PDA

View Full Version : Full body Paint job

wingnut12
09-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm really happy with the poor quality of the OEM paint in that the front now after 2.5 years looks like it's been through a sand storm.

Has anyone here painted the whole car, and if so what were the results? I'm curious to see if a 3-4k repaint would allow me to keep the car looking good for another 4-5 years.

Cardinal Fang
09-28-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm really happy with the poor quality of the OEM paint in that the front now after 2.5 years looks like it's been through a sand storm.

It's amazing how adding one word can change the entire slant of a post. :whoa

I'm really NOT happy with the poor quality of the OEM paint in that the front now after 2.5 years looks like it's been through a sand storm.

aznkid.com
09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Go to someone who can detail your car.. a nice wetsand will bring some of that shine back. Painting a 2.5yr old car is silly considering the cost of the job (to do it properly). Not only that, but the value of your car to decrease.

b3GS
09-28-2007, 02:03 PM
stop driving through sandstorms

:chuckle

fini
09-28-2007, 02:06 PM
My brother painted his civic's entire body with not so good results in certain areas. The paint has a hard time sticking onto plastic parts. So your bumper, mirrors, etc will be lower quality and prone to chip / peel easily. The metal skin of the body was done with no blemishes though.

nicker
09-28-2007, 02:43 PM
I agree id take it to a detailing shop and see what they can do, I think you would be surprised. Also do you really want to dump that kind of money on a paint job for such new car???

wingnut12
09-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I've been toying with the idea of keeping the same basic Blue Mica, only adding some small and medium flake for pop, and a couple of extra clear coats. Knowing that the OEM will probably look even worse down the road, I'm willing to spend the money ( in a year or so) if it means having a car that still looks good 5 years after I get it done.

I'll check into a detailer for now. It's much cheaper, and maybe I can watch and learn a thing or two.

As for the typo, I'm blaming my 4th grade english teacher.
That bastard.

nicker
09-28-2007, 02:57 PM
why dont you just get the problem areas repainted? But I guess you then run the risk of it not matching.

blue3
09-29-2007, 01:42 AM
just 2 years .. wow , did u ever wax ???

wingnut12
09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Ya, all the time. From far away, it still looks fine, but when you're up close, you can definitely tell. It looks like there are thousands of tiny stone chips ( and some big ones as well).

I just got the shitty paint day. Happens, I guess.

b
09-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Mine looks like crap up close too. I was talking to a few members about what a paint job would cost me too. However my car is 4 years old and I think it should have lasted longer with the paint job.

garboui
09-29-2007, 02:53 PM
what makes you think that getting the car re-painted is going to prevent the same fine scratches and pitting caused from road debris and washing that your car will encounter unless you stop driving it. generally oem paint is harder to chip than respray jobs because its done in a near sterileu environment and after the body has been dipped an a caustic cleaning solution it is then painted and baked on.

look at any car with at least 30k on it. they all have fine pitting and fine scratches even if its had a competent owner that washes properly and waxes regularly. highway driving does this more so because if the velocities of dust and debris hitting the paint.

your best bet is as others have mentioned. just go to a detailer and get yourself a good high speed polish with a course cutting compound if its really as bad as your making it out to be.

i could keep going on trying to convince you to not get a paint job but im going to go out and wash my car now and look at all the scratches and chips that my car has accumulated this week.

argos
09-30-2007, 07:52 PM
http://www.gtaindetail.com/

mentione TM3, maybe you'll get a discount. You will be surprised with his quality work.

b
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
^ Yes good post. I've heard amazing things about his work also!

hood
10-01-2007, 01:34 PM
just build a gaint bubble around your car :)

picus
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendations guys. :)

Ken, if you see this give me a call when you can.