PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think there engine has a belt squeal?

spyder
08-28-2007, 04:09 AM
I tell ya folks I am on a roll with complaints. But this is more of a "hey I figured out what that noise came from" kinda thing. Even before I changed to a new exhaust I was noticing that after driving on the highway and then dealing with stop and go traffic I would hear what appeared to be a belt squeal from the from my car. I could not figure out it's exact location but it sounded like it was from the front of the car and only chirped or squealed going slowly in first gear with my foot off the throttle or creaping up an incline. I have told my dealership about it and I reproduced the noise and the service adviser said that would be hard to find and it is not an issue to worry about (don't get me started). Never the less I wasn't satisfied with that.

So what I found was that since I got my new Mazdaspeed exhaust for my MS3 I noticed the chrome tip was dirty do to the tech's greasey hands so after I drove the car home I decided to clean the tip and wouldn't you know it...as I wiped off the grease I heard that noise then it dawned on me! I had the same problem on a previouse car and it was an exhaust gasket.

Just to prove it was not just a one time thing over the next few days after driving on the highway I would park the car and wiggle the exhaust with my foot and I would get the exact noise again and again. Now I am not sure if it is a gasket on my MS3 but I am quite certain something related to supporting the exhaust is making that noise and the reason it is produced while driving slowly is do to the car has a mild rattle the RPM's are below about 900.

The other thing is my wife's 4 banger mazda 6 has the same noise so one day after she parked her car I wiggled her exhaust and I got the same noise so I guess this is a common issue.

If anyone has any insight on this issue or per perhaps you have the same noise any information would be greatly appreciated. I am going to bring it to the dealer this week to fix it and if I get the exact parts issue I will post it for y'all.

Cheers!

Spyder

McGuyver_3
08-29-2007, 09:43 AM
i get an exhaust rattle on my car every time i turn off the car but i am running a stock exhaust and not a ms3 but a regular 3

spyder
08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
i get an exhaust rattle on my car every time i turn off the car but i am running a stock exhaust and not a ms3 but a regular 3

It isn't a rattle, it is a very noticeable squeal becuse the engine shakes the exhaust. According to Vlad he had the same problem and it was due to the exhaust gaskets so he had them replaced.

Spyder