PDA

View Full Version : Interior Trim Differences for '07

NightKids888
08-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

I just test drove the Mazda3 Sedan GT, with my friend who has an '04 GT Sedan, and he noticed the interior trims were different as in cheapened. For example, instead of the cf-like panel trim, it had just silver plastic. and the big center panel for the audio and ac controls was also titanium grey. the spaces on top of the gauges and glove box (where people usually put their tiny little toys or sunglasses on a mat) were of a cheaper material. as well as the glove box lock is black instead of silver, the gear shift knob is not leather, the door panel is of a different material as well.

Then I look on the website and it says the GT has cf panel trim, leather shift knob, etc., right on the customizing pages. And then the pictures and virtual tours on the website also showing the 'cheaper' version. So I'm wondering if maybe the dealer's demo car isn't what they really sell as a GT?

So I'd like to know who has those small trim details in their car and which year/model/trim/color.

Thanks!

Elder_MMHS
08-27-2007, 06:11 AM
'04 - '06 had a faux carbon fibre decoration panel which honestly didn't look too hot. It's not something I'd personally miss. As for the colour changes (mainly pieces silver instead of charcoal/black), that's just part of their refresh theme. Some like it, some don't. It does brighten up the interior a bit though, as a nice compromise instead of getting a car with the beige interior or having your sunroof privacy screen always open.

I'd hardly call any of those changes 'cheaper,' though they are different. I can't comment on the material quality as really, the '04-06 didn't have too great pieces to begin with. I made a scratch on my glove box within days of owning the car (grrr) due to a zipper on my backpack that I threw onto the passenger side. The pieces get scuffed easily. *shrug* ... it happens, something's got to give in a value compact.

I can only think of one specific instance of "cheapening" ... the recirculation/fresh button on '04-06 has two LEDs (one green, one orange) that select depending on the mode. The '07+ one has a single LED (forgot the colour) that toggles depending on the mode. I'm sure you didn't notice. :)

That said, right off the bat, the '07 GT has standard side curtain airbags, auxiliary audio input and 12V adapter in the glove box. Those are hardly "cheaper" interior features, as they are not available from factory on the '04-06. Aftermarket auxiliary input is usually a good $50 - 100 if not more. And you can't even get those side curtain airbags in the non-refreshed model.

Skarbro
08-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Ugh I hated my fake CF trim piece. Got the fake brushed silver piece from '07 instead. Fake CF = the devil.

NightKids888
08-27-2007, 09:01 AM
yeah, i guess you're right, i'd rather have the built-in electronics features like the trip computer/ambient temp/fuel compsumption and aux in, than the replaceable plastics. I do like the stitched fabric on the door panels instead of the synthetic-something black. And yeah my friend also complains about how easily things get scratched. especially his glove box area too, his gf rests her feet there lol

Jeff-TheBiz
08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Ugh I hated my fake CF trim piece. Got the fake brushed silver piece from '07 instead. Fake CF = the devil.

+1 Painted mine to match the colour of the car.

especially his glove box area too, his gf rests her feet there lol

+100

I HATE THAT! :complain

b3GS
08-27-2007, 10:26 AM
^ I hate that too.. feet don't belong on the ^%$%^& dash!!

why do girls do that?

Cardinal Fang
08-27-2007, 10:54 AM
And yeah my friend also complains about how easily things get scratched. especially his glove box area too, his gf rests her feet there lol

OH MY GOD!

Was is it with women and using the front dashboard as an ottoman! My wife pisses me off when she does that.

+1 on getting rid of the Faux Carbon Fibre dash strip. As many others did I painted mine out, along with the switch plates on the doors, to match my car colour. Now it looks nice.

3GFX
08-27-2007, 11:54 AM
SheGFX has gotten an earful. She doesn't put them on the dash, (I'd kill her) but she sits 'indian' on the seat (I hate that) and she hold her shoes on the raised part under the seat, which wears the carpet.

What? The floor mat isn't big enough? :p

yearoftherat
08-27-2007, 01:18 PM

I'd love to get my hands on silver trim in the 07's aka: steering wheel controls, door switches, etc. anyone one with a 07 wanna swap? :chuckle

Feet on the dash and wtf is with them hanging feet out the window too?

NightKids888
08-27-2007, 02:10 PM
I'd love to get my hands on silver trim in the 07's aka: steering wheel controls, door switches, etc. anyone one with a 07 wanna swap? :chuckle

I might be looking at one of those aluminum dash kits :D, maybe then you can have my stock ones hehe.. but that won't be for a while..

Feet on the dash and wtf is with them hanging feet out the window too?

Try this: Make a sharp left at an intersetion while braking hard. See what happens. kekekeke...

MattC
08-28-2007, 04:42 PM
i have a 07 GT and I now have the "fake CF" trim everyone seems to hate, i like it more than my silver one, so i traded with YOTR.

my 07 now no longer has silver trim, its all blacked out.

yearoftherat
08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I got my silver trim!!!!

The O7's had the silver trim on the door as well as the steering wheel. MattC interior looks much better with the blackout theme.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0306.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0307.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0305.jpg

The 06's originally came with black trim but now I like it with the silver theme going:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0309.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0310.jpg
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/cjlee9/Miscellanous/IMG_0308.jpg

Thanks to MattC for helping me install my MS CAI and making an afternoon of mods for both of our cars. Free mods ftw!!

NightKids888
08-28-2007, 05:25 PM
wow.. thanks for the pics YOTR..
are all those from an '07 stock?
like steering wheel, door buttons panel, glove box lock, etc

if so, i won't be complaining when i get mine :D
actually i'm getting '08

yearoftherat
08-28-2007, 05:33 PM
The steering wheel silver trim as well as the door and trim above the glove comartment. The glove lock trim on the 07's are black, the 06's came with the silver trim.

MattC
08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Im almost a member of BOD my car is so blacked out now. :chuckle

cwp_sedan
08-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Im almost a member of BOD my car is so blacked out now. :chuckle

Yeah...now just to get rid of the small bit of blue on the outside :chuckle

Dragazn
08-29-2007, 04:41 PM
My girlfriend puts her feet on the dash too.

Except she likes to touch the windshield with her toes and I don't know about it until the weather is a bit humid and I'm like WTF WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!??!?!

I hate wiping the inner windshield. so tiring on the arms.

06GT
03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
i've got the 06' mazda3 gt sedan. it has the fake cf trim and i like it. the exterior is the carbong grey mica, so i think it goes pretty good. i have no complaints. i rather enjoy my interior colours. but it's like the saying, to each their own. mind you, i also haven't seen too many different trim colours to base any opinion i guess. but i do lke mine...