PDA

View Full Version : Rattles are everywhere!

Garu
11-01-2007, 10:50 PM
With temperature dropping lately I've noticed interior rattles are getting worse!

I've fixed the center console rattle just adding the felt, the seat belt creaking with just touch of lithium grease.

But now there is rattle from passenger side, glove compartment, somewhere from back I can't figure out where and the infamous cowl tickling against the windshield.
Glove compartment and cowl tickling, I'm sure I can fix it. But the rattle from passenger side and the back of the car, I can't narrow down where exactly.

Wild Weasel
11-02-2007, 07:50 AM
I've never had an expensive car, but I know that this is fairly common with economy cars. When it gets cold... many new rattles reveal themselves. :)

That said, mine hasn't been bad yet.

sauga_kid
11-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Having a rattle as well from somwhere on the passenger side, thinking its the glovebox as well, need to tighten everything this weekend. It's quite annoying.

3GFX
11-02-2007, 08:26 AM
I've noticed the Mazda3 gets a lot of rattles in the colder weather. Its not the worst out there but still annoying.

WeatherB
11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
I've read that the glovebox dampener isn't securely fastened so it can rattle around.

There is a walkthrough somewhere on Mazda 3 Forums for fixing it.

sauga_kid
11-02-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll go check it out

Wild Weasel
11-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Post it here when you find it! :)

3GFX
11-02-2007, 08:51 AM
There are a few rattles, my glovebox doesn't but I have the 2004 sedan issue with the creaky rear window and rear decklid, its finally surfaced with this cold weather. Only once in a while though, now that its even colder is gone again.

sauga_kid
11-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Post it here when you find it! :)
You ask...I deliver:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=52650.0

3GFX
11-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Just a note, you won't need to take the side scuff plates off.

sauga_kid
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
I was wondering about why that was necessary, thanks for confirming

Garu
11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
There are a few rattles, my glovebox doesn't but I have the 2004 sedan issue with the creaky rear window and rear decklid, its finally surfaced with this cold weather. Only once in a while though, now that its even colder is gone again.

Is there anything that can done about this?

3GFX
11-02-2007, 09:33 AM
There is a fix somewhere. Its another service bulleten.

yellowmp5
11-02-2007, 11:54 AM
i have rattles on my MS6 too, most annoyin' is @ the rear window/deck and front windshield/dash....i've tried shoving foam in between the joints, but no dice....i'm thinkin' is it becuz MS6/MS3's hard suspensions, it's causing it to rattle?

Flagrum_3
11-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Is there anything that can done about this?

I had a creek/rattle from the rear decklid also,...I solved it by placing some felt on the extreme corners; (where the corners meet) when the lid is closed....
But now i'm getting another rattle/creek and I think from the inner hatch covering itself.

_3

McGuyver_3
11-02-2007, 10:47 PM
i dont have to many rattles but yet again i have taken my car apart so many times i probably puttied all the loose parts back in the car

Wild Weasel
11-03-2007, 08:33 PM
You ask...I deliver:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=52650.0

Good stuff! Did you do this? Was that one of your rattles?

srbin
11-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I've never had an expensive car, but I know that this is fairly common with economy cars. When it gets cold... many new rattles reveal themselves. :)

That said, mine hasn't been bad yet.

+1... I had my car for a year now and I don't have any rattles...yet... :) But than again most of you guys are playing with the interior plastic... Hopefully I won't have any rattles in the near future... :)

Speedy2008
01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
I just got a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 in cosmic blue. Since I picked up my car on Dec. 31, 07, I have noticed a subtle rattling sound coming from the windshield area. Hopefully, it will subside when it gets warmer outside.

bunchi
01-21-2008, 04:17 PM
I just noticed a rattle on mine too... from the passenger side... I think I found the culprit... the plastic scuff plate! It's only on clips, and it's not on really snug. maybe using double sided tape will help. anybody did anything with this if they had the same problem? There's also a rattle from the back, I haven't figured out wher eit's coming from yet. it's annoying!!!

bunchi
01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
and... I don't have a speed3... so my post is just 50% relevant :chuckle annoying rattles!

