PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X Anyone?

Centropolis
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Just wondering if any of you use Rain-X on your windshield.....

Sorry, I know it's not really an 'exterior maintenance' item.....

Broli
08-15-2007, 01:51 PM
yeah i think we should just call this the maintenance section

lol

i use rainX

i find it works great

3GFX
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Rain-X is actually a great addition to any car. A great safety feature, rain beads off so cleanly you don't even need your wipers.

WLS ZMZM
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I use it as well.. the first little while is a pain as it smeers all over the window when you use your wipers but it does work very well the water beads very well when "racing" on the 407 :chuckle

Skarbro
08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I use it on all windows in the car.

WLS ZMZM
08-15-2007, 02:25 PM
the best time to use it... is during the winter!! this way the ice really doesn't stick to the window it just slides off!! when you push or pull on it!

3GFX
08-15-2007, 02:43 PM
I use it on all windows in the car.

Unless you keep sneezing I don't see how Rain-X would help in the car.:chuckle

mit-gee-mui
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Here is something for you to read:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15319&highlight=rainx

Caz
08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Unless you keep sneezing I don't see how Rain-X would help in the car.:chuckle

They make an interior one for anti-fog. I am not sure if it is safe with tints.

MattC
08-15-2007, 02:58 PM
rainx is my fav mod, after the navi.

Fuman
08-15-2007, 03:09 PM
agree with 3gfx.. great safety feature especially for highway driving. I can pass trucks without worrying visibility

MattC
08-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I got splashed on one of those super rainy days on the highway, and it was a literal tidal wave of water, and the only thing that didnt have water/distortion on it was my windshield cause of rain-x.

SwooshICE
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
They make an interior one for anti-fog. I am not sure if it is safe with tints.

I use them with my tints. works fine
but just like rainx its hard to wipe clear lol

stupid haze grrr!

plontoc
08-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Not sure if anyone reads bottles anymore, but to help get rid of the smearing during application, put a few drops of water on your windshield and wipe with a clean cloth. Works like a charm everytime.

Yes, I love Rain-X...haha

SonicBoy
08-16-2007, 08:15 AM
The haze when using the wiper blades appears to only be if you have coated blades like the Teflon ones. In the Winter, the water does not bead as much. Using the Rain-X windshield washer helps to keep it working well in the winter.

I remember adding (Rain-x Washer) to a car that did not have rain-x on the windshield and it made a noticeable difference.

Great product and they swear by it in Florida where I first learned about this back in the 80's.

azn_outlaw
08-16-2007, 08:42 AM
Or another product like RainX except it last longer and provides the same protection is:

Aquapel windshield treatment

you can find it on ebay.ca or tirerack.com

MAZDA Kitten
08-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Didnt the manual say not to use rain x with rain sensing wipers
Well with my new windshield I started using rain x.

theurgy
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
I like Aquapel as well.. I usually apply it in the spring.
I'll clean the windshield thoroughly using Stoner's Invisible Glass cleaner.
Then I'll clay it to get the small stuff and then apply the Aquapel.
Will last me the whole summer and a good part of the winter.

justin
08-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Use it, love it. Windshield, all glass, headlights, tail lights, even the side mirrors.

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Fang is going to make fun of me? :D

Centropolis
08-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Didnt the manual say not to use rain x with rain sensing wipers
Well with my new windshield I started using rain x.

Yes you're right. It's section 5-50 in my manual. But the rain sensor is on the windshield and not on the wipers so you didn't need the new wipers in order to start using Rain-X. :)

"If the windshield is coated with water repellent, the rain sensor may not be able to sense the amount of rainfall correctly and auto-wiper control may not operate properly."

Anyone has problems with this? I guess then just don't use AUTO then.....

theurgy
08-17-2007, 10:09 AM
That or put a little piece of tape over the part where the sensor is....then apply the Rain-X and then take off the tape.
Problem solved.

SonicBoy
08-18-2007, 07:40 AM
No problems with Rain-X and sensor. The notion for that warning in the manual was that the rain would beed more than normal causing the wipers to activate.

To compensate, adjust the sensitivity of your auto wipers if your wipers come on too frequently. Personally I've never had a problem.

