PDA

View Full Version : Best oil for winter storage? reg or synth?

Unoriginalusername
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Planning to park the speed for the winter months as we haven't yet gotten rid of our beater. I have used regular oil and am coming up to another change at 10,000km.

Wondering what oil would be best for sitting in the garage parked for a long time? I'll still start it up and let it run every few weeks but not sure which would offer the best protection? Reg or synth?

nicker
09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
well from what I know from using Synthetic is once you start using it you are not suppose to switch back to regular.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone. But I was told that by several people when I had my TDI, I switched to synthetic and was told I should not go back to regular once I did. Makes sense but ???

dentinger
09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
haha, i was just in CT today, and i noticed Quaker State makes Winter oil.
i think it was 5W30, and it was a Synthetic blend. but apparently its protects and lubes the engine in colder weather.

it was in a light blue bottle, so it really stood out from the others.

b3GS
09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
I would say you'd be better off using a synthetic since it won't break down as quickly as normal oil would, being run or not.

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use some sort of oil stabilizer as well

don't forget about the gas in your tank too.. might want to make sure you have a fuel stabilizer as well.. since you won't be burning all that much during those months.

Unoriginalusername
09-13-2007, 02:52 PM
I would say you'd be better off using a synthetic since it won't break down as quickly as normal oil would, being run or not.

probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use some sort of oil stabilizer as well

don't forget about the gas in your tank too.. might want to make sure you have a fuel stabilizer as well.. since you won't be burning all that much during those months.

good idea, thanks

Flagrum_3
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't recommend any oil stabalizer, its not needed.I'd suggest you just put in some good synthetic oil which is best as it won't get thick like molasses, like regular oil will from the very cold temps (Important when you go starting it up cold).Fill the gas tank completely, but add some gas stabilizer first, make sure it has anti-freeze properties in it, pump a few extra pounds into the tires and lube all your hinges and if you have access to an ac outlet buy yourself one of those trickle chargers this will keep the battery charged and the computer from loosing any programming, then you should be good for winter-storage.

_3

b3GS
09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
^ the tires thing is a good point

actually... the best thing to do too would be to lift it up and put it on jackstands or blocks to really make sure you don't get any flat spots on the tires

midnightfxgt
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
I will throw my $0.02 in here :)

Oil - A good syn will never hurt. It has much better temperature tolerances than Dino Oil.

Tires - Bias Ply tires suffer from Flat Spots while storing, not radials, so you should be fine. the jack stands will take load off the suspension componants though :)

Syn back to Dino - Old myth thats been around for a long time. Going from Synthetic to Dino or vice versa wont have any issues.

John

cyberscorpi0
09-20-2007, 03:05 PM
This is what I do for Winter Storage:

-Synthetic Oil and Filter Change before storing.
-Full Tank Gas
-Tire Pressure Check
-Drive the car every two to three weeks around the block (Assuming no Salt or Snow on the road)

Been doing these for a few years now ;)

kid_icarus
10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Question, what's the best engine oil to use for the mazdaspeed 3 when you're not planning on winter storage?

I'm coming up to my 14-15k oil change and I want to know what is the best? I assume SAE 5W30 synthetic?? SAE 5W40?? If so what brand?

What are most of you MS3 users using? in terms of brand? Synthetic? Synthetic Blend?

It all looks the same to me so i'm totally lost..... sorry this is probably a noob question. I searched in the ms3 thread but didn't see any oil specific threads... and felt this was the only one without "reposting".

Skarbro
10-22-2007, 07:04 AM
If you are only storing it for the winter, you do not need any elaborate storage procedures. If it was a year or more, I would suggest a few things.

You won't get flat spots on the tires from storing it for a winter. Just make sure your pressure is up.

Raising it on jack stands all winter puts stress on the suspension. I don't suggest this.

You won't need to drive it every few weeks. I'm assuming you will take liability insurance off the car anyway?

Just make sure it has clean oil and change it again before you drive it in the spring.

Fuel stabilizer is ok.

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Question, what's the best engine oil to use for the mazdaspeed 3 when you're not planning on winter storage?

I'm coming up to my 14-15k oil change and I want to know what is the best? I assume SAE 5W30 synthetic?? SAE 5W40?? If so what brand?

What are most of you MS3 users using? in terms of brand? Synthetic? Synthetic Blend?