REZXPERT
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
solutions: a) turn up volume b) install TBE, drive @ high RPM's c) do up a StreetUnit motor mount... rough idle will balance it out.

bunchi
01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
solutions: a) turn up volume b) install TBE, drive @ high RPM's c) do up a StreetUnit motor mount... rough idle will balance it out.

lol a. works! :chuckle

cosic
01-29-2008, 10:20 PM
It's actually quite bullshit how much rattling is in my car from day one of purchase (brand new). Just as the ones you said. Now it's just down to the glove box, and cowl. Once it gets a little warmer, I will fix the cowl.

bunchi
02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
ok so I thought it was the scuff plates... it wasn't... and then it sounded like it's coming from the speakers on the passenger side... it wasn't either. and then it was like coming from the passenger seat, and then the driver's seat... and finally just what everybody is saying, it's the seat belt buckle that's bolted on to the driver's seat (for some people, the passenger side) that's making all the noise! I just WD40'd the hell out of it and seems to have fixed the noise. Funny how I thought it came from a lot of places before I was able to pinpoint the actual culprit for the noise because it seemed to come from everywhere.

Speedy2008
06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
I've been riding around with the so-called "seat belt buckle" squeak for the past month. Since it won't go away on its own, I think I'll have to buy some lube from Cdn Tire.

Which is better/more effective: White lithium or Silicone grease?

They are both priced the same (less than $10). I don't want anything that will leave a lasting odour or messy residue. WD40 is definitely not an option.

stormin84
06-24-2008, 08:42 PM
i have the 2008.5 mazdaspeed3 and so far i do not have these issues i had them with my 2005 mazda3 gt don't know how i got rid of them they just went away.

Garu
06-24-2008, 09:37 PM
I've been riding around with the so-called "seat belt buckle" squeak for the past month. Since it won't go away on its own, I think I'll have to buy some lube from Cdn Tire.

Which is better/more effective: White lithium or Silicone grease?

They are both priced the same (less than $10). I don't want anything that will leave a lasting odour or messy residue. WD40 is definitely not an option.

White lithium, it will work like charm on the seat belt buckle squeak.
Spray passenger side's as well.

Speedy2008
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM

Thanks, white lithium it will be.

yellowmp5
06-25-2008, 07:54 AM

how do you prevent overspray? should i mask around the seatbelt buckle?
please advice~

Garu
06-25-2008, 08:07 AM
I bought a spray can from Home Depot, it actually comes with a long plastic tube which can be attached to the head of the spray to prevent the overspray.

yellowmp5
06-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I bought a spray can from Home Depot, it actually comes with a long plastic tube which can be attached to the head of the spray to prevent the overspray.

yup i got somethin' similar too, gonna try it out.....hate that continuous tickin' sound
when i go thru bumps and turns..

blackspeed3
08-21-2008, 11:25 AM
I just got a 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 in cosmic blue. Since I picked up my car on Dec. 31, 07, I have noticed a subtle rattling sound coming from the windshield area. Hopefully, it will subside when it gets warmer outside.

Take your car in for warranty. My windshield creaked like a mofo because its either missing clips or they are defective....can't quite remember. Now there is no noise whatsoever.

prairiespeeder
09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Had rattles in rear passenger area within a few thousand k. turned out to be door hinges coming loose. quick fix under warranty

yellowmp5
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Take your car in for warranty. My windshield creaked like a mofo because its either missing clips or they are defective....can't quite remember. Now there is no noise whatsoever.

Had rattles in rear passenger area within a few thousand k. turned out to be door hinges coming loose. quick fix under warranty

which dealerships did u guys go to?

at least i had my seatbelt click fixed, thx to GARU's advice~

Garu
09-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't wait for the winter rattle fest.

blackspeed3
09-06-2008, 10:49 AM
which dealerships did u guys go to?

at least i had my seatbelt click fixed, thx to GARU's advice~

I took mine to mississauga mazda when Tiffany was still there, she was very helpful. Not there anymore but I'm sure you wont have a problem, just explain it to them.

J-SHOW
10-04-2008, 05:54 PM

I picked up a Speed 3 about two weeks ago and yeah, I have that same creaking coming from the windshield/dashboard area. It makes me SO F***ING MAD!! I paid 30k for a new car, not 10k for a used, busted car, so why does it sounds like one? It sounds older and more beaten up than my last car (an 8 year old civic). If Mazda doesn't fix this, I'm probably going to sell the car, cause right now, I'm in a bad mood every time I drive it.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-04-2008, 06:45 PM
I picked up a Speed 3 about two weeks ago and yeah, I have that same creaking coming from the windshield/dashboard area. It makes me SO F***ING MAD!! I paid 30k for a new car, not 10k for a used, busted car, so why does it sounds like one? It sounds older and more beaten up than my last car (an 8 year old civic). If Mazda doesn't fix this, I'm probably going to sell the car, cause right now, I'm in a bad mood every time I drive it.