Putting a piece of tape over the section while applying rain-x will not help as the water will be coming up the windshield as you drive.

Skarbro
08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I didn't know about that exerpt in the manual. I've put tons of Rain-X over the sensor with no problems at all.

But to be honest, I only use the Auto setting when it's raining hard. When it's light-average rain, I just let the rain slide off by itself. Rain-X rules.

3GFX
08-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Never had an issue with Rain-X over the sensor, and I use the sensor on lowest sensitivity. Work great, love it!

aris
10-30-2009, 12:34 AM
I just put rain-x for the first time..hopefully it works..i am looking forward to the rain now to see how well this stuff works:chuckle

Google
11-12-2009, 02:18 AM
I dont like Rain-X. I use WYNN’S RAIN AWAY but I can't find it any more at Crappy Tire.

theurgy
11-12-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm using Aquapel about once every 6 months, and for other people's cars (unless they pay me for the Aquapel), I use Wynn Shield which they gave me 2 bottles one time when the Wynn reps showed up to one of our meets.

Works really well and I figure I got it for free.. so why use Rain-X at this point?

Reegs
11-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I dont like Rain-X. I use WYNN’S RAIN AWAY but I can't find it any more at Crappy Tire.

Agreed. What does everyone think of the Rain X De-Icer (Washer Fluid)?

I have the WYNN's on my winshield. Works great. Going to re-apply it before winter, but I am considering using the Rain X washer fluid as well.

Any thoughts?

Google
12-04-2009, 01:32 AM
I havent used Rain X since I (believe) it may be a waste of money since we already use Rain Away. BTW, my local Wal-mart now carries Rain Away :)

Google
12-04-2009, 01:33 AM
I havent used Rain X since I (believe) it may be a waste of money since we already use Rain Away. BTW, my local Wal-mart now carries Rain Away :)

No edit....grrr. I meant, using the Rain X windshield washer fluid would be a waste. If anything, maybe buy the spray bottle of Rain X de-icer instead.

alho
01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Just a stupid question.. but does the washer fluid damage the car in any way, ex: engine components, paint etc.... it seems impossible to not spill at least a bit when fill the reservoir... just need a peace of mind :P

Donutz
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
click (http://www.google.ca/)

nitsuji
01-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Just a stupid question.. but does the washer fluid damage the car in any way, ex: engine components, paint etc.... it seems impossible to not spill at least a bit when fill the reservoir... just need a peace of mind :P

Use a funnel next time. :)

urbanjoe
01-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I use rain-X on my windshield and also use wipers and they work great!

Google
01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I have to change my mind now. I bought a new bottle of Rain Away and it's not that good. I thought it was because I didn't put enough on. Just yesterday, I tried again and the same thing occurred. I then used my sister's a 10+ year Rain-X (added it as as third coat and there was significant rain beads on my windshield, unlike with Rain Away.

Eddie81
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Just to add i have tryed last summer Ran-X wax polish and its amazing as well same thing happens as on windshield.

vcp
03-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Use it and LOVE it!

jimmybman
03-07-2010, 11:24 AM
I've been using that stuff for years already, works great for me.

Rob23
03-07-2010, 11:52 AM
i tried that stuff before and i found it to be really cheap compared to other brands. and i found in the winter even with the anti freeze it still freezes over. i didn't like it.

project_axela
03-15-2010, 10:51 PM
Use it all the time and LOVE it! It makes your wipers way more quiet...lol

Zomboomafu
03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
I have it on my car in my windows in and out. Exterior for the rain and snow and interior for the anti-fog (they're 2 different bottles). IMO all windows should be coated with something like these by the car manufacturers.

m3zoomzoom
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Use it all the time and LOVE it! It makes your wipers way more quiet...lol

it sure does! and u barely ever need to use your wipers as long as you're driving fast enough :)

bunchi
03-25-2010, 02:35 PM
love them... just lazy to apply a new coat to my windshield lately :chuckle

question though... i also have the rain-x antifog for the inside of the windows... is it safe to apply on tints?

