PDA

View Full Version : Car won't lock.....

Dragazn
11-11-2007, 02:11 AM
I drive a 2007 Hatch and just right now I unlocked my car with the remote to get something and when I tried to lock it, it wouldn't lock the car. It would unlock it but it wouldnt lock. So I tried to lock it manual from the car inside and closed the door. The blue dash light won't turn off and the dome lights won't turn off. I checked to make sure the light knob was set to off and it was.

Not sure what the problem is but I locked it manually and turned off the dome lights for now. But my dash light is still on. Any idea to what the problem might be? Car is stock except for hids.

Thanks in advance.

srbin
11-11-2007, 09:30 AM
First thing I would try is to reprogram both remotes... I'm pretty sure u can find 'how to' on this forum...

cereal83
11-11-2007, 10:30 AM
The doors won't lock if a door is still open and a dome light still being on makes me think a door is still open!

Wild Weasel
11-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Yeah, that would be my guess as well. All doors and the hatch have to be properly closed.

bubba1983
11-11-2007, 02:20 PM
yeah, check your hatch. i forget to close my trunk sometimes and it won't lock...

Xerox
11-11-2007, 04:09 PM
The doors WILL lock (using remote or power lock button from inside the car) even if a door is OPEN. The car just will not honk (if you press lock from the remote multiple times).

The only time the car will not lock is if the key is in the ignition and a door is open. It will lock and immediately unlock (so that you don't lock your keys in the car).

EDIT: in addition to car not honking, the parking lights will not flash either.

Xerox
11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I drive a 2007 Hatch and just right now I unlocked my car with the remote to get something and when I tried to lock it, it wouldn't lock the car.
This may sound like a stupid question but how do you know it doesn't lock? Were you actually able to open the door or you didn't hear the honk after pressing the remote several times?
If you didn't hear the honk, read my post above.

So I tried to lock it manual from the car inside and closed the door.
And....? Did it lock?

The blue dash light won't turn off and the dome lights won't turn off. I checked to make sure the light knob was set to off and it was.

I don't know how long you have waited but those lights will stay on for a few seconds (maybe upto a minute or so). The dome light will slowly fade (theatre lighting) and the blue dash light should turn off.

Skarbro
11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
The doors WILL lock (using remote or power lock button from inside the car) even if a door is OPEN. The car just will not honk (if you press lock from the remote multiple times).

The only time the car will not lock is if the key is in the ignition and a door is open. It will lock and immediately unlock (so that you don't lock your keys in the car).
Yeah this is what I was thinking too. I've locked the doors before without a door being fully shut. The horn just doesn't honk.

McGuyver_3
11-11-2007, 11:40 PM
possibly a break in the wire but check your fuse in the pjb theres a possibility it may have popped. If not then check all others fuses because i have found on my car that the horn fuse had to deal with the brake lights not working. Mazda has some pretty funky wiring.

Dragazn
11-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks guys for all the replies.

To add to my post and to reply to the questions, I have checked to make sure all the doors were locked. I had the key in my hand when I was locking it so it is definitely not the key in the ignition. And after I tried locking it, usually I'll hear a clunk in the door, but nothing happened. The doors did not lock because I pulled it and it opened. The parking lights didn't flash and the horn didn't honk.

Now I tried it again the morning after and the door still wouldn't lock. I sat into the car and then got out of it and tried it again and suddenly it worked again. The doors locked and unlocked as if nothing was wrong.

Now the question is, does this usually happen? I've driven 3 cars before this and never had this problem.

Since the problem is solved (sort of), should I still take it to the dealer to look at? I was thinking it might be just a waste of time since the problem is no longer there and me telling them won't help at all and I would have wasted a few hours waiting for them to check it. It just worries me that it just one day stopped working and what if it happens again.

Thanks again.

Just to add to avoid confusion, the car locks if I lock it manually with my hand and close the door. When I do that, the dome lights and the blue dash light stays on as if the door was ajar. The problem started when I couldn't lock the car with the key remote.