You paid 30K for a new Mazdaspeed3? I don't think so...:loco

J-SHOW
10-04-2008, 07:20 PM
You paid 30K for a new Mazdaspeed3? I don't think so...:loco

Yes, here on planet earth, they cost about 30k. Where do you come from friend?

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, here on planet earth, they cost about 30k. Where do you come from friend?

Are we talking 30K out the door with taxes for a new 2009 or 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3? If so, all I have to say is "nanu-nanu and live long and prosper"...friend.

stormin84
10-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Are we talking 30K out the door with taxes for a new 2009 or 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3? If so, all I have to say is "nanu-nanu and live long and prosper"...friend.

i agree $29,360.00 + warranty + taxes + if financing = alot more then 30k

he must have had some sweet deal

J-SHOW
10-04-2008, 07:45 PM

No, we are not talking out the door with taxes. We are talking MSRP.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
J-Show,

Welcome to the forum then and congrats on the new speed3. Would be a good idea to introduce yourself in one of the sections for this so that folks get to know you.

There are a lot of "trolls" that come on here every now and again and simply just write negative things about the Mazda3, most likely because they bought a different car, and most probably don't even own one... So, I was a little suspicious of your 1st ever post being negative towards the speed3.

Incidentally, my speed3, now that it has gotten colder, has also started to exhibit the windshield/dash squeaking and chattering you mention. Here is dealer TSB that will correct the problem if your chattering is related to the cowl rubbing the windshield.

Most new cars have some minor issues that need to be addressed under warranty. I'd rather have a few rattles that need to be fixed than serious mechanical issues, all things considered... Take it into your dealer, get it fixed under warranty and then enjoy the speed3.

CHATTERING NOISE AT BASE OF WINDSHIELD COWL GRILL
Applicable Models

Model Starting S/N Ending S/N Model Spec
MAZDA3 2007-2008 000000 ZZZZZZ

Related Category/Subcategory/Symptoms
BODY AND ACCESSORY / ON-BOARD TROUBLESHOOTING / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)
BODY AND ACCESSORY / EXTERIOR TRIM / EXCESSIVE OPERATION NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / WINDOW GLASSES / UNUSUAL VIBRATION/CHATTER
BODY AND ACCESSORY / TRIMS AND MATS/CARPET / RESONANCE NOISE
BODY AND ACCESSORY / INSTR.PANEL/GLOVEBOX / UNUSUAL NOISE(EXCL. PINGING,SQUEAKING,OPERATION,RESONANCE)

MTOL - 5636 Dealer Repair Information
Symptom and Conditions

Some customers may experience a chattering noise when passing over bumps
and/or driving on a rough roads,that may be confused as a dash rattle
at the base of the windshield.

Condition may be the result of a stick slips noise that occurs between
the cowl grill and the windshield.

Repair Procedure

When you encounter a customer with this concern replace the insulator
pads on the 8 hooks of the cowl grill with improved part as listed.

Part No. L206-50-794 Qty. 8 (4 per side)

blackspeed3
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
my creaky windshield was supposedly fixed last year...now that its cold again...its back!

Garu
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
my creaky windshield was supposedly fixed last year...now that its cold again...its back!

So you had TSB performed on your car and it is back now?

blackspeed3
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
So you had TSB performed on your car and it is back now?

Yep...I noticed it yesterday for the first time. I guess now because the weather is getting cooler. I'm not impressed with the fit and finish of "little" things on the speed 3.

b1epgh24
10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Me too i've had my car for 3 weeks now and now its getting colder and i'm starting to hear creaks from my windshield i have 2300 km on it

stormin84
10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
Yep...I noticed it yesterday for the first time. I guess now because the weather is getting cooler. I'm not impressed with the fit and finish of "little" things on the speed 3.

so you just noticed that the sound is back...but you were not impressed fit and finish of it before....why were you just coming up with this now and not taking it back to the dealership to have the re-done if you didn't like it. kinda late to be complaining about it, if it was done last year.

boogie
10-06-2008, 09:58 PM
There were alot of reports on M3F of people having the TSB done, and the rattling eventually coming back. Seems like it was just a temporary fix.

blackspeed3
10-07-2008, 09:22 AM
so you just noticed that the sound is back...but you were not impressed fit and finish of it before....why were you just coming up with this now and not taking it back to the dealership to have the re-done if you didn't like it. kinda late to be complaining about it, if it was done last year.

