PDA

View Full Version : Do our cars have block heaters?

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Does it come with one? Is there an OEM one available? Is it set up to use one?

Anyone got one? :)

dentinger
11-07-2007, 11:15 AM
i think i saw an OEM block heater in the CD i got from mazda a while back..

RedRaptor
11-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Yes there is an OEM one you can get (100% sure for a standard 3 but not sure about a MS3). I believe the parts only cost $25 or so but the labour to install it costs $100+ from the dealership.

You don't need a block heater unless you live in Ottawa or Montreal. There isn't even snow in the GTA. :)

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
On the coldest days, I found my block heater useful in the Sunfire, and that was parked inside the garage. Since the MS3 is outside, I'm sure it will be just as, if not more useful.

It's certainly not a necessity, but I'd like to have one.

I know about the one for the regular 3. I'm pretty sure Skarbro put one in.

I'm just hoping there's one available for the MS3.

Xerox
11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
I figured you would be accustomed to the GM since I believe it's mostly standard equipment on GM cars (atleast they used to be)

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Yep. :)

yellowmp5
11-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Block heater, yours for $369 CAD....

REFER TO M6C LINK... (http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=85412&hl=BLOCK+HEATER)

ManyMazdas:
Just received a letter form Mazda telling me they now have a block heater for the DISI and they would be happy to install it for only $369 CAN.
Not only should this have been available and included at time of purchase as standard equipment in a $40K + vehicle (especially in cold Canada), they make me wait a year and then try to hose me.
Stuff like this turns me off to this car company :irate:

My Respond:
Friend of mine installed a Heat blocker for Ford focus in her Mazda Protege 5, cost her $20ish CAD for 30min....
maybe Ford Fuzion's block heater may fit our car...perhaps?

ManyMazdas:
No - not perhaps.
Mazda had to develope a special heater for the DISI motor - apparently, the heater had issues passing safety requirements and was delayed a year - that is why those in cold climates had to wait until now. You cannot fit any heater you want onto this block. Anyway, the point is they are now trying to recover some of the R&D cost by soaking us with a $369 block heater. I'll say it again - I don't like the fact that they did not provide a block heater option when I bought the car - now that it is finally available, you would think they would take this delay into consideration when pricing the unit - at $369, they did just the opposite
As for cold starts, when it's more than 20 below, it's time to plug in. At temps this low, oil will thicken and doesn't lubricate as intended over those first few critical minutes when you car is very cold and revving high in an effort to warm up (synth oil helps BTW)
PO57 - I was just funnin' with yeh - don't sweat it.

can someone confirm this? i don't wanna ditch out $400 for a block heater~

b3GS
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
thats ridiculous for a block heater

ptfire
11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I would like to get one installed but that price is crazy.

Iturralde
11-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Instead of a block heater, is there such thing as a remote starter that will automatically start your car and run it for a bit when the temperature gets below, say -20? If so this may be a better option, just get one of these installed?

X

b3GS
11-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Instead of a block heater, is there such thing as a remote starter that will automatically start your car and run it for a bit when the temperature gets below, say -20? If so this may be a better option, just get one of these installed?

X

of course there is.. but the point of a block heater is to keep the engine warm so your oil flows easier at start up, and is easier on the engine for start-up and there is less wear on the engine due to a cold start

a remote starter doesn't help in those areas.. just warms up the car for you :chuckle

it can also be argued that a remote start is a bad thing, because it takes longer for your engine to warm up just sitting there in your driveway then it does if you just start driving it.

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
That was $369 installed right? I wonder if he was just getting hosed on the labour and the price of the part is actually reasonable.

Anyone have a part number or price?

Skarbro
11-07-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Skarbro put one in.

It's definitely available. But I opted not to get it. You don't really need it in this climate IMO. If you lived in Timmins, then I would suggest getting one.

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Ah. I thought you'd put one in. My bad. :)

Skarbro
11-07-2007, 01:11 PM
of course there is.. but the point of a block heater is to keep the engine warm so your oil flows easier at start up, and is easier on the engine for start-up and there is less wear on the engine due to a cold start
I rely on fully synthetic oil for this purpose. You're not going to get any kind of significant difference in engine wear from using a block heater with synthetic.

dsichewski
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
I got the blovk heater installed when I bought my 2006 sport...so yes block heater is for sure available for the reg 3...

Might I suggest....
*paging Flippy, Paging Flippy*

FLIPDADY
11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
You know I was just about to post something about block heaters.:)

For the 2.0/2.3 base engines - $34.00 plus tax.

For the 2.3 Turbo - $33.63 plus tax.

Labour to install them is $135.00 plus tax.

I don't know where they got that ridiculous price in that M6C thread. Maybe the MS6 heater is different?

