PDA

View Full Version : Mother's clay bar kit.... is there anything else i need?

redman
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM
i want to wax my car this weekend for the first time i was thinking about buying this
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444189 0219&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672466&bmUID=1185471359615

is there anything else that i need?

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Others will disagree with me but if your car is brand new, I wouldn't bother with the clay.

The clay bar kit isn't a wax. It's to get your paint completely clean. It removes everything, including tiny deposits in the paint you wouldn't otherwise get out.

It's not what you use to wax the car. It's something you do before waxing to make it uber-clean.

You're still going to need a your wax of choice and applicators and what not.

If you were me... you'd still need wax applicators, buffing towels, polish (Meguires step 2) and wax (Meguires step 3).

Wild Weasel
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh... and you also need wash mitts and car wash and a bucket. :) You need to wash the car after claying it.

EvilDeadFan
07-26-2007, 02:55 PM
yes. WAX! :P Some microfiber towels. the kind you can get 4x$6 or whatever, a buffer and or a strong shoulder. ;)

Clay your car as soon as you get it! Lots of cars have rail dust deposits all over their paint but have no idea.

Here's a sure fire test. Wet your car down really well. Grab a plastic sandwich bag, any brand, and stick your hand in it and gently rub your hand over the surface of the paint. Feel all those bumps? Those aren't coming out not matter how you wash your car. Clay lifts that crap out, thus preventing rust.

Caz
07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
I would still use the clay bar. Think of it the car sat on a barge across the pacific ocean and then on a train across half the country, there is going to be some contaiminates like rail dust on the paint that the dealerships quick wash before delivery won't get off of the paint. If you are going to the trouble of waxing the car you might as well give it a really good cleaning.

matt
07-26-2007, 03:44 PM
the mothers clay bar kit works very well, although i wish they gave u a bigger piece of clay. anyway, I didnt use it initially when i picked up my car in may, and it was rough on some parts, I suppose where it wasnt covered with plastic before pdi. after using the clay and detailer (lubricant) the paint was smooth as ever. ill be claying every so often, maybe 1 or 2 times a yr.

redman
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
should i pick up a bottle of nxt also? or what combo would you guys recommend. i want to clay bar and wax my car. my car is almost a year old. i pretty sure i should use a clay bar. i've been parking under a tree and these damn berries keep falling on the hood of my car.

Flagrum_3
07-26-2007, 04:16 PM
redman just wash it, clay it, wash it again and use whatever wax you fancy as you'd get a million different answers to that one.Look thru some threads to get an idea of what people are using, but do it soon because those berries will kill your paint!! ....not to mention the tree sap.

_3

MAZDA Kitten
07-26-2007, 04:18 PM
If you frequent USA I would recommend hitting a Wal Mart across the border
I picked up Meguiars claybar kit for $13, all of SIMONIZ detailing stuff is $1.97 and NXT wax is $12
They have some nice products that we dont get here either and micro-fiber wash mitts are $3

I stocked up this past weekend when I was new jersey

Caz
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I have heard lots of good things about NXT.
I use the Gold Class paste wax, it works pretty good for the price.

yellowmp5
07-30-2007, 04:02 PM
If you frequent USA I would recommend hitting a Wal Mart across the border
I picked up Meguiars claybar kit for $13, all of SIMONIZ detailing stuff is $1.97 and NXT wax is $12
They have some nice products that we dont get here either and micro-fiber wash mitts are $3

I stocked up this past weekend when I was new jersey

+1

i bought a Mother's Clay Kit for $14USD j/ last month in walmart chicago...
but j/ sold it to a member in Toprotege forum for $15CAD...and
i j/ went over to Buffalo for the weekend and bought myself
the Meguiar Clay kit for $17USD...

mothers come w/ a bigger clay, detail spray, sample bottle of wax

meguiar come w/ 2 small piece of clay (equivalent to mother's 1 piece clay), detail spray, sample bottle of wax, a container for the clay and microfibre cloth.

but i won't be clayin' my car this summer, probably will do it late spring of 2008, since my car is still new, and the finish surface still don't feel rough..

this is what i've learnt and will approach
rinse - soap - rinse - dry - clay - cleaner wax - polish - nxt wax....
all i need to buy is cleaner wax (step 1) and polish (step 2) when i
visit US again.....

kid_icarus
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
+1

i bought a Mother's Clay Kit for $14USD j/ last month in walmart chicago...
but j/ sold it to a member in Toprotege forum for $15CAD...and
i j/ went over to Buffalo for the weekend and bought myself
the Meguiar Clay kit for $17USD...

mothers come w/ a bigger clay, detail spray, sample bottle of wax

meguiar come w/ 2 small piece of clay (equivalent to mother's 1 piece clay), detail spray, sample bottle of wax, a container for the clay and microfibre cloth.

but i won't be clayin' my car this summer, probably will do it late spring of 2008, since my car is still new, and the finish surface still don't feel rough..

this is what i've learnt and will approach
visit US again.....

gonna use meguiars i'm guessing?

yellowmp5
07-30-2007, 05:24 PM
gonna use meguiars i'm guessing?

for sure! Meguiar's the bomb...and affordable....
at least when buyin' in USA....1/2 price baby!!