It all looks the same to me so i'm totally lost..... sorry this is probably a noob question. I searched in the ms3 thread but didn't see any oil specific threads... and felt this was the only one without "reposting".

I went with mobil one synthetic 5w30 like it says in the owerns manual

Skarbro
10-22-2007, 02:17 PM
The Speeds use 5w30? Lucky!

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2007, 02:25 PM
The Speeds use 5w30? Lucky!

yep... why is that better than 20?

Garu
10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
RTFM!!!
:chuckle

Garu
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM

I thought the numbers after W had to do with tolerance for higher temperature.
So it means 30 graded oil will burn off higher temperature (lose its vicosity) then 20.

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I thought the numbers after W had to do with tolerance for higher temperature.
So it means 30 graded oil will burn off higher temperature (lose its vicosity) then 20.

Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).

Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating.

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils.

found that but not sure it makes any more sense as to why the turbo needs a 30 vs. another grade

Skarbro
10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Better in that it's WAY easier to find in the stores.

MAZDA Kitten
10-22-2007, 03:29 PM
^^^

In CANADIAN stores
I never find Mobil1 Synthetic 5L jugs (5w20) but it seems like EVERYYYYYY brand has 5w20 if you go state side
(and 5L jugs of Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec are only $19 anyways compared to $38 what we see at Canadian Tire)

Flagrum_3
10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
^^^

In CANADIAN stores
I never find Mobil1 Synthetic 5L jugs (5w20) but it seems like EVERYYYYYY brand has 5w20 if you go state side
(and 5L jugs of Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec are only $19 anyways compared to $38 what we see at Canadian Tire)

Kitty you can find Mobil 1 5L, 5w-20 jugs at any Walmart, mind you they're $38 .The $20 savings isn't worth the effort of driving to the States, for me anyways, but wondering; Do you know how many jugs you are allowed to bring over the border at any one time?

_3

Flagrum_3
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
found that but not sure it makes any more sense as to why the turbo needs a 30 vs. another grade

I would think the 30 was chosen for better heat dissipation due to the higher temps created by the turbo, but who knows for sure, except for the engineers....its too bad car manufacturers didn't have Web sites where you could ask questions like that and get answers.

_3

Unoriginalusername
10-22-2007, 05:54 PM
I would think the 30 was chosen for better heat dissipation due to the higher temps created by the turbo, but who knows for sure, except for the engineers....its too bad car manufacturers didn't have Web sites where you could ask questions like that and get answers.

_3

dodge srt engineers are on a monthly chat, i like that appraoch.... wish more did it

PlatMS6
10-22-2007, 07:33 PM
If you are storing it and are gonna be firing it up every once in a while, I don't think synthetic would make a difference, I would however use a lighter weight oil, starting it up in the winter when its dry as gun powder is really really bad mKK, especially when the oil behaves like molases...as long as you aren't driving around for extended period of time you will be fine... just make sure its switched out come spring time.

Skarbro
10-22-2007, 10:53 PM
^^^

In CANADIAN stores
I love America.

MAZDA Kitten
10-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Kitty you can find Mobil 1 5L, 5w-20 jugs at any Walmart, mind you they're $38 .The $20 savings isn't worth the effort of driving to the States, for me anyways, but wondering; Do you know how many jugs you are allowed to bring over the border at any one time?

_3

As many as you want
There is no limit
Usually I just buy one and throw it in the back of the car and put it on a seperate bill... what? My car tends to leak oil :whoa (LOL I'm kidding knock on wood... but if they ask)

Even if I have to pay duties on 10 jugs I dont care its not as bad as people think

There are MANY MANY MANY reasons why its worth it to go across the border and shop. Wal Mart just happens to be ONE of my many stops :bana2

Flagrum_3
10-23-2007, 01:18 AM
As many as you want
There is no limit
Usually I just buy one and throw it in the back of the car and put it on a seperate bill... what? My car tends to leak oil :whoa (LOL I'm kidding knock on wood... but if they ask)

Even if I have to pay duties on 10 jugs I dont care its not as bad as people think

There are MANY MANY MANY reasons why its worth it to go across the border and shop. Wal Mart just happens to be ONE of my many stops :bana2

Well I was just thinking if you can buy 2 or 3 jugs at a time with no problems it would be well worth the effort....3 jugs is a $60 savings! ....I sure hope we get price parity soon.

_3