PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions requested for more power

colinjw
08-31-2007, 10:31 AM
I am new to Mazdas. I am looking at a 2006 Mazda3 with a 2.3 engine with
automatic and about 30,000 k. I love the way it handles and the power is not too bad.
However I would like to have some more H.P.
I like to know I can pass a truck on the highway if I get cut off.
Any suggestions as to how to add some more power without getting into any too expensive or exotic.
BTW. I am older now & not looking for a loud exhaust or anything way out.
Hopefully something that does not even show.

Suggestions ??

Cardinal Fang
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the board. Have a look around the different sections of the board you will find alot of information that will interest you. There are many discussion about just what you've mentioned.

midnightfxgt
08-31-2007, 10:43 AM
If your looking for power mods your best bet is Intake, Header and Exhaust. Problem is, all of those will increase how your car sounds. There is no way around it.

Kevin@nextmod
08-31-2007, 10:55 AM
Another way is to find another car that comes fast stock.....

Sean80
08-31-2007, 05:29 PM
get a manual instead of slow-matic :p

EvilDeadFan
09-02-2007, 09:16 AM
You KNOW you want to turbo. ;)
Or a handy upgrade to a manual car.. a mazdaspeed manual car... ;)

WeatherB
09-02-2007, 09:43 AM
I doubt anything cheap would give you the power you are looking for.

A turbo definitely would give you the power, but would also cost you around $5000. You might also have some problems with your automatic transmission not handling the power.

Now that the Mazdaspeed rates have kit rockbottom, the car should be very affordable.

Seliina
09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
I am new to Mazdas. I am looking at a 2006 Mazda3 with a 2.3 engine with
automatic and about 30,000 k. I love the way it handles and the power is not too bad.
However I would like to have some more H.P.
I like to know I can pass a truck on the highway if I get cut off.
Any suggestions as to how to add some more power without getting into any too expensive or exotic.
BTW. I am older now & not looking for a loud exhaust or anything way out.
Hopefully something that does not even show.

Suggestions ??

Be assured that you will be able to easily pass a truck on the highway if you get cut off - even with the automatic. Although it should have the 'Triptronic' if it's a 2.3 so you can control the shifting to a certain extent- or is it only the Mazda3 Sports that have that feature?

MattC
09-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Intake would really make the car seem "zippier" and give you more noticeable high end horsepower than stock.

it makes the car abit louder, but only when accelerating.

Garu
09-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Yea I think the first option would be CAI. But you will have the noise of air sucked in. :chuckle

WeatherB
09-02-2007, 11:00 AM
Yea I think the first option would be CAI. But you will have the noise of air sucked in. :chuckle

And it really sucks. hehe

Depending on the intake you get, it can give you as much as 7HP more. But that still won't be enough for what you want. Noise wise, you will notice an increase only when you drive hard, there is very little change for regular driving.

EvilDeadFan
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Those rates really kill me.. I have a Sport GT 06.. and can get the ford family discount on em. plus killer financing. The mazdaspeed is calling to me. Damn. :)

doughboyr6
09-04-2007, 11:38 PM
i too want more power but without the noise....the only logical thing left i think is a tuning system....but that costs $1500 and a crap load of tuning time required and someone skilled....

lamerking
09-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Would you gain more HP if the auto transmission had the manual mode?

Fuman
09-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Would you gain more HP if the auto transmission had the manual mode? no. not on our cars. since our cars are auto. in essence we force the ecu to shift when we want to in manual mode.