Skarbro
11-12-2007, 05:17 AM
If it's under warranty, then by all means take it to the dealer. You're still showing weird symptoms (the dome lights and blue dash light coming on), so they can't say that they can't duplicate the problem.

Flagrum_3
11-12-2007, 07:42 AM
May be simply the remotes battery is low!? ...and your dome and blue dash lights will stay on for awhile, mine do!

_3

Skarbro
11-12-2007, 07:51 AM
May be simply the remotes battery is low!? ...and your dome and blue dash lights will stay on for awhile, mine do!

_3

Oh wait - are we talking about the blue rings around the guages that are on the higher trim models? Those are supposed to stay on for a bit after the car is locked - and so is the red light near the ingnition I believe. But the dome light is supposed to go off.

McGuyver_3
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
like stated either a low battery remote or that couls also sound like a melted fuse. They tend to work and not work when they feel like

Dragazn
11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
As of right now everything is backed to normal. Just a few questions, if the remote battery is low then how come my unlock button works, if it is the remotes problem then how come when I press the door lock in my car it does not flash the parking lights like it should.the problem is gone now so I can't bring it to the dealer but I'm worried that it is just the beginning to something expensive and it won't break until my warranty is over. I have HIDs, could that be a problem? They are the prolumen kit from SSG.

McGuyver_3
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
no the hids wont have anything to dowith this problem unless they somehow got in to your door lock wiring. As for the doors not locking may be a door lock actuator. I do not know how precise the mazda test equipment goes in to detail but maybe they can scan it and be able to pinpoint exactly what the problem is. (i am relating it to my work test equipment)
sounds more like a door lock actuator or damaged wiring or most common corroded connections

ds2chan
11-15-2007, 06:09 PM
if it happens again try the 2nd remote to see if that works. if it does then it there may be something wrong with ur 1st remote.. in which case you should get it replaced..

Dragazn
11-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the replies. So far its been a week and the problem has not shown up again.

I'm not going to bring it to the dealer yet because I don't want to wait half a day just for them to tell me that there isnt' a problem.

If it does happen again, I'll try the second remote to see if that works and then I'll bring it to the dealership.

Thanks for all your input.

southpawboston
12-25-2007, 02:25 PM
it sounds to me like the switch inside the ignition tumbler which tells the car that the key is in the ignition is sticky. when you remove the key, it thinks the key is still in the tumbler. that would explain everything you've mentioned here (domelight on, doors won't lock but you can hear the solenoids trying, remote still works to unlock, horn doesn't honk). it all points to a sticky "key in ignition" switch problem. if the problem comes back, try squirting a little WD40 into the ignition tumbler and working it in by moving the key in and out a few times. that will probably unstick it.

RallyPlaya
12-25-2007, 02:32 PM

_3

That happened to me also and i dropped the remote in the snow it didn't work for a day or two and i had to do it manually but now its bak and working

happygopi
01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Man have it checked, i had same problem and I just took it in today. they said they have to replace the PJB Box. it s covered under warrenty, otherwise $1300.

Dragazn
01-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Could you elaborate a little more? Were you having the same problems I was having? or was the lock just not working?

I have really bad luck with cars and always seems to pick up a lemon. Thanks in advance.

FONZ
01-20-2008, 07:46 PM

EDIT: in addition to car not honking, the parking lights will not flash either.

I'm not trying to start an arguement here, But I find that false, simply because I had the same problem with my car, the remote would unlock,,,but once it came to locking it, it wouldn't do so. even if I shut all my doors, the car wouldn't lock. What I did was manually unlock all doors, and than started my engine, clicked it once, turned it off, closed my doors. and bam. it worked.

Skarbro
01-21-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm not trying to start an arguement here, But I find that false, simply because I had the same problem with my car, the remote would unlock,,,but once it came to locking it, it wouldn't do so. even if I shut all my doors, the car wouldn't lock. What I did was manually unlock all doors, and than started my engine, clicked it once, turned it off, closed my doors. and bam. it worked.
Your car is not normal.