PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 Stock Satellite Unit

lamerking
11-03-2007, 12:04 PM
I searched but could not find exactly what I needed but I have an 07 M3 and i'm thinking of getting satellite. The deck has the satellite button and I think I remember seeing a memeber having install the unit but I dont recall who it was. My question is what is the model # I need for the unit? Do I need an installation kit? If so is it sold seperately or does it come with it unit?

Gizzmo_jr
11-03-2007, 12:52 PM
Satellite RADIO (Sirius)

lamerking
11-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Yes but is there only one model for the stock unit?

whiteomega
11-03-2007, 09:25 PM
the Mazda OEM satellite receiver isn't available in Canada anymore; you can order one from the States through Ebay, but it's about 300 bucks + shipping. i don't know what the part number is.

if you want to save some cash, have a look at the plug'n'play units; you can always get an FM direct adapter for those (which is what i did), and install it yourself.

lamerking
11-04-2007, 10:06 AM
What is the FM direct adapter and how does it work? How easy was the install. I seen the install for the Mazda receiver and it doesn't look bad.

the Mazda OEM satellite receiver isn't available in Canada anymore; you can order one from the States through Ebay, but it's about 300 bucks + shipping. i don't know what the part number is.

if you want to save some cash, have a look at the plug'n'play units; you can always get an FM direct adapter for those (which is what i did), and install it yourself.

SonicBoy
11-04-2007, 04:15 PM
Since the GT 2008.5 models appear to be getting them as an option perhaps the units will be available back in Canada.

lamerking
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Since the GT 2008.5 models appear to be getting them as an option perhaps the units will be available back in Canada.

And I have a feeling its going to cost an arm and a leg. The units cost $430 in the states.

whiteomega
11-04-2007, 09:31 PM
What is the FM direct adapter and how does it work? How easy was the install. I seen the install for the Mazda receiver and it doesn't look bad.

here is the best buy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10082278&catid=23649&logon=&langid=EN) page for the FM adapter. it plugs into the FM out port on the plug'n'play receiver, and then runs directly into the FM input on the back of your radio. it has a pass-through plug so you can keep your stock radio antenna functioning.

installation was pretty easy; i wasn't too familiar with disassembling the dash, but you can find some good instructions in the how-to section of the forums. to get everything working took me probably 15-20 minutes...to get everything setup the way i wanted it took a bit more fiddling (probably another 20 mins or so). i didn't hardwire the power, because i didn't know how, but most places, as well as quite a few people on the boards, could probably do that for you if you wanted.

Edit: here (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11997) is rsquared's How-To on the ipod audio link. i chose to locate my satellite unit in the ash tray area, so these instructions were very easy to follow. you'll need to run two things behind the dash to the satellite unit: the sirius antenna (mine is stuck to the dashboard inside the car, which sirius apparently doesn't recommend) and the FM wired modulator thingy. there is plenty of room for both cables.

lamerking
11-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Wow thanks for the info. The FM adapter i'm assuming plays out of a static radio station correct? It would be great if I could still use the Sat button on the stock radio.

Which Sirius unit do you have?

here is the best buy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10082278&catid=23649&logon=&langid=EN) page for the FM adapter. it plugs into the FM out port on the plug'n'play receiver, and then runs directly into the FM input on the back of your radio. it has a pass-through plug so you can keep your stock radio antenna functioning.

installation was pretty easy; i wasn't too familiar with disassembling the dash, but you can find some good instructions in the how-to section of the forums. to get everything working took me probably 15-20 minutes...to get everything setup the way i wanted it took a bit more fiddling (probably another 20 mins or so). i didn't hardwire the power, because i didn't know how, but most places, as well as quite a few people on the boards, could probably do that for you if you wanted.

Edit: here (http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=11997) is rsquared's How-To on the ipod audio link. i chose to locate my satellite unit in the ash tray area, so these instructions were very easy to follow. you'll need to run two things behind the dash to the satellite unit: the sirius antenna (mine is stuck to the dashboard inside the car, which sirius apparently doesn't recommend) and the FM wired modulator thingy. there is plenty of room for both cables.

whiteomega
11-07-2007, 09:26 AM
this (http://www.xactcommunication.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radios-7/XTR3CK-Visor-Sirius-Satellite-Plug--Play-Receiver-and-Vehicle-Kit-94.html) is the radio unit i have.

and yes, the output is to an FM radio station (you can choose which one). the Sat button won't work with this setup; you'd have to change the radio stations on the unit itself.

i want the oem satellite unit too..but this way was a lot cheaper for me (since i got the xact unit free with the car)

Mike
11-07-2007, 10:15 AM
I would really like to have the oem satellite radio too, as it would be super clean and convenient, but cannot justify the price. It's 2-3 time the price of an after market unit.
Anyone as a good source for cheap oem sat radio?

RedRaptor
11-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Try to look for a used one on Ebay or on M3F.

whiteomega
11-07-2007, 01:37 PM
last time i checked on ebay, the price for the oem unit was USD320, shipping in.

that's still considerably more than the 100 or so you'd pay for a pnp unit and the FM wired modulator.

lamerking
11-08-2007, 12:49 PM
this (http://www.xactcommunication.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radios-7/XTR3CK-Visor-Sirius-Satellite-Plug--Play-Receiver-and-Vehicle-Kit-94.html) is the radio unit i have.

and yes, the output is to an FM radio station (you can choose which one). the Sat button won't work with this setup; you'd have to change the radio stations on the unit itself.

i want the oem satellite unit too..but this way was a lot cheaper for me (since i got the xact unit free with the car)

Hows the quality of sound for this? I know it won't be extravagent but if its as good as stock its fine with me. I know on some unit, the sound comes in with a lower volume as it is radio radio frequency

whiteomega
11-08-2007, 03:00 PM
meh. it's decent. other than the satellite radio my entire audio setup is bone stock. because this is a direct output to the radio, you won't get any interference over the airwaves. the one place i haven't really tried this yet though is downtown, where the radio's output *might* get overwhelmed with the FM modulator (i highly doubt it, though).

Edit: 'meh' in the "it's like stock" way.