguiar's wax you guys recommend?

Lastly, I'd also like to get a clear bra for the car, but want to make sure that there aren't any contaminants on the paint before it goes on. While I doubt they use a glue-type adhesive for the bra, how do they apply it so that it sticks, but won't end up tearing up the paint after 4-5 years?

Thanks guys! :bana

S.F.W.
07-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Sound advice guys, thank you! That said, i've never used a clay bar before, despite hearing about it everywhere. I've seen the packaging, and it looks sort of like a bar of soap really... would I just rub that bar across my paint? :loco

I didn't get the paint protection as a dealer option for my car, and want to protect the paint as best possible. Any particular type of Meguiar's wax you guys recommend?

I would recommend purchasing your detailing materials from eshine.ca one of our sponsors. They carry Meguiar's product, as well as other higher end brands for great prices.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196

eShine.ca
07-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Wash it, clay it, polish it then Seal/wax it! Here is an article on Claying,

http://www.eshine.ca/DetailClay.htm

Caz
07-25-2007, 08:34 AM
That is a great write up.

asif9t9
07-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Lastly, I'd also like to get a clear bra for the car, but want to make sure that there aren't any contaminants on the paint before it goes on. While I doubt they use a glue-type adhesive for the bra, how do they apply it so that it sticks, but won't end up tearing up the paint after 4-5 years?

I'm also wondering about the bra. Won't the colour of the paint under the bra end up different than the rest of the car, after you peel off the bra? Or, over time, the rest of the car will clean differently than the smooth part of the bra. The paint under the bra would theoretically look perfect forever.