PDA

View Full Version : DIY Homelink-style garage door remote

Skarbro
08-11-2007, 05:21 PM
This mod is VERY simple.

The motorcycle guys have been doing this for years, so it's nothing new.

(note - This doesn't cover panel removing in the car. There are tons of other threads out there that cover this.)

What you'll need:
Wires (18 gauge for the power; higher gauge works for the switch)
12V Garage door remote (I bought a Skylink universal remote from Canadian Tire for $29.99 - I can re-program easily it if I ever move or change the garage door opener)
Momentary switch
Wire connectors (optional)
Solder gun and solder
Your typical wiring tools (stripper, cutter, crimper)
Program the remote. It's much easier to do it first before you start modifying it. You'll also want to make sure it works with your garage door opener.
Open up the remote. You can easily verify what voltage it uses by finding the battery. If you are using a remote that uses less than 12V, then you'll have to add a resistor - this DIY does not cover that
Find the switch on the circuit board. You should be able figure out which two connections the switch bridges by using a paper clip or some other electrical bridge. When you bridge it with the battery in, the remote should activate.
Solder a wire to each of the switch connections on the circuit board. Use a one-piece wire - this will make it a little easier. Test it out by connecting the 2 ends of the wires briefly.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3246/dsc00282rg9.jpg
Remove the battery.
Prepare wire leads to the battery terminals. Remember which is (+) and which is (-). I had to dremmel a bit to get the cover for the remote back on.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/416/dsc00283vw1.jpg http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/6770/dsc00285mq7.jpg
Disconnect the (-) car battery terminal.
Tap the (+) wire into a 12V source on the car. I chose the cigarette lighter wire because it turns off when the key is off (for extra security).
Tap the (-) into a suitable grounding source. I just tapped it into the (-) wire for the cigarette lighter.
Mount the momentary switch wherever you like in the car. I ended up choosing one of the blank switches to the left of the steering wheel. Connect the 2 wires running from the switch connections on the circuit board (it doesn't matter which wire goes on which terminal of the switch).
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2069/dsc00287tu7.jpg
Re-connect the (-) car battery terminal.And you're done! When you hit the button, the garage door opener should activate (this particular remote doesn't activate until after you release the button). You don't have to worry about changing the battery. And if someone breaks in your car while it's in the driveway, it won't work without the key in the ignition. Also, I should note that I hid my remote pretty well in the car - just in case someone breaks in and rips apart the dash - even though everything else is pretty much stock. :) LOL

Here's a wiring diagram that I stole from this other page I found. The only difference is that I tapped into the cigarette lighter, not the running light wire:

http://www.biketweakers.com/garagedooropener.html

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9356/garagedooropenermg3.jpg

* Photos taken with Sony Ericsson w810i in macro mode!

cwp_sedan
08-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Awesome mod!! Looks extremely easy to replicate.

aznkid.com
08-11-2007, 05:35 PM
That's an amazing mod!

EvilDeadFan
08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Very awesome indeed.

b3GS
08-11-2007, 08:22 PM
wicked mod!!

kid_icarus
08-11-2007, 08:31 PM
it's nicE! i LIKE!

now where should i mount this thing.... maybe i'll put the button on the bottom corner beside the airbag light..... hrmnnn

sp3GT
08-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Very nice, I think i'll be trying that. So thats what your switch was for.

Wild Weasel
08-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice. I like the switch. Did Chad hook you up with the wiring details? :chuckle

kid_icarus
08-11-2007, 10:52 PM
quick question.

this does not mean that the cigarette lighter will be rendered useless does it?
skarbro? maybe you can let me know ?

i still need it for phone charging

just want to make sure that the voltage is only divereted "monetarily" with the button and that's it.

btw how did you cut a hole in the plastic to place the button? what did u use?

Wild Weasel
08-11-2007, 10:54 PM
Hell no. You can get 12v from all sorts of places. When he mentioned the cig lighter wire, he means he's tapped into it, not disconnected it. It still goes to the cig lighter socket.

kid_icarus
08-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Hell no. You can get 12v from all sorts of places. When he mentioned the cig lighter wire, he means he's tapped into it, not disconnected it. It still goes to the cig lighter socket.

ahhh
i thought it "steals" the voltage from the cig lighter... was worried the switch would render it useless

-RJ3-
08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Skarbro... So thats all the fuss about 12v source... Im gonna do this mod too.... Now that I know even if someone can break into the car, They cant activate it unless the car is on... NICE WORK!!!

Gizzmo_jr
08-12-2007, 01:33 AM
lol awesome, I've done this with that exact remote for my bike. Never thought about it with the car, not that there is a particular need.

Good call, something so simple makes life 10x easier.

Kevin@nextmod
08-12-2007, 01:40 AM
anyone wanna do mine?:)

Skarbro
08-12-2007, 03:38 AM
Very nice, I think i'll be trying that. So thats what your switch was for.
Heh... I racked by brain for a couple of days trying to find a good location and the blank switch ended up being best. :) The switch just barely fits (with a little trimming of the blank).

Nice. I like the switch. Did Chad hook you up with the wiring details? :chuckle
Yeah I found the switch at The Source. Nice and small. Chad? LOL No, Google is more reliable. :chuckle

quick question.

this does not mean that the cigarette lighter will be rendered useless does it?
skarbro? maybe you can let me know ?

i still need it for phone charging

just want to make sure that the voltage is only divereted "monetarily" with the button and that's it.

Like Weasel said, you can still use the cigarette lighter at the same time. Electricity works that way. :) If you've never done any electrical wiring before, I suggest asking for help to do it correctly. You don't want to mess with electricity. You could potentially create a fire situation.

btw how did you cut a hole in the plastic to place the button? what did u use?
My good ol' Dremmel tool!

Skarbro... So thats all the fuss about 12v source... Im gonna do this mod too.... Now that I know even if someone can break into the car, They cant activate it unless the car is on... NICE WORK!!!
Heh... Yeah 12V devices rule! :bana

asif9t9
08-12-2007, 09:44 AM
That is one of the coolest mods ever!! I guess you don't really have to do the battery hookup. Just find a smaller switch, and then bury the switch and remote anywhere. No security, but all garage door openers are like that. I'm picturing the cig lighter actually being the garage door opener switch.

kid_icarus
08-12-2007, 01:30 PM
That is one of the coolest mods ever!! I guess you don't really have to do the battery hookup. Just find a smaller switch, and then bury the switch and remote anywhere. No security, but all garage door openers are like that. I'm picturing the cig lighter actually being the garage door opener switch.

no kidding... it's honestly harder to break in with this switch than for a thief to break into your car in the driveway and just press the button hanging on the visor

garboui
08-12-2007, 09:00 PM
hmm i think im going to do that too, except as for the mounting location im going to put the button in the pannel between the cig lighter and airbag light. then velcro the remote in the void space under the dash, over the vents. this way it will be easy to re-program if need be and have a nice srong signal out the front window to the garage door opener.

Skarbro
08-13-2007, 05:30 AM
hmm i think im going to do that too, except as for the mounting location im going to put the button in the pannel between the cig lighter and airbag light. then velcro the remote in the void space under the dash, over the vents. this way it will be easy to re-program if need be and have a nice srong signal out the front window to the garage door opener.
It's funny you should post this. This is EXACTLY how I originally planned on setting up mine. I didn't end up using the same locations, but I did use the Velcro to make it easy to remove the remote to re-program it if necessary. The remove has a very large range to begin with, so putting it anywhere in the car still works well.