PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs and BOV for MS3

zoomzoom33
09-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm currently looking at changing my stock spark plugs to better ones i.e bosch platium 4s or NGK platiums. Has anyone changed or upgraded their stock spark plug? If so which brand and have you noticed a difference in performance. I'm also looking at installing a BOV. I heard that some forum members have this, and I'm wondering if this makes a difference in performance. I've shopped around and I was told I can get one installed for around $450 ( HKS unit ) I want this mainly for the sound and it would be a bonus if there is a performance gain.:bana2 This is my first turboed car, and I'm still learning about how it works.

ovillems3
09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
well i should be getting the laser iridium ngk's from cta Patrique next week or so, ill post if i notice a difference. you should not notice a performance gain out of a bpv, but im no expert

boogie
09-15-2007, 04:07 PM
You'll really only notice a gain from upgrading your BPV if the stock one is leaking.

07Speedfreak
09-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm going for a recirculating valve (bpv) not a bov. I believe the myths related to running a bov on our cars (because of the position of the maf). The recirculating one I'm getting (FORGE) maintains the boost, doesnt leak, and have great reviews from people. Makes some kind of little sound which is better than stock, but nothing to compare with a bov.

Go see my thread in the Speed3 section....There are soundclips in there.

ovillems3
09-15-2007, 04:18 PM
im also getting the forge but ive heard some complaints about the sound, some kind of metallic sound when the pressure is released. it didnt stop me from buying it though.

07Speedfreak
09-15-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyPio6xZ10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMDNdSBjn0Q&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws4zEXQnnYA&mode=related&search=

Xerox
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm currently looking at changing my stock spark plugs to better ones i.e bosch platium 4s or NGK platiums. Has anyone changed or upgraded their stock spark plug? If so which brand and have you noticed a difference in performance. I'm also looking at installing a BOV. I heard that some forum members have this, and I'm wondering if this makes a difference in performance.

My understanding about BOV:
- it's illegal for street use
- it releases the pressure/air from turbo when throttle is closed preventing the air from returning back into the turbo which may cause the turbines to slow or even stop. But doesn't the motor already have something that does this?
- it may cause your engine to run rich and eventually could foul your spark plus (so it's interesting that you ask about spark plugs & BOV at same time)
- it sounds cool (I think majority install them for this purpose as there are other methods of releasing pressure)

So if the motor already has something to release the pressure, I don't think you'll benefit from much performance gain.

Unoriginalusername
09-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I am not aware of any other working better/not causing an issue other than the forge which is the least expensive but some complain it sounds annoying. If you're going to go that route i'd recommend it based on what i've read so far.

interested in hearing about the plugs and if they make a difference

boogie
09-15-2007, 07:16 PM
hmmm...don't know if I like the sound. You can really hear the loud metallic clinking type sound in those vids.

midnightfxgt
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I run the HKS BOV and love it. Have a few buddies who run Greddy's that are liking it too ;)

Spark Plugs - NGK TR6 gapped at 0.35"