PDA

View Full Version : WRX Exhaust Note - Subaru-specific?

REZXPERT
08-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I know i'm gonna get razzed on this one but why does the Subaru WRX exhaust note (aftermarket Turboxs, i presume?) sound so different than anything out there?? Personally, i think it's the meanest sounding exhaust and i'd do anything to replicate that on my MS3.

I listened to a few clips on youtube (turboxs complete exhaust from downpipe to tip) and no comparison, soundwise, WRX vs MS3.

NightKids888
08-30-2007, 04:29 PM
Might have something to do with the Boxer engine?

SpeedBaby
08-30-2007, 04:51 PM
my MS3 sounds just like STI
with CPE TBE
if you want one please PM me im doing a GB on them

Gizzmo_jr
08-31-2007, 02:58 AM
Not as deep and angry but pretty damn close in my opinion.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CWRUtYgb00Y
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2cwIuIhGJ4I

SpeedBaby
08-31-2007, 04:47 AM
meh you have to see it in person its much better
take it from a person that has one and loves it =/

Garu
08-31-2007, 08:29 AM
You have to hear it in person. Once you have CPE's Full TBE installed it sounds very alike to STI.
It's very aggressive. Especially when you're in full throttle plus at low rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear.

And yes take it from a person that has one and loves it. :)

Dan Da Man
08-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Pretty sweet sound.... im jealous.

Unoriginalusername
08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
my MS3 sounds just like STI
with CPE TBE
if you want one please PM me im doing a GB on them

^^ They are great to deal with, a few of us have the cpe tbe now so if you want to hear it in person you could meet up with one to hear it in person. I am west mississauga

best mod money can buy for the speed currently, followed by an intake

REZXPERT
08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
thanks for the feedback. how do you guys compare CP-E to Turboxs...sound-wise, performance-wise? (cost not an issue)

Garu
08-31-2007, 03:21 PM
Well it'll be very hard compare them just watching youtube videos. In order to make fair comparison you need to experience it yourself with 2 cars, 1 with TurboXS and the other with CPE.
However, from what I gather, CPE is a superior product in every aspect. Their dynos are available on their website with full TBE.

I've also read from M3F that some people were having issues with TurboXS race pipe, which is part of their full TBE. So I don't know.

WhiteSpeed3
08-31-2007, 03:29 PM
i know 2 guys with the turbo xs race pipe and have had no prob with it yet

i should have mine in very soon :)

Unoriginalusername
08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
i know 2 guys with the turbo xs race pipe and have had no prob with it yet

i should have mine in very soon :)

Congrats, hope you don't have a few of those fitment leaks that a few of the guys on m3forums had. can't wait to hear it

EvilDeadFan
09-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Now if only it could sound like a G35! :D

mazda36
09-01-2007, 10:57 PM
listen to my father's car =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilatmSWft0
I think's mazda's turbo engine sounds pretty close to boxer rumble, but I heard Speedbaby and Vlad's car in person. It sounds even better than my father's car.

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 02:11 AM
I know i'm gonna get razzed on this one but why does the Subaru WRX exhaust note (aftermarket Turboxs, i presume?) sound so different than anything out there?? Personally, i think it's the meanest sounding exhaust and i'd do anything to replicate that on my MS3.

The primary reason is unequal length headers and to a lesser extent the boxer engine. If you listen to a WRX or WRX STi with equal length headers, much of that boxer rumble is gone and the exhaust note takes on a more familiar raspy tone.

My STi with an aftermarket exhaust sounds nothing like the cars in those YouTube clips. It would be very difficult to reproduce the "burbble-bup-bup" sound with a MS3. That's not to say you can't make your car sound good and have a better exhaust note, but it will not sound like a WRX/STi. :bana

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 02:16 AM
listen to my father's car =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilatmSWft0
I think's mazda's turbo engine sounds pretty close to boxer rumble, but I heard Speedbaby and Vlad's car in person. It sounds even better than my father's car.

Not even close in my opinion (not my car in the link BTW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlP44UIccFU&mode=related&search=

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTImrZWN_M&mode=related&search=

SpeedBaby
09-03-2007, 02:16 AM
i think ur going to get flamed on that

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 03:18 AM
i think ur going to get flamed on that

That's sad then. It's not like I said the MS3 sounded like crap or anything. It just doesn't sound like a Subie. I'm not sure any inline 4 with an equal length header could...

SpeedBaby
09-03-2007, 09:43 AM
and what are you basing that on ???
do you drive MS3 ?

plus when CPE made there TBE they where going for STI sound and they got it :)

WhiteSpeed3
09-03-2007, 10:17 AM
it will never sound like an sti and i personaly think that the cpe's tbe doesnt sound like it either it sound nice but not an sti the motors are set up way to differently

if u want ill see if my friend with a sti will come to a meet so we can compare

Unoriginalusername
09-03-2007, 05:57 PM
Not even close in my opinion (not my car in the link BTW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlP44UIccFU&mode=related&search=

and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTImrZWN_M&mode=related&search=

Neither of those are stock sti's... the cpe tbe sounds much like a stock sti does. i have driven several sti's and i own a mazdaspeed 3 with a cpe tbe so unless you own either i really don't think an opinion based on youtube clips matters :bang

MPS
09-03-2007, 06:39 PM
+1000000000000000

S.F.W.
09-03-2007, 06:41 PM
+1000000000000000
well, well, well. Look who's back.