You need to pay attention. I said I noticed the rattle/squeak was back 2 days ago. So how could I have taken it back before that? :loco

I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of ALOT of the car, as much as I love it.

And who are you to say its late to be complaining about anything to me?

stormin84
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
You need to pay attention. I said I noticed the rattle/squeak was back 2 days ago. So how could I have taken it back before that? :loco

I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of ALOT of the car, as much as I love it.

And who are you to say its late to be complaining about anything to me?

You wrote that you were not impressed with the fit that is why I wrote that it was late to be complaining. Didn't know that you were complaining about a lot of other things

My bad doesn't mean that if someone miss read what you wrote doesn't mean you have to get nasty

kevcol74
10-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Just wondering why there are such high expectations for the Mazdaspeed3 over the regular 3s... Last I knew they went down the same production line! The Speed gets you more power and handling, but the fit and finish isn't going to be any different! You paid more, I understand that, but it was for the engine and suspension, maybe the seats?, but none the less, same car!
It would be like someone complaining about their Focus SVT haveing the same squeeks and rattles over a regular Focus.... And for the record, the SVT is fully seam welded, unlike the regular spot welded Focus... = stiffer SVT = less rattles... But, ALOT of parts are the same! Its just the econobox on steroids!

"I paid extra for the Civic SIR"... big deal, still a civic... :bang

blackspeed3
10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
You wrote that you were not impressed with the fit that is why I wrote that it was late to be complaining. Didn't know that you were complaining about a lot of other things

My bad doesn't mean that if someone miss read what you wrote doesn't mean you have to get nasty

Sorry I didn't mean to be short...having a shitty day. My apologies. And this problem resurfacing is just reinforcing that its not put together properly. Even the plastic shroud on my passenger side tweeter on the door...there is a huge gap between it and where it mounts. On the drivers side its perfect. Shift knobs gets scratched to shit within weeks. The grey plastic used in and around hvac controls and stereo is complete shit. Its very easy to scratch as I have have a bunch.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Just wondering why there are such high expectations for the Mazdaspeed3 over the regular 3s... Last I knew they went down the same production line! The Speed gets you more power and handling, but the fit and finish isn't going to be any different! You paid more, I understand that, but it was for the engine and suspension, maybe the seats?, but none the less, same car!
It would be like someone complaining about their Focus SVT haveing the same squeeks and rattles over a regular Focus.... And for the record, the SVT is fully seam welded, unlike the regular spot welded Focus... = stiffer SVT = less rattles... But, ALOT of parts are the same! Its just the econobox on steroids!

:agree
To be honest, the fit and finish on the 3 is significantly better than most of the cars in its class and the interior is also much nicer and of better grade materials. Has anyone seen the interior of the Civic and Corolla which are often considered the class leaders? Yuck, yuck and yuck.

The 3, in my mind anyway, manages to look much more expensive than its supposed econobox classification. Almost everyone who sits in either of mine for the first time, comments on how nice the interior is.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Guys,

My speed3 is in with the dealer now having the dash/cowl/windshield rattle looked at. I gave them a copy of the TSB also.

I'll let you know how it goes once I pick it up later today...

cy88
10-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Guys,

My speed3 is in with the dealer now having the dash/cowl/windshield rattle looked at. I gave them a copy of the TSB also.

Any updates on that? I am hearing more and more rattling from my windshield that I think i'll drop it off to have it taken care of.

Mazda3X2
10-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Guys,

Could you post where you got the TSB information from please? I would like to print a copy for myself.

My 08.5 Speed 3 has started to exhibit symptoms of rattling at the base of the windsheild as well now that the weather is cooler. Kind of drives me insane.

My dealership has proved time and time again to be less than competent and I want to have as much information as I can arm myself with.

Thanks.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Any updates on that? I am hearing more and more rattling from my windshield that I think i'll drop it off to have it taken care of.

Here is the update. When I originally took the car to the dealer to get Amsoil put in the MS3 and to have them diagnose the rattle, it ended up pouring with rain almost all day. It was truly impossible for the tech to hear specifically where the rattles were coming from. He heard the rattle for sure, but asked that I bring it back on a clear and cold day.

Last week, i brought the MS3 back in and took the tech out for a drive with me. He heard it immediately and let me know that he had a car in the shop, a regular 3 GT hatch, with the exact same problem. I had already provided him and the service manager with a copy of the TSB.

