PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Me and My Side View Mirror!!!

lamerking
11-10-2007, 01:55 AM
So tonight, I was backing up with some speed and I accidently hit one of those orange-black construction pylons on the driver side and it broke off the back cover into several pieces. By the looks of it the cover should of just came off the hinges but it snapped into several pieces. I spent some time glueing it back together but i'm still missing some pieces so I had to use electrical tape to cover missing pieces and hold the cover on the mirror. I also snapped a piece off the top of the mirror. Its the black plastic portion and I was lucky to hold it back with tape.

I'm just mad at myself for not being careful. :bangAlthough I did put a spoiler on the car and it looks good lol. :hawt

Any idea how much it is to buy a cover for the driver side mirror? Anyone have any suggestions?

dentinger
11-10-2007, 01:17 PM
ive seen them for under $50 on ebay, and you can get chrome ones, or the ones with signals built into them

lamerking
11-10-2007, 07:18 PM
I talked to Probart Mazda today as they were the only ones that had their parts/service department closest to me. I asked them how much a new coloured cover was and he told me that they do not sell it solo. You have to buy the entire mirror for $179 and there was 3 in TO. I'm thinking of replacing the entire unit b/c a piece of the plastic on top of the mirror also snapped off. I'll have to order it on Monday from Windsor Mazda before 1pm and it should come in on Tuesday morning. I'll have to schedule an appointment to have it installed. It looks easy but I never touched any wiring before.

MPS
11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
WHAT!!! i priced 1 today also its $28 any color

lamerking
11-10-2007, 08:39 PM
WHAT!!! i priced 1 today also its $28 any color

Whoa whoa whoa.....where, who and what? I priced out the entire side mirror, not just the cover. Please do elaborate

MPS
11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
that was just the cover

lamerking
11-10-2007, 09:00 PM
that was just the cover

OEM or on ebay? If it was from a dealership, who?

MPS
11-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Westown Mazda

lamerking
11-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I'll have to give them a call on Monday...not sure why Probart Mazda told me that I needed to purchase the entire mirror set. They told me that they are several different driver side side mirrors, depending on the model of your vehicle.

MPS
11-10-2007, 11:40 PM
lol if its a mazda 3 they all fit

zoomzoom33
11-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I talked to Probart Mazda today as they were the only ones that had their parts/service department closest to me. I asked them how much a new coloured cover was and he told me that they do not sell it solo. You have to buy the entire mirror for $179 and there was 3 in TO. I'm thinking of replacing the entire unit b/c a piece of the plastic on top of the mirror also snapped off. I'll have to order it on Monday from Windsor Mazda before 1pm and it should come in on Tuesday morning. I'll have to schedule an appointment to have it installed. It looks easy but I never touched any wiring before.

Sorry to hear that, I had the same problem with my mirror breaking off.
I would recommend you buy the mirror from the dealer and do the install
yourself. It's very easy to do. First off, you would remove the black side cover on the inside of your car where the mirror is. Its attached by clips only,
so give it a slight tug and it should come off. Once you have it off, you will
see a wire harness and a few screws. un-plug the harness and remove the screw. Once thats done the the mirror will come off. There is no wiring needed, and the install of the new mirror is the reverse. I did mine under 10 mins. Hope this helps and at the same time you just saved 1Hr labour charges
that the dealer would have hit you with.

lamerking
11-11-2007, 10:54 AM
lol if its a mazda 3 they all fit

He said that there are different styles of mirrors (heated vs not...etc) and each looked differently.

Sorry to hear that, I had the same problem with my mirror breaking off.
I would recommend you buy the mirror from the dealer and do the install
yourself. It's very easy to do. First off, you would remove the black side cover on the inside of your car where the mirror is. Its attached by clips only,
see a wire harness and a few screws. un-plug the harness and remove the screw. Once thats done the the mirror will come off. There is no wiring needed, and the install of the new mirror is the reverse. I did mine under 10 mins. Hope this helps and at the same time you just saved 1Hr labour charges
that the dealer would have hit you with.

Thank you for the quick tutorial and it seems pretty simple. Why do you suggest buying a whole unit rather than me just buying the coloured cover for the mirror?
What model is your car? I'm driving an 07 M3 GT.

lamerking
11-11-2007, 04:01 PM
First off, you would remove the black side cover on the inside of your car where the mirror is. Its attached by clips only,
see a wire harness and a few screws. un-plug the harness and remove the screw.

The black side cover you are referring to, my piece has a tweeter or speaker on it. Is that the right one?

Also when you buy the new mirror, does it include the swivel?

MPS
11-11-2007, 04:02 PM
post a pic plz

lamerking
11-11-2007, 08:02 PM
post a pic plz

I didn't take a picture but I did find one on the following link

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9651

The first picture shows him pulling out the tweeter

The install would be simple but I just have to be careful when pulling out the tweeter as I do not wish to break the clips.

MPS
11-11-2007, 08:23 PM
ok to change the rear miror cap you dont need to remove the miror

ill tell you what get the cap come see me and ill install it for free
it takes 1 min no joke

lamerking
11-11-2007, 08:28 PM
ok to change the rear miror cap you dont need to remove the miror ill tell you what get the cap come see me and ill install it for free it takes 1 min no joke

If I only buy the cover, I'll just snap it on myself. I'll have to call around the dealerships and ask. But if I end up getting an entire new mirror I'll have to do what Optimizer did. There are a few scratches on the mirror....so I have to decide what I want to do.

lamerking
11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Just wanted to give an update. I ended up calling Joe at MoT and got a part number from him. Probart Mazda in London tried to tell me there is not cover and you have to purchase the entire mirror. I then took that part no. and called Windsor Mazda and ordered it. With tax, came to $28. I snapped it right back on and i'm happy with a new cover again. I took some toothpaste and polished my mirror and some of the scratches came out but the deep ones I couldnt do anything about it. They are very small scratches and can't notice them. If I want to replace the mirror and holder, its only $43. I did snap off the black holder but superglued it back on.

Thanks Mazdaspeed, I wouldn't have known about the cover if I didn't ask around. I would have ended up purchasing the entire mirror and then finding out about the cover and wouldn't have been a happy camper.

3_SoMe
11-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Hey Lamerking....its because Probart Mazda sucks a fat one!! All of us London guys have had the same problem with them. If you talk to Egor instead of the other guy, he may be able to help you. The other guy struggles to even come to the counter to help a customer out.

Also, you should come on out to a meet. We post on the regular mazda3forum. Sorry for the lil plug.

lamerking
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey Lamerking....its because Probart Mazda sucks a fat one!! All of us London guys have had the same problem with them. If you talk to Egor instead of the other guy, he may be able to help you. The other guy struggles to even come to the counter to help a customer out.

Also, you should come on out to a meet. We post on the regular mazda3forum. Sorry for the lil plug.

I almost bought my car from there, i talked to a guy....I cant remember....either Chris or Rob.....this guy is middle aged, looks italian or something, and has a moustache. Yeah after that little incident I wont be going to them anymore. I seen the posts and I would but I live in Windsor....I dont have too many mods on my car lol.