MAZDA Kitten
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
visit US again.....

Just clayed my car this weekend
The amount of shit that came off my car is unbelievable (and this after using Turle Wax ICE "LIQUID CLAY BAR") The roof was the worst

I was so tired I finished off at Step 1 but I got my bottle of Step 2 and wax for next weekend
Its a long tiring process but oh so worth it :bana2

kid_icarus
07-30-2007, 06:51 PM
The amount of shit that came off my car is unbelievable (and this after using Turle Wax ICE "LIQUID CLAY BAR") The roof was the worst

I was so tired I finished off at Step 1 but I got my bottle of Step 2 and wax for next weekend

I'm willing to pay you $40 bucks to do steps 1-3 for me!! I'll supply water and supplies =P

stevenlung
07-30-2007, 07:08 PM
does the clay bar work on the side skirt too? There's so many shit on the side skirt that I can't wash it off (those sticky black spots)

Thx guys

yellowmp5
07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
try using bug & tar remover (a cheaper solution)....
if that doesn't work, scratch remover should work too....
worst comes to worst, you could still clay it out....
but try bug & tar remover first...

kid_icarus
07-30-2007, 11:19 PM
i looked for meguirs step 1/2/3 at canadian tire 3 weeks ago and couldn't find it.

i'd rather not order it online either... damn i should make a trek to the states.

do you guys use the same

applicator or cloth to do the waxing/polishing/paint cleaner???

like if i buy microfibre towels can i pretty much use that to
- polish
- clean OFF wax
- apply paint cleaner?

and for the actual application of wax what should i use?

i have a feeling i'll be dead tired after this. will probably need sushi buffet or something to fill the void.

b
07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
I found when I used the meguires clay bar on my car a month ago that not much came off. I was expecting a lot more. The bar still looks brand new!

bubba1983
07-31-2007, 02:01 AM
claybarring is, IMO the most efficient way to clean you rpaint properly. I am a full supporter of claybarring. its good practise to only clay once or twice a year (in teh spring or in teh fall) claying too often isn't good, unless you get a claybar which isn't as abrasive (usually found with higher end cleaning product suppliers)

Tizmee24
07-31-2007, 02:57 AM

men this is why i havent wax mine for the last 1 yr coz take to long and this step 1/2/3 wow for sure it will kill me by the time i finish waxing .... i only wax mine in car wash lol

yellowmp5
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
i looked for meguirs step 1/2/3 at canadian tire 3 weeks ago and couldn't find it.

i saw meguiars step1 (cleanerwax), step2 (polish), NXT wax, and claybar
@ the bayville/hwy 7 location canadian tire.
they were $14+tax each for the step1&2,
NXt was $30+tax, and claybar was $27+tax

however, my last trip to buffalo, past weekend @ advance autozone,
$7usd+tax for step1&2, claybar was $17usd+tax
walmart has NXT for $14usd+tax

dredd2099
07-31-2007, 08:31 PM
men this is why i havent wax mine for the last 1 yr coz take to long and this step 1/2/3 wow for sure it will kill me by the time i finish waxing .... i only wax mine in car wash lol

u can always do a panel at a time
eh heh

i saw meguiars step1 (cleanerwax), step2 (polish), NXT wax, and claybar
@ the bayville/hwy 7 location canadian tire.
they were $14+tax each for the step1&2,
NXt was $30+tax, and claybar was $27+tax

however, my last trip to buffalo, past weekend @ advance autozone,
$7usd+tax for step1&2, claybar was $17usd+tax
walmart has NXT for $14usd+tax

sad aint it
most better deals can only be had across the border
on a brighter side, since cdn $ is almost on par with us$ nowadays
its teh win!

MAZDA Kitten
08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm willing to pay you $40 bucks to do steps 1-3 for me!! I'll supply water and supplies =P

LOL... ooooooooooooooooh sounds tempting!!

NOT:chuckle

zeroburn
08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I got up early before it was too warm, and did the wash/clay/step 2, and 3 as step 1 is similar to claying.