PDA

View Full Version : Mirror with Compass & Homelink

lamerking
09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Searched but could not find any questions nor solutions on the Homelink system. Also couldnt decide if the post should go in this section or trim & interior.

I plan on programming the Homelink option on my mirror to my garage door opener. Does the key have to be in the ignition to open / close the garage door? The concern I have is I park my car outside on my driveway and it somewhere were to punch my window or unlock my door they would have access to my house through my garage. I use the garage a lot and it would be great if the key had to be in the ignition for Homelink to work.

Has anyone ever programmed the Homelink option on their mirror?

b3GS
09-26-2007, 02:59 PM
how is the mirror powered?

you could just make sure the power is a 'switched' power source.. that requires the key to be on the acc. position

Skarbro
09-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Does the key have to be in the ignition to open / close the garage door?
The answer is yes. You can't operate any functions on the mirror without the key in the ignition and turned in at least the accessories-on position. The power for the mirror is tapped into a wire that only has power when the key is in and turned.

I did the same thing with my DIY Homelink-style garage door remote mod.
(http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19870)

lamerking
09-26-2007, 06:49 PM
The reason why I was asking was b/c I tried pushing the buttons when the car was off and they would still light up.

I saw your post and i believed i asked you one time about what splicing is. I didnt know when the dealers install the mirror they spliced into the same power source as what you did.

Side question, in one of your pictures where you control the brightness of the instrument panel, there is a button in the fourth section. Whats that for?

Skarbro
09-26-2007, 06:55 PM
The reason why I was asking was b/c I tried pushing the buttons when the car was off and they would still light up.

I saw your post and i believed i asked you one time about what splicing is. I didnt know when the dealers install the mirror they spliced into the same power source as what you did.

Side question, in one of your pictures where you control the brightness of the instrument panel, there is a button in the fourth section. Whats that for?
Actually, for the mod, I didn't tap into the same power wire. I tapped into the cigarette lighter. But I do in fact have the auto-dimming mirror (without Homelink) and I tapped into the wire that the instructions say to tap into - which is another power source that only is on when the key is in.

The button in the pic is the trigger for my remote mod.

McGuyver_3
09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
on your mirrors power wire i presume it is an aftermarket unit and they will be located in the drivers kick panel simply take the 12v constant wire and attach it to the 12vswitched wire that way the mirror will only power when the car is on and the garage door opener buttons will also only work in the on position good luck

lamerking
09-27-2007, 09:11 PM
on your mirrors power wire i presume it is an aftermarket unit and they will be located in the drivers kick panel simply take the 12v constant wire and attach it to the 12vswitched wire that way the mirror will only power when the car is on and the garage door opener buttons will also only work in the on position good luck

Its not an aftermarket unit, its OEM that was installed by MoT. I'll just have to program it to the garage door and try it out to see if it works or not with the key in the ignition

McGuyver_3
09-28-2007, 05:50 PM
was it put in after you ordered the car by MOT? or was it put in before you got it? either way check in the drivers kick to see if any wires have been spliced in to at all

Skarbro
09-29-2007, 01:37 AM
If you can still use the Homelink buttons while the key is out, then it isn't wired correctly.

Jeff-TheBiz
09-29-2007, 09:45 AM
If you can still use the Homelink buttons while the key is out, then it isn't wired correctly.

I will have them look at it when you are in the area, gotta check the install instructions.

lamerking
09-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Well I will try and program it today and see what happens

lamerking
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
Well I programmed it and the garage door opened BUT it opens my garage door when the keys are not in the ignition. This means that MoT wired it into the system differently.

was it put in after you ordered the car by MOT? or was it put in before you got it? either way check in the drivers kick to see if any wires have been spliced in to at all

The device was put it when I bought the car.

Skarbro
09-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Sounds like they tapped into the wrong wire for the power source.

McGuyver_3
09-29-2007, 10:31 PM
they did not install it wrong they just followed the instructions because they tell you to instal them with 1 constant wir and the other 12V switched the constant is supposed to keep the memory of the mirror but i have had both my power wires hookedup directly to the switched wire this way my garages only open when the key is in and my mirror never looses its memory. Check your drivers kick panel there should be 2 wires tapped in. Find out which ine is switched power, disconnect the constant and connect to the swiched wire then you fixed it

lamerking
09-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Check your drivers kick panel there should be 2 wires tapped in. Find out which ine is switched power, disconnect the constant and connect to the swiched wire then you fixed it

I have never done anything electronically before. Although I can go have a look, I wouldn't know which wire is which. Any idea what colour the constant and switch wires are?

Skarbro
09-30-2007, 10:22 AM
they did not install it wrong they just followed the instructions because they tell you to instal them with 1 constant wir and the other 12V switched the constant is supposed to keep the memory of the mirror but i have had both my power wires hookedup directly to the switched wire this way my garages only open when the key is in and my mirror never looses its memory. Check your drivers kick panel there should be 2 wires tapped in. Find out which ine is switched power, disconnect the constant and connect to the swiched wire then you fixed it
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me that there would be a need for constant power. They could have easily engineered the thing with only 1 power wire tapped into a switching 12V power source. That's how my more simple mirror without Homelink is designed.

lamerking
09-30-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll have to open up the panel and try and have a look at it. Would it be a wire that they cut into, tapped together, and taped back up?