PDA

View Full Version : for those of u with a Vibrant header....

dentinger
09-12-2007, 10:01 PM
where does the second O2 sensor go??

i just bought the headers used off of Boris, and i know that the first O2 sensor goes in the header, but where does the second O2 sensor go??

like, i know one sensor has to go before the cat, and one after it, so do i just have to have a Bung welded in after the cat or....?
cuz i talked to an exhaust shop today, and he said thats wat they'd do, but only if the O2 wires are long enough....

any suggestions???

pahecko
09-13-2007, 06:09 AM
Well the header comes with a relocation kit so the wiring is long enough. and it's long enough. Unless your the cat on your exhaust is like way back for some reason.

It's for the secondary sensor that goes after the pre-cat in the header, since you won't have a pre-cat it puts it behind the primary cat so your ecu doesn't bitch : )

You don't need it as the ecu doesn't actually adjust anything based on that sensor.

dentinger
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
ok, i bought my header used, so i dont think i have the 'relocation kit'
i just have to two pieces. the header (with a spot for the first O2 sensor) and the second part of the header, that includes the flex pipe.

so am i missing something here??

but i guess if the wires are long enough, it doesnt really matter, cuz i can have a O2 bung welded in for ~$20

dentinger
09-13-2007, 09:03 AM
and one more question for those of u who have bought or installed these headers....

when you first bought them, and opened the box, wat did they come with?
cuz i think im missing the exhaust gasket, and possibly even the O2 relocation kit....

so if i am missing them, i guess i would have to order them from vibrant.....

WeatherB
09-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Can you use an "anti-fouler" on the first O2 sensor instead? This will allow you to keep the sensors in the original locations.

I have no clue what an anti-fouler is, but I think it is some kind of compound/paint you put on the sensor to change the results.

dentinger
09-13-2007, 11:57 AM
i think i have it all figured out now...

the first O2 sensor goes in the header.
the second one goes after the second cat.

so i have to extend the wiring on the second sensor.

bubba1983
09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
late reply to your pm, just replied now, my bad!

dentinger
09-13-2007, 03:32 PM
yupp, just got it.

i bought some 18 and 20 gauge wire to extend the O2 sensor wires with. so i will just leave a bunch of slack. then once the header is installed, i can just bring it to Budget Exhaust, where they said they would weld in an O2 bung for me for ~$20.
then back to school the next day to clear any CEL's, if i get any

bubba1983
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
im almost positive you probably will get a cel. ive had one off and on now for a loooooooooooooooooong time...1.5-2 years?

Boris
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
and one more question for those of u who have bought or installed these headers....

when you first bought them, and opened the box, wat did they come with?
cuz i think im missing the exhaust gasket, and possibly even the O2 relocation kit....

so if i am missing them, i guess i would have to order them from vibrant.....

Just want to clear something up. From what i remember Vibrant didn't have the relocation kit when they first had the header out. And I bought the older version that doesn't come with the relocation kit. It is not like i dont give it to u.

dentinger
09-13-2007, 09:05 PM
ah ok.
cuz i noticed on some pics, the Vibrant sticked on the header was on the one downtube on the one, and on the flange on the other.

so i guess i'll just keep my fingers crossed, and i wont get any CEL's...
ive been lucky with my CAI so far...

stevenlung
10-13-2007, 08:23 PM
so where should the 2nd sensor go? I just got my vibrant header on, and yes, i had an engine light on too, because the shop didn't have enough time to put on the 2nd o2 sensor for me, so I have to do it next week, the shop recommend me to put on the 2nd sensor at the end of the header flex pipe, but he said it might throw an engine light too, so now where should it goes without getting a CEL or engine light?

Please help or give some suggestions guys, coz it CANNOT go back once it drills a hole on my vibrant header or vibrant CBE if the engine light still on

Boris
10-13-2007, 08:43 PM
did u try calling vibrant????

MajesticBlueNTO
10-13-2007, 09:26 PM
so where should the 2nd sensor go? I just got my vibrant header on, and yes, i had an engine light on too, because the shop didn't have enough time to put on the 2nd o2 sensor for me, so I have to do it next week, the shop recommend me to put on the 2nd sensor at the end of the header flex pipe, but he said it might throw an engine light too, so now where should it goes without getting a CEL or engine light?

