PDA

View Full Version : New Rule: No bumping own fs thread

dr1ft3r
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
it gets annoying.

:gone

bubba1983
12-02-2007, 10:51 PM
cant handle one bump in a 24hours period?

its beneficial to the seller of the item...

dr1ft3r
12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
beneficial to the sellers post count maybe...

Unless there is a price change or more information added about the item, bumping won't sell an item. people see the thread yesterday...bump...nothings changed....bump next day...still nothing....bump.....same thread. maybe its just me.

chinsterr
12-02-2007, 11:14 PM
seller should be able to bump his/her own thread cause its not like every member visits this site everyday.

1 bump / 24 hrs is good :)

S.F.W.
12-02-2007, 11:48 PM
perhaps, we should just remove post count adders from the Buy/Sell section?

Kevin@nextmod
12-03-2007, 12:46 AM
beneficial to the sellers post count maybe...

Unless there is a price change or more information added about the item, bumping won't sell an item. people see the thread yesterday...bump...nothings changed....bump next day...still nothing....bump.....same thread. maybe its just me.
How many post counts can you literally get from your for sale thread? 1 a day? they already contributed 50 posts to get in. I do'nt see a reason why they will whore in there thread to increase even more post counts

EvilDeadFan
12-03-2007, 03:45 AM
That is ridiculous. What if it disappears out of sight? Sellers should have the right to visibility so that their part sells.

Skarbro
12-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Honestly, this is the only site with this level of traffic I that know of that allows sellers to bump their own FS thread. Oh well, I have some stuff to sell so maybe I'll take advantage of that.

EvilDeadFan
12-03-2007, 06:03 AM
You don't get around much, do you? I visit many forums (not just Mazda related) and it seems like its the only way to get your stuff sold fast. It works. Maybe limit it to every 4 hours or something.

Skarbro
12-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Interesting. RedFlagDeals.com has this rule in their Buy-Sell-Trade forum, which isn't unreasonable:

Bumping a thread: No more that 2 bumps per 24 hour period (00:00 - 23:59). Any post by the original poster counts as a bump, even if they are answering a question.

3GFX
12-03-2007, 09:11 AM
That is ridiculous. What if it disappears out of sight? Sellers should have the right to visibility so that their part sells.

EXACTLY....the forum sometimes picks up quick, and a FS thread may get bumped down the new threads list quite quickly.

Interesting. RedFlagDeals.com has this rule in their Buy-Sell-Trade forum, which isn't unreasonable:

I'm not sure if we've made it a rule (I think we have) but as moderator we already make sure that no one bumps more than once in a 24 hour period. We've deleted many bumps in the past.

Cardinal Fang
12-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Rules for Buy and Sell:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15662

3GFX
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
*applauds cardinal fang*

There we go, one bump a day. I was unsure before, but I do remember us changing the buy/sell section to not be included into post counts. We might as well double check, and if its not we could disable those posts.

dr1ft3r
12-03-2007, 09:40 AM
"Due to the use of Bumps/TTTs, all posts in the Classifieds section do not count towards total post count."

Not true. i just tried it.

S.F.W.
12-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I think it got changed when we recently updated the board software. I will try and re-correct later today.

FLIPDADY
12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Bump.

Every forum I've been on has it. Helps to sell your item and as long as it's one bump a day I see nothing wrong.

S.F.W.
06-22-2008, 11:38 PM
"Due to the use of Bumps/TTTs, all posts in the Classifieds section do not count towards total post count."

Not true. i just tried it.

thanks to MGM for the reminder. Did some digging and got this fixed.

mit-gee-mui
06-23-2008, 08:16 AM
thanks to MGM for the reminder. Did some digging and got this fixed.
:)

aris
06-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Bump.

Every forum I've been on has it. Helps to sell your item and as long as it's one bump a day I see nothing wrong.

x2...on a am on two other fourms for dakotas etc...and everything i have sold helped out my sale.

p-o-g-i
06-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Bump.

+1

once in a 24 hour period is bearable.

b
06-24-2008, 01:09 AM
So someone gets an extra 20 posts out of bumping in a fs thread. I could care less. I don't think my post count means anything to anyone here. Sure doesn't mean anything to me... It is just a number.

mit-gee-mui
06-24-2008, 02:59 AM
So someone gets an extra 20 posts out of bumping in a fs thread. I could care less. I don't think my post count means anything to anyone here. Sure doesn't mean anything to me... It is just a number.
Honestly, I feel the same way too i.e. post count means nothing to me, and I'm sure many older members feel that way too.

(Maybe the post counts of "active" members can one day be taken away and replaced with the word "active" or something or other. But then that raises another issue of where to draw the line between "active" and "non-active". I guess leaving it is just less of a hassle.)

BUT for someone who registers on tm3 and "bumps" a whole bunch of fs threads (whether or not they know the original poster), specifically so that they can get a high enough post count to start their own fs thread, it DOES mean something. (This has happened in the past.) THAT is why post counts were taken out of that section.

TheProfessor
06-24-2008, 09:00 AM
I think that bumps should be allowed, but there should be a set guideline (i.e. one bump per 24 hour period).

I could care less whether posts in the FS section counts towards your post count. As a matter of fact, why do we even need post counts?

LockOut
06-24-2008, 09:06 AM
I think that bumps should be allowed, but there should be a set guideline (i.e. one bump per 24 hour period).

I could care less whether posts in the FS section counts towards your post count. As a matter of fact, why do we even need post counts?
I agree. As a (fairly) new poster, I found that sometimes the higher post counts could be intimidating. I don't really know why, but I did. You look at post counts and you judge, or think you're going to be judged, just because you have x number of posts. Sometimes, if you disagree with someone, but they have a high post count, you may not put your opinion in, because said person is established in the forum...
Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I mean, I got over it, but it can be a deterrent for some people.

yearoftherat
06-24-2008, 09:43 AM
IMHO a post count means nothing. If you're a post whore that doesn't make you established on the forum.

EvilEric
06-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree. As a (fairly) new poster, I found that sometimes the higher post counts could be intimidating. I don't really know why, but I did. You look at post counts and you judge, or think you're going to be judged, just because you have x number of posts. Sometimes, if you disagree with someone, but they have a high post count, you may not put your opinion in, because said person is established in the forum...
Maybe it's just me, I don't know. I mean, I got over it, but it can be a deterrent for some people.

Just don't look at the number. I agree with YOTR that it really mean anything, except to those who care about getting a higher number.

bunchi
06-24-2008, 01:59 PM
IMO people should be allowed to bump their own FS thread to remind others that hey, I'm still selling this, anoybody or anybody you know looking for something like this? or else the thread would justget forgotten.

and the post count, yes, it's just numbers, there's no contest running in here for the most post counts or something like that. :)

S.F.W.
06-24-2008, 02:02 PM
ok, I'm closing this thread. You can bump your own FS thread once per day. Post count in BST section will no longer count.