They have ordered the parts from the TSB and I will be taking my car in on this coming Monday to have them install the TSB parts and see if this addresses the problem. I'll update at that time whether it worked or not. I seriously hope so as the rattle really bugs me and I also want to install a custom OEM centre piece gauge pod with Maddad clarity gauges (turbo boost, Oil pressure and EGR) that I purchased from one of the members here who was putting his car back to stock. I am just not going to install them until this rattle is fixed as I don't want the finger-pointing BS that sometimes happens when you have mods. I doubt I would have a problem with this dealership and the fine folks that work there, but I'd rather not take the chance for that aggravation.

Could you post where you got the TSB information from please? I would like to print a copy for myself.

My 08.5 Speed 3 has started to exhibit symptoms of rattling at the base of the windsheild as well now that the weather is cooler. Kind of drives me insane.

My dealership has proved time and time again to be less than competent and I want to have as much information as I can arm myself with.

Thanks.

I found the TSB on the Mazdaspeed forum and I think someone posted it on here too, a while back.

The dealer didn't seem to know of it and thought that it might be a U.S. TSB that wasn't yet available in Canada. They couldn't pull it up in the system, but didn't mind me giving it to them. That said, I've been going there for years, so they know me pretty well.

Basically, I just said that I am a Mazdaspeed and TM3 forum member and that I found this TSB info on the site, as apparently a lot of MS3 owners and some regular 3 owners are having this problem. I let them know that it seemed to fix the problems these owners were having, but that I'll leave it up to them to decide whether this is indeed the same issue I am experiencing, as after all, they are the "experts".

In other discussion, I don't think this problem is just limited to the 3 and MS3. My guess is that Mazda got a bad/defective batch of parts for insulating the cowl/windshield and that you will see a more formal TSB or recall coming soon on this. I know of at least two Mazda 5 owners now with the same rattle issue... Appears to be a fairly widespread manufacturing issue.

Zoom Zoom Boy
10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
An update.

Had the car in for the TSB today.

For all those interested, this is what is noted in the work-order on the N/C invoice.

A Check Windshield Chatter/Rattle
Replaced as per bulletin
S0412XRX .4

INT./EXT. Trim and Hardware
MZ L206-50-794 Protector x 8

End Result is that this fixed the window chatter/rattle that I was experiencing. Bad news is that it introduced another noise that is just as bad, if not worse than the original rattle. However, unlike the cowl rattle that happened almost constantly on non Highway roads, this new noise only happens on road imperfections and cracks. It is coming from the drivers side dash or window/cowl area and sounds just like 2 pieces of styrofoam rubbing against each other. When i heat the windows using the heater on window setting, the sound decreases.

I went back to the dealer and noted the issue. Said I would play around for a week or so and see if I could isolate it while driving and also to see if it subsides once the parts get worked in better. If it doesn't dissapear, then another trip in for me to get this resolved.

Not a major issue, but a little annoying nontheless. Especially so since my wife's 3 has zero rattles whatsoever and even my old 2000 Protege was essentially rattle free in all but the coldest weather.

I'll keep you guys updated, but any ideas what this latest noise could be? It almost sounds like they removed the dash and when putting it back together, it is no longer seating correctly and the insulation is rubbing together when i go over bumps. :rant

unnervingfalcon
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Just posted this in another section..... but I had a rattle in my 2008 left side dash. I found out there was a bulletin for it after. There is a bolt left side bottom of window it needed tightening. Covered under warranty and fixed.

unnervingfalcon
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
An update.

Had the car in for the TSB today.

For all those interested, this is what is noted in the work-order on the N/C invoice.

A Check Windshield Chatter/Rattle
Replaced as per bulletin
S0412XRX .4

INT./EXT. Trim and Hardware
MZ L206-50-794 Protector x 8

End Result is that this fixed the window chatter/rattle that I was experiencing. Bad news is that it introduced another noise that is just as bad, if not worse than the original rattle. However, unlike the cowl rattle that happened almost constantly on non Highway roads, this new noise only happens on road imperfections and cracks. It is coming from the drivers side dash or window/cowl area and sounds just like 2 pieces of styrofoam rubbing against each other. When i heat the windows using the heater on window setting, the sound decreases.

I went back to the dealer and noted the issue. Said I would play around for a week or so and see if I could isolate it while driving and also to see if it subsides once the parts get worked in better. If it doesn't dissapear, then another trip in for me to get this resolved.

Not a major issue, but a little annoying nontheless. Especially so since my wife's 3 has zero rattles whatsoever and even my old 2000 Protege was essentially rattle free in all but the coldest weather.