Skarbro
11-07-2007, 02:15 PM
You know I was just about to post something about block heaters.:)

For the 2.0/2.3 base engines - $34.00 plus tax.

For the 2.3 Turbo - $33.63 plus tax.

Labour to install them is $135.00 plus tax.

I don't know where they got that ridiculous pricein that thread above.
That's more like it.

Garu
11-07-2007, 02:17 PM
What are block heaters??

RedRaptor
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
What are block heaters??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

Xerox
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
What are block heaters??

Off topic but your post threw me in a loop for a second cuz your avatar is very similar to ptfire who posted earlier in this thread.

Garu
11-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Off topic but your post threw me in a loop for a second cuz your avatar is very similar to ptfire who posted earlier in this thread.

Still off topic but it's actually his avatar is very simlar to mine. :)

Garu
11-07-2007, 02:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

Thank you actually that helped me to understand much better than 'Use the farking search'.

RedRaptor
11-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you actually that helped me to understand much better than 'Use the farking search'.

I'm getting a bad rep here for being too "mean", so I figured I'll tone it down a bit and try to be a little bit more helpful. :)

KenYork
11-07-2007, 02:45 PM
You can do the install yourself but it's a PITA!! The frost plug is located behind the header. A 14mm allen key is required to take out the frost plug.

Anyone willing to install mine?

Wild Weasel
11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm getting a bad rep here for being too "mean", so I figured I'll tone it down a bit and try to be a little bit more helpful. :)

Good stuff!

I've actually noticed this. You were nice to me a few weeks back and my first thought was "WTF??" :chuckle

FLIPPY, order one up for me. I'll pick it up Friday or Saturday when I'm by.

Thetoaster99
11-07-2007, 11:22 PM
I had one installed when I purchased my car, but dont think I am going to need it since I moved into my Condo and indoor parking.. lol

SpeedBaby
11-08-2007, 12:53 AM
how come the MS3 one is cheaper than the regular 3?

not that im complaining, or that i would get one, but just curious

EvilDeadFan
11-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Yes they have them. I had one installed free on my car. They are ridiculously small heating coil like elements that basically replace a block plug. We all know what they do, I just never saw one up close like that before. Now that I know.. no wonder they're not much to buy.

alhope34
11-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I didn't think Toronto ever got cold enough to need a block heater. When my mom used to drive a school bus she'd use it all the time in the winter, but large diesel engines run much different than a small gasoline burning engine.

Skarbro
11-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I didn't think Toronto ever got cold enough to need a block heater.
It doesn't. No one actually needs a block heater in Toronto. Just some people like to have the car warm up a tad faster. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. The car warms up fine and never has any problem starting. The money saved in fuel probably doesn't make up the cost in electricity - unless you live in Thunder Bay or something.

prairiespeeder
09-01-2008, 04:44 PM
In Sask my car came with a circulating heater that basically worked the same way as a block heater (which we obviously need out here). I had to hunt around for the cord a bit. Not sure if this was standard in prairie sales, or an option. Worked good up to -35 or so since I've had it.

openuser
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Good stuff!

I've actually noticed this. You were nice to me a few weeks back and my first thought was "WTF??" :chuckle

FLIPPY, order one up for me. I'll pick it up Friday or Saturday when I'm by.

I don't think he was so mean.

(Sorry, off topic)

MLN
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Hello, i have this kind of block heater on my 3 MPS> http://www.defa.com/doc/DIV/460450.pdf I live in finland and my mazda dealer but in on my car. And it`s Working fine :flaming

JordanAndrew
09-28-2008, 08:01 AM
Luckily when I got my 2008 MS3 last Jan 2008, I got a block heater installed as part of the deal. Works awesome in cold days. I live in Calgary and it gets cold here every now and then.

dumpbear
09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I have the OEM heater and I used it only about 3 or 4 times last winter. I only use it when it is going to be round -20ish overnight.

My family is in Sault Ste. Marie, so I can use it when I'm up there.

Like others, came as part of the deal for me, so no sweat off my wallet's back...

canadiangator
12-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes there is an OEM one you can get (100% sure for a standard 3 but not sure about a MS3). I believe the parts only cost $25 or so but the labour to install it costs $100+ from the dealership.

You don't need a block heater unless you live in Ottawa or Montreal. There isn't even snow in the GTA. :)

no snow in the GTA eh??? I think you should look outside today my friend

enjoy the snow

mazdas3sporte
12-20-2008, 10:19 AM
no snow in the GTA eh??? I think you should look outside today my friend

enjoy the snow

he wrote that on November of 2007... lol

0nsp
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
well since this is back to life...

I talked to my dealer this AM. 250$ to install a block heater for the MS3, but the part only costs 60$. Is there a how-to floating around anywhere to get this installed?