PDA

View Full Version : Too late to rustproof?

gqstunning
11-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Quick question. With the salt and everything on the road already is it too late to rustpoof?

Jeff-TheBiz
11-28-2007, 06:52 PM
not if they steam clean the bottom of the car, let it dry and then apply the rustprotection..

SilentJay
11-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Hmm... Took mine to Krown lakeshore... wonder if they steam cleaned mine first?

nicker
11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
its never too late. How ever if there was already salt laid Id powerwash the underside of the car and give it time to dry and then get my car sprayed.

3GFX
11-29-2007, 05:08 PM
The car can be wet when its sprayed the oil displaces the water, but definitly get the salt off before you go to get it sprayed.

Flagrum_3
11-30-2007, 07:31 AM
I usually take the vehicle thru a touchless car wash (with a underbody sprayer)...that seems to work well enough.When Krown sprays my vehicle, as they are applying the oil at a pretty good pressure (when underneath)...it will wash out any remnants of salt or dirt and displace any water or moisture leaving basically a clean oil covered underbody....As testiment if you were to look underneath my 2 1/2 year old vehicle, there is not a trace of rust and it looks like I just drove it out of the show room.

_3

WhiteSpeed3
11-30-2007, 08:54 AM
thumbs up to krown for no rust on a 2.5 year old car

RX9
01-16-2008, 01:17 AM
good shop always do steam clean and blowing dry first, are those black tar like paint oil based? they told me its tyfolon based and they dont use oil based since few yrs ago, oil based is not good for ruber parts.

Flagrum_3
01-16-2008, 05:29 AM
good shop always do steam clean and blowing dry first, are those black tar like paint oil based? they told me its tyfolon based and they dont use oil based since few yrs ago, oil based is not good for ruber parts.

There is no reason to steam clean or blow dry. Krown (I can't speak for RustCheck, only because I don't use them) uses an oil based but patented formulation, (It is not a tar) it will not damage any rubber or seals etc;.Believe me as I've stood underneath the vehicle as they spray and it cleans, as well as dispells dirt, water, moisture, whatever and leaves the metal clean with a coating of the formulation, its awesome stuff and keeps everything looking like new.

_3

WhiteSpeed3
01-16-2008, 06:32 AM
most places use oil based rustproof (canadian tire, walmart, krown) no matter wat they tell the material all come from the same company (this info coming from the supplier that comes and trains ppl how to do rustproof properly) now krown will prob do a better job since they do it all the time. other than that the dealership that i work at uses a rubber based rustproof witch i think is the best way to go

Flagrum_3
01-16-2008, 09:08 AM
most places use oil based rustproof (canadian tire, walmart, krown) no matter wat they tell the material all come from the same company (this info coming from the supplier that comes and trains ppl how to do rustproof properly) now krown will prob do a better job since they do it all the time. other than that the dealership that i work at uses a rubber based rustproof witch i think is the best way to go

First of all the person who told you that all "oil" comes from the same place does not know what he's talking about.Maybe some places will use a bulk type "oil" from the same supplier, but in the case or both Krown and RustCheck they have their own formula, as mentioned before Krown's formula is 'patented' and advertised as such, so it is very unlikely that others would be using the same (Unless they are under license, which I would highly dought as Krown spends tons of money on their formula to have an advantage)....As for the 'rubber' based formula used at your dealership and many others; Understand something, any undercoating that is a solid or semi-solid as in tar or rubber etc; is the worst type of coating you can use for many reasons, worst being they do not dissipate moisture (one of the main culprits in rusting), as a matter of fact it is very well known that these 'tar' & 'rubber' type undercoatings can actually trap moisture in the worst places. You don't have to take my word for it, do some research...I never take one persons word for anything, unless of course they are experts in the field.

_3

RX9
01-16-2008, 07:40 PM
after rust proof done, i can smell something like burn plastic, and last 2,3 days, is everyone has that too?

WhiteSpeed3
01-17-2008, 12:25 AM
they prob got some on the exhaust

Flagrum_3
01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
after rust proof done, i can smell something like burn plastic, and last 2,3 days, is everyone has that too?

Yeah, they spray pretty liberally underneath and in the engine compartment, (they try their best not to get any on the exhaust) but it happens. I noticed some odd burn smells the first couple of days, but it should clear...Its also a good time to clean your interior like wiping all plastic (with your preferred cleaner), windows etc; cause some of the stuff will settle in the cabin as their spraying, otherwise you'll smell the formula for a while.

_3

mprus
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
ALso got mine done on Queenway at Krown.1 Hour wait or abit more and they do everything, drill holes in doors, underneath .Quick and easy. Around $100.

NEVER TO late to do that.Winter is not here yet.

RX9
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
ALso got mine done on Queenway at Krown.1 Hour wait or abit more and they do everything, drill holes in doors, underneath .Quick and easy. Around $100.

NEVER TO late to do that.Winter is not here yet.

they drilled the holes? i wont let them do that them. maybe thats why only cost $100. hoho.......

Soyabean
03-02-2008, 02:40 AM
wait, isnt drilling holes good cuz they have the stuff inside which prevents rusting from the inside? Im confused now. So they just spray the outer part? Cuz my dads old car and the 07 sienna we bought (rust proofing done by toyota) they drilled holes and did it all for us.

p-o-g-i
03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Drilling holes is good so they can get into all the rocker panels and such. If you have holes drilled from a previous rust proof, they just use the existing holes. So don't think that every time you go that they are going to keep drilling different holes.

Soyabean
03-02-2008, 10:32 PM
yes i know. But many people say drilling holes is bad. Others say yes. Mazda doesnt drill holes, they just spray with the chemical treatment. ARGH, i gotta get mine rustproofed. Drill or no drill?

p-o-g-i
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but you can't really compare the rust proofing that Mazda does to others (like Krown). I say that if you plan on keeping your car, get the rustproofing done at Krown. Give Igor at Krown a call.... he'll let you know the difference between the spray they do compared to the ones at the dealership.

x_o_k_x
03-06-2008, 04:47 PM
thumbs up to krown for no rust on a 2.5 year old car

lol haha

Krown is good at their job

Yeah, but you can't really compare the rust proofing that Mazda does to others (like Krown). I say that if you plan on keeping your car, get the rustproofing done at Krown. Give Igor at Krown a call.... he'll let you know the difference between the spray they do compared to the ones at the dealership.

Dont relly have to call.. I can compare right now... So, In overall mazda will charge double for doing the same work as Krown does:)