I'll keep you guys updated, but any ideas what this latest noise could be? It almost sounds like they removed the dash and when putting it back together, it is no longer seating correctly and the insulation is rubbing together when i go over bumps. :rant

Hmm may have been the rattle I just mentioned above

Zoom Zoom Boy
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Hmm may have been the rattle I just mentioned above

Hey, thanks. Actually, that other rattle went away after I drove the car for a bit and has not resurfaced. I made that post as soon as I got back from the dealer.

My MS3 is rattle free now except for loose change in the center console and the odd squeak from the seat belt restraints when it is really cold. I am curious though if any rattles come back once I move back to the low profile summer tires as they drive a lot harsher than the winter rubber I am running now.

stormin84
01-29-2009, 06:58 PM
i'm still waiting for the rattle to come back, so i can take it to the dealership...but for some odd reason it hasn't come back. i guess it had fixed itself with the cold weather we had a couple of weaks ago.

1slowcar
01-30-2009, 12:00 PM
I have a few rattles in my new 08 Civic as well. The first one developed at less than 2,000 km.

openuser
01-31-2009, 10:32 AM
The marshmallow winter tires do cover up a lot of bumps and crevises on the road..
After I put on the winters, I immediately noticed reduced rattles..

Karateman
06-21-2009, 08:34 PM
My car is only 4 months old and I am finding rattles coming from the rear cargo area and front windshield. Is this normal?

Speed 3 Demon
06-21-2009, 10:21 PM
My car is only 4 months old and I am finding rattles coming from the rear cargo area and front windshield. Is this normal?

I'm getting the rattling under the windshield (cowling), the center dash piece and driver door (only when the music is loud in the door). I've gone to my dealership and they are gonna replace some clips in the cowling, as that's a known issue... with regards to any other rattles, probably just the nature of the beast. They rattle and squeak.
I'm gonna try some double sided 3m tape in the squeaky dash pieces, and hopefully it'll be good.

Karateman
06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I still can't get over the rattles from a supposedly Japanese quality car? Is this thing a Mazda or Ford built piece of machinery? :)

cy88
06-26-2009, 10:19 PM
I still can't get over the rattles from a supposedly Japanese quality car? Is this thing a Mazda or Ford built piece of machinery? :)

The last time I checked, the Speeds are made in Japan :)

JashiK
06-27-2009, 12:37 AM
i believe all 3's are made in japan.

evilempire
07-21-2009, 03:52 PM
wikipedia says they are all made in japan!

joeboy
01-12-2010, 09:54 PM
2010 MS3 - Same problems.

Ex-Rolla
02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Friggin losing my mind in this car. I understand that this is a regular mazda3 with a more powerful engine, but my 2005 3 sounds like a lexus compared to this shit. I've taken almost all the panels off many times in my 05 and it still sounds a 100 times better than this.

It sounds like the noises are coming from the windshield/a-pillars/where dash meets windshield.

took the car to the dealer, left it for the day, but they didn't have enough time to get to that particular issue.

edit: Zoom zoom boy, sounds like I'm experiencing the same issue you are, but mine hasn't dissipated.

Ex-Rolla
02-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Thank you for your insight, but i completely disagree with you. When you don't want do drive your car because you're worried about getting a headache, then there is a problem. When my 05 Mazda3 was lowered with Mazdaspeed springs, it didn't sound this bad. Any noise was isolated to the suspension, which is understandable, but in this case, it's trim pieces that are causing the problems.

Zoom Zoom Boy
02-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Guy,

Sorry to hear that your new MS3 is rattling like a MOFO. When I had the rattle issue in my first winter in a new MS3, it drove me bonkers too. It probably is the windshield/cowl rattle that you are hearing as it is a common issue, or it is likely noise from the center console and the rubbing of the insulating material as the chassis flexes. The seatbelt restraints can also creak sometimes in the cold, but that is endemic to a lot of cars. It is most probably the windshield/cowl...

The good news is that once my dealer performed this TSB for me, which is as simple as changing out the insulator pads/hooks, the rattle went away completely and has not resurfaced, even in the -20 weather we were recently having this year.

I know of a few people that had the TSB performed and the rattle was still there, albeit less so than before. If that happens, ask them to place an insulator strip between the dash and windshield and this should fully correct the problem.

Just make sure you get this complant documented with your delaer and get them to fix it. I suggest you request the tech or service advisor to accompany you for a test drive and make sure they hear the noise firsthand. This will save you time, aggravation and B.S. Once they hear it, they have to address it.

Good luck guy.