PDA

View Full Version : Breather Filter on Valve Cover!!

active3s
08-09-2007, 06:52 AM
http://www.active-trend.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/normal_DSCF3193.JPG
http://www.active-trend.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10003/normal_DSCF3189.JPG

Well, as shown and stated... When I purchased the WeaponR Dragon SRI they also hooked me up with a breather filter. I had it in my closet since I bought it on Feb. As I was looking for other crap I came across it and wonder why I havent tried installing it. Well, I remembered, the SRI has a vaccum line hook up already just like most CAI, so I figured it did not need it. Well, I said F^&* it and bought a plug kit from the autoparts and plug that line hook up on the SRI and installed the breather as you see. I dont know if its just in my head but I was able to tell big diference after this quick hook up... Any body else done this?

PlatMS6
08-09-2007, 07:37 AM
ILLEGAL - And every cop pretty much would look for it if they wanted to see under your hood

Skarbro
08-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Yup. You're messing with the emissions control system. Cops love that. Not to mention, you will fail your emissions test if they find it.

MattC
08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
what does this even do? apart from mess with the emission control system?

it looks pretty cool.

garboui
08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
it vents any blow by gasses, oil off gasses and oil particulate from your crankcase. youting it into your airbox does nothing be burn off these small amounts of unburnt blow by as well as any oil. because of this i dont see having it sepreatly ventallated maked any measureable difference good or bad at all.

and yes if a cop does see this its a big fine.

3GFX
08-09-2007, 11:28 AM
So if its that illegal...how good are the gains?

yellowmp5
08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
heard it was like a $300ish fine......

FLIPDADY
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah but down in the some states they aren't illegal.

He lives in Virginia.

active3s
08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
ehhem, Kentucky.. Soon in Georgia.....
I realy havent heard anything about it.. I guess I can find out through each state....

FLIPDADY
08-09-2007, 03:53 PM
ehhem, Kentucky.. Soon in Georgia.....
I realy havent heard anything about it.. I guess I can find out through each state....
My bad....Close to Virginia.:)

active3s
08-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Alright, this is what I found out...Yes its illegal to make any alterations to engine blowby or anithing that goes with emmision reduction. This to include "Factory Cat Converter". There I go, moving ticket with my Vibrant...
Anyways...Most states only have emmision control only in big city/metropolis residents. Let say here in Kentucky, If you live in Louisville, Yes, any alteration that is not compatible to factory specs, would be illegal...If its a county with little towns, they dont enforce it.. I guess because of not that bif of a population and small town residents only drive as needed and most times long distance.. So there lucky me..I hope is like this when I get to the next base. I also found out that I wasnt nuts. It does help a bit on power. Not much, that line is a Vaccum line that sucks some of the air that suppost to go in the intake manifold. It actualy does build some pressure to. I was really wondering how did it put gasses into the intake when it sucks not blow..Can sombody please tell me what I am missing..Now, there is other lines that go to the intake manifold...I was told not to mess with those...

rcd001
08-10-2007, 12:11 AM
You can't see it with the plastic engine cover on?

I see a lot of these on 2.8V6 VW's.

What is the advantage of this besides all the illegal stuff. Headers would be illegal to because you remove the primary cat. I heard the intake re-breather causes you to loose performance because your car inhales some CO2 but improves on fuel economy?

Magitronic
08-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Ontario is the same way regarding emissions laws ... when I was stationed up in petawawa I didnt need to get emissions tests and then realized that the laws only apply in larger populated areas. Definitly was a piss off when I was forced back down into the GTA.

rcd001
08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
So even if it it hidden, this will cause you to fail emmision.

skunk2
08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
3sActice - how does this make a big difference?

active3s
08-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Maybe its just me, Its felt that it had a bit more pep..I tried it first by putting a plug on the out from the SRI and placed the breather straing on the hose. I noticed quite diferent on power from 1st to 4th. 5 not so good. and mileage is better when cruising on lower gears for some reason. Then I plugged the vaccum line back on the SRI and it felt sluggish compared to before...I did reset the computer..
Can somebody else just try it so I can see if its just me....