Please help or give some suggestions guys, coz it CANNOT go back once it drills a hole on my vibrant header or vibrant CBE if the engine light still on

the 2nd o2 sensor goes after the 2nd catalytic converter (the cat in the exhaust).

either that or get anti-foulers but after the cat is the only way to get rid of the CEL. you'll have to extend the wires, which is the o2 sensor relocation kit that is supposed to come with the header.

bubba1983
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
^^ which i have discussed, but i still get a CEL every now and then with teh 2nd 02 after the 2nd cat

dentinger
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
ok guys, i know i said i was going to get a drive clean done with the header. but i still havent had a chance to yet.

BUT! there is a problem. my resonator baffle has come loose. so! i have 3 options here.
1) ship the resonator back to magnaflow. there are some problems tho.
magnaflow is in CA. and they need to see the whole catback for warranty stuff. so that would mean going back to stock for a good while. also, i would have to pay for a deinstallation of my magnaflow catback, and an installation of my stock catback (~$120). the finally, when it gets back from warranty, decades later, i'll have to pay everything again. so $240 to warranty a resonator.
2) just replace the resonator and screw the warranty.
3) screw the whole magnaflow catback, and get a vibrant catback.
with the money i'd have to spend getting the resonator warranty'd, id be about halfway to a vibrant cat back, AND that catback comes with a highflow cat, and i'd like to keep my exhaust all Vibrant.
so i figure i'll wait until the rattle is too much to handle, buy a Vibrant catback, install that, THEN ship out my magnaflow for warranty work. then sell it when it gets back. all in all, i think i could sell my magnaflow for, iunno, $350. so any extra $250, and i have a new catback, along with a highflow cat!

stevenlung
10-13-2007, 10:49 PM
actually i got the antifouler too, but the shop just got no time to put it on because we didn't expect it needed so much fuxking time to put on the header and the front sway bar, btw the antifouler is just a sparkplug adapter (part number - 7302442, got it from NAPA auto parts), i really don't know how this could avoid the engine light, so you guys mean there's no solution for this, even relocate 2nd o2 sensor belind the 2nd highflow cat of my vibrant CBE with antifouler trick? Street Performance Jimmy and Richard said to put the 2nd sensor at the end of the header's flex pipe, so it's easier for me when i need to sell it instead of putting a stupid hole on my vibrant CBE (who da *** wants it if there's a hole in it), but Jimmy also said it might give the engine light too, but i think if it works....how come vibrant didn't just make a hole over there instead of providing the relocation kit, so actually no one could give a sure answer at that time, now it's totally screwed, bcoz they said without the 2nd sensor, the computer gets the wrong reading/no reading from the 2nd sensor, so actually it will affect the fuel mileage (use more gas), also it gives a bad smell from the exhaust too, sometimes i could smell it inside the car, i think i could live with the smell and the mileage but the engine light, coz i'm not sure it'll be bad for the car or not

stevenlung
10-13-2007, 11:40 PM
MIL Eliminators
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004/12/Xhale/index.php

know where to find it???

WeatherB
10-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Once others confirm that that trick works on the Mazda3, you can create you own. Seems like it is just a capacitor and a resistor (click on make your own).

dentinger
10-14-2007, 06:36 AM
ive had my header for about a month now. and i havent had a CEL since my O2 sensor was installed.
i had mine put in right after the second cat.

WeatherB
10-14-2007, 11:15 AM
ive had my header for about a month now. and i havent had a CEL since my O2 sensor was installed.
i had mine put in right after the second cat.

Do you have a regular cat or a highflow?

Might not work for Steven given that he has a highflow, so the sensors might not pick up enough of a difference and still throw a CEL.

WeatherB
10-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Once others confirm that that trick works on the Mazda3, you can create you own. Seems like it is just a capacitor and a resistor (click on make your own).

The Draxas manifold manual actually covers this step. Check the last two pages of the installation guide.

http://www.draxas.com/docs/mazda3headerinstallation.doc

stevenlung
10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks dudes

This thing really pulls, without it, my CAI and CBE feel useless, the whole IHE combo is meant to be together, its just a waste if without one :bana

stevenlung
10-14-2007, 08:36 PM
The Draxas manifold manual actually covers this step. Check the last two pages of the installation guide.

http://www.draxas.com/docs/mazda3headerinstallation.doc

AMAZING, thanks :hawt