MPS
09-03-2007, 06:42 PM
yaa where is ur part of the deal
:)

Garu
09-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Aren't you supposed to be exiled or something? :chuckle

MPS
09-03-2007, 06:51 PM
yaaa some crap like that
ill just post whore for fun

Unoriginalusername
09-03-2007, 06:53 PM
yaaa some crap like that
ill just post whore for fun

welcome back

MPS
09-03-2007, 07:11 PM
why Thank You !!!

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
i have driven several sti's and i own a mazdaspeed 3 with a cpe tbe so unless you own either i really don't think an opinion based on youtube clips matters :bang

First off, I'm glad you've driven one but...

My STi with an aftermarket exhaust sounds nothing like the cars in those YouTube clips.

So yeah, I think I'm more than qualified to know what an STi sounds like. :loco :chuckle

Neither of those are stock sti's... the cpe tbe sounds much like a stock sti does.

Actually, the first video is a stock STi. You must have missed the "stock downpipe and catback" in the first few seconds of the video. :chuckle That is the stock unit. The 2nd part of the first video shows the MadDad exhaust. An MS3 with a CBE sounds nothing like a stock or modded STi.

Also, the original poster asked:

why does the Subaru WRX exhaust note (aftermarket Turboxs, i presume?)

So clearly it doesn't have to be "stock" (even though the first video is.) The two videos of the MS3s w/CBE sound very little like an STi. I would know as I've lived with one for 4 years.

Not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch. The OP asked why the WRX/STis sound the way they do. I answered that. Unless you swap a boxer and u/l headers into your MS3, you aren't going to have the boxer sound. Once again, that's not to say you can't have a great sounding exhaust but it will not sound like an STi.

Try unbolting your CBE and see if it sounds like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3DlEk40UvQ

The MS3 is never going to have that sound. The engine layout and exhaust are just too different. No big deal really, not sure why it bothers you so much.

Unoriginalusername
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM

So yeah, I think I'm more than qualified to know what an STi sounds like. :loco :chuckle

Actually, the first video is a stock STi. You must have missed the "stock downpipe and catback" in the first few seconds of the video. :chuckle That is the stock unit. The 2nd part of the first video shows the MadDad exhaust. An MS3 with a CBE sounds nothing like a stock or modded STi.

So clearly it doesn't have to be "stock" (even though the first video is.) The two videos of the MS3s w/CBE sound very little like an STi. I would know as I've lived with one for 4 years.

Not sure why you're getting your panties in a bunch. The OP asked why the WRX/STis sound the way they do. I answered that. Unless you swap a boxer and u/l headers into your MS3, you aren't going to have the boxer sound. Once again, that's not to say you can't have a great sounding exhaust but it will not sound like an STi.

The MS3 is never going to have that sound. The engine layout and exhaust are just too different. No big deal really, not sure why it bothers you so much.

double post, please delete me

Unoriginalusername
09-03-2007, 09:35 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIz0mjWg9A

Fair enough, then it sounds more like the s204 sti which has equal length headers :chuckle Doesn't bother me at all, i just happen to think it sounds more like a rex then it does anything else... that is not the same as saying it is so identical that you couldn't tell if one drove by with your eyes closed and had to guess.

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbIz0mjWg9A

Fair enough, then it sounds more like the s204 sti which has equal length headers :chuckle Doesn't bother me at all, i just happen to think it sounds more like a rex then it does anything else... that is not the same as saying it is so identical that you couldn't tell if one drove by with your eyes closed and had to guess.

Fair enough. :)

As a funny segue, it looks like the new 08 WRX hatch body is nearly a direct clone of the MS3 anyhow, so those looking to STi-yle their car might just need a hood scoop :chuckle. (I actually like the hatch styling...so that's not an insult.)

WhiteSpeed3
09-03-2007, 10:35 PM
my friend just picked up the wrx sedan and it is really nice

on the other hand the hatch gets a BIG thumbs down

tippedoff
09-03-2007, 11:21 PM
my friend just picked up the wrx sedan and it is really nice

on the other hand the hatch gets a BIG thumbs down

Really? I'm the other way around. I can't stand the sedan as it reminds me of a Corolla. The hatch at least looks decent and apparently weighs a little less than the sedan.

Why don't you like the hatch?

Garu
09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Ah who cares. I love my MS3 with CPE TBE.
It's awesome, sounds awesome, the power is awesome. (Except for the issue I'm having...)

By the way, guys with TBE have you noticed the sound has quite settled down from the day 1? It went lot softer now.

Unoriginalusername
09-04-2007, 10:17 AM
It's awesome, sounds awesome, the power is awesome. (Except for the issue I'm having...)

By the way, guys with TBE have you noticed the sound has quite settled down from the day 1? It went lot softer now.

that or either we've gotten more used to it... but it does seem a little less rowdy

tippedoff
09-04-2007, 12:36 PM

It's possible that the insulating material in the muffler could be settling in or the expansion and contraction of the muffler has slightly altered the resonance chamber slightly, hence the slightly subdued/changed sound.

SW20 MR2
10-05-2007, 07:30 PM
I can't stand the way that Subaru's sound. Sounds like a sewing machine.

fitalicious
11-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Now if only it could sound like a G35! :D

put on a g35 exhaust or a 350z exhaust

Unoriginalusername
11-15-2007, 07:35 AM
put on a g35 exhaust or a 350z exhaust

you can't get an na v6 sound out of a turbo 4