DM3
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
best thing ever dont even need to put the wipers on when it rains hard... and i invested in the company lol.. they are owend by shell

distr0
04-16-2010, 06:12 PM
best thing ever dont even need to put the wipers on when it rains hard... and i invested in the company lol.. they are owend by shell

Didn't know that.. maybe that's why the shell gas stations that have an automated car wash have the rainx "station" at the end of the wash.

coriolis
04-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Been using Aquapel since February, works great. It's more expensive at the start(each 'tube' is about $8-$10), but it lasts 6~ months at full capabilities, then it starts to wear out slowly. It'll last a good 8-10 months before its at 40% effective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbGBal94kAs

Souls
05-03-2010, 04:36 AM
I've been using it for about 5yrs... works great every time. never smears, and when it does, it's time to reapply, which for me was 3-4mths, more in winter.

essaarcee
07-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Got a can of the Rainx and want to top the washer fluid. But I still have the washer fluid which came in with the car. Is it ok to top that up with Rain-x? I hope the mix of the old one with Rain-x should not be an issue!!!!

If it causes issue, do i need to flush the old one somehow or just wait till it finishes!!!

SonicBoy
07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
There is no issue mixing reguler with Rain-X

geobur
11-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Does anyone use the Rain X windshield Cleaner in the spray bottle?? does it work better if you already have a coar of Rain X on your windshield?

asyed
11-26-2012, 10:06 PM
I believe my car came with a RainX coating that was not properly applied....result was horrible... their wiper blades are also crap

ended up replacing with Ultimate X wipers from walmart... they have a built in coating that spreads when you wipe the windscreen....so far no problems except for the obvious minor haze spots from the coating that shows for 3 seconds during a dry wipe.....( was told to run wipers at full for 10 min in dry conditions).... expecting it to dissapear after it rains....

Rob23
11-28-2012, 09:19 AM
I believe my car came with a RainX coating that was not properly applied....result was horrible... their wiper blades are also crap

I've had Rain - X blades for over a year and they work amazing. also i bought and installed them for my dad and to this day he says how great they are. are you sure you installed them correctly?

also i use the rain-x glass treatment all the time and it works great. dunno how you mess that up you wipe it on wait 5 minutes and wipe it off?

Egyptshun
12-04-2013, 09:16 PM
rain-x is amazing

morganc
12-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Blades are great and I use the Rainx washer, too. Ya, it leaves a little bit of white residue on the A-pillar, but nothing a microfiber cloth can't solve every 2 weeks. Well worth the benefits.

thefish
12-08-2013, 08:00 PM
Based on this thread I've decided to go ahead and buy some of this stuff.

Jackal
12-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Darn. Picked up 2 last week. May just pick up a couple more this week.

r4mi5awi
12-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Anybody ever try Aquapel? I haven't tried rain-x as of yet, maybe one day when I'm browsing around CT or need it in a hurry. For those who've tried both, please chime in!

Jackal
12-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Anybody ever try Aquapel? I haven't tried rain-x as of yet, maybe one day when I'm browsing around CT or need it in a hurry. For those who've tried both, please chime in!

I've tried and wasn't crazy about it. Left streaks when I applied it.

I recommend flyby30 if you really want the good stuff.
http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/carpro-flyby30-kit-p-1787.html

MREUS_SPD3
12-09-2013, 01:24 AM
I've tried and wasn't crazy about it. Left streaks when I applied it.

I recommend flyby30 if you really want the good stuff.
http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/carpro-flyby30-kit-p-1787.html
Rain-x is amazing stuff! Lasts very long when applied correctly.
As for the streaking problem, make sure toreador the instructions. After applying you need to let it sit for 10 mins and it will haze... That's normal, ten you just buff with a clean dry towel... Works great for me and the little bottle lasts forever!

Jackal
12-09-2013, 02:29 AM
Rain-x is amazing stuff! Lasts very long when applied correctly.
As for the streaking problem, make sure toreador the instructions. After applying you need to let it sit for 10 mins and it will haze... That's normal, ten you just buff with a clean dry towel... Works great for me and the little bottle lasts forever!

I was referring to Aquapel. ;) I am sure there are some out there that like it.