PDA

View Full Version : Pro Kits and Railed Car Washes

WeatherB
12-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Anyone have problems going to railed car washes with their car lowered on pro kits?

I was fine until I installed my winter tires (205/55R16) and now something is scrapping. I have a feeling that it's the plastic sweeper piece that is at the front of the car right under the front bumper.

royroy
12-28-2007, 02:09 AM
i had no problem with my old 3 before.. but i kno those rails were scratching my rims -.-
so i never went bak

WeatherB
12-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey Roy, did you have winter tires on yours back then? Mine was fine until I installed the winter tires.

I think it's because the winter tires are 16" so they are already a bit smaller than my stock tires and not to mention that they sag more due to the bigger side-walls.

b
12-28-2007, 07:30 PM
I've only been to the petro railed car wash in burlington 1 time. I got stuck. They had to drop the tracks and get me out. I wasn't stuck far... Maybe 2 feet in. I was on my summer 17" when it happened 18 months ago maybe.

Tokic_o
12-28-2007, 09:11 PM
now I'm afraid to go put my car through a railed car wash. Prokits is too low for rails? damnn

Videcak
12-28-2007, 09:22 PM
The question is, why would you go through a railed car wash in a lowered car in the first place, let alone any car?

WeatherB
12-29-2007, 11:31 AM
The question is, why would you go through a railed car wash in a lowered car in the first place, let alone any car?

LOL. Because it fit fine with my summer tires.

b
12-29-2007, 12:59 PM

If the esso touchless is broken and you need a wash because you are going to a work meeting...

Flagrum_3
12-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Best bet I think is to avoid railed carwash's altogether....Its just not worth the chance imho.There seems to be lots of railess washes around nowadays and....if all else fails you could always use a coin wash, just be careful you don't get your work suit all wet.:chuckle

By the way I've found a place that will hand wash, dry, vacuum and dress tires for $25 cash....Would you guys pay that or is it too expensive? Since I don't have any means of washing my own car and I like to have it hand washed atleast once a month in winter (to really get the grime off ) I think its worth it....comments?

_3

-RJ3-
12-30-2007, 01:25 PM
If your going to a meet or car show and you need to detail your car last minute... 25 is worth the money.

b
12-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I agree. I would say it is worth the money if you are doing it once a month. I would spend more than that in beer in a night at a pub.

Tokic_o
12-31-2007, 12:17 AM
well, today i went to Shell for a touchless but railed car wash (im on prokits). Had no problems at all going through the wash. To be honest I was really skeptical about going but I had a carwash ticket I needed to use so I ended up trying.

On the side,
Is it just me or do all these washes not clean my hatch very well?

WeatherB
12-31-2007, 08:38 AM
I think that is common to touchless washes. You need soft-cloth for the best clean IMO.

zedtech
12-31-2007, 10:03 AM
The only touchless wash that I have found success w/ is the Sunoco ones that have you park in the middle and the nozzles go around your car. The only spot any automated car wash doesn't seem to clean for my hatch is the rear windshield area just under the spoiler, but that's expected imo.

WeatherB
01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
The Sunoco at Red Maple does a good job...

I think the main difference between the Sunoco and Esso touchless washes is that, the Sunoco sprays soap twice.

Flagrum_3
01-07-2008, 08:17 AM
I think that is common to touchless washes. You need soft-cloth for the best clean IMO.

The problem with soft-cloth washes is the spider web scratches they can produce on your finish, those cloths pick up (hard) particles from previous vehicles and get inbedded, then rub against your paint...not a good thing! .......I've found that the Shell and Esso "computer" washes, which go around the vehicle seem to do the best job.But they will never get all the grime off thats why you should hand wash once a month atleast, it really makes a difference.

_3

notoriousb
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Try the GLIDE wash at petro. Only some of the petro's have it. It puts ur car on a conveyor belt and u get to choose between cloth and touchless. There are no rails either.

Also, their premium wash includes vaccum and shampoo as well. I get it with my petro points.