PDA

View Full Version : Warranty question

Mel
01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
We're about to buy a new Mazda 3 and have questions about the extended warranty. The brochure doesn't really clarify the difference between the two categories, comprehensive and major components.

I understand it comes with the 3 year, 80,000 km comprehensive and 5 year, 100,000km major component. My question is, what are the specific type of items that the comprehensive covers? We're trying to figure out if it is actually worth the extended warranty. Are most things that would normally go wrong with a car covered under the major component portion? I'm not looking for a laundry list of items that are covered, just want to get some examples of what is covered under each type. Thanks

MPS
01-01-2008, 02:59 PM
just keep the warranty that comes with the car and then when the time come extend the warranty if you need it
there is no point in it now

SpeedBaby
01-01-2008, 03:06 PM
pretty much everything will be covered for the first 3 years under your regular warranty. The only difference within that period is that you will be eligible for a rental if your car stays overnight, which is really rare anyways, unless you got reall bad luck with cars. If you will be keeping your car for more than 3 years then you might consider extending your warranty when that time comes, but at this point I don't think it's really worth it.

Plus if you are planning on modifying your car, there is no point in paying extra just to get banned from 2 warranties lol

FLIPDADY
01-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Are you buying or leasing the car? If you're buying it I would certainly recommend the extended warranty. I can tell you that many customers are glad they purchased the warranty. It helps you down the road if there were some repairs that are needed once the regular warranty is expired.

For example some engine components such as water pump, cooling fan, suspension parts like shocks/struts would be covered after the regular warranty period expires.

Jeff-TheBiz
01-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Nevermind MPS's outlook on it, he has no intentions of paying for your repairs after the 3yr/80,000km.

If you are considering the extended warranty, check out the thread in this section answering most FAQs.

Also call me.. I am Business Manager at Mazda of Toronto, and I normally have a promotion on the Extended Warranty.

Jeff

(416) 642-7777

SpeedBaby
01-01-2008, 09:34 PM
um....i know that Jeff indeed has a lot of experience selling the extended warranty and knows quite a bit about it's benefits, but i don't see how purchasing it when purchasing the car adds value to the customer compared to purchasing it in 3 years?

i'm not saying that you shouldn't buy it at all shall you decide to keep your car for longer than the 3 years, but just kn case if you decide to change cars within that period of time, the money spent on the extended warranty will be basically wasted.

Jeff-TheBiz
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
First off, if you buy it after 12 months or 20,000km you will be charged a surcharge based on your current kms on the car at time of purchase. (Currently the surcharge is $5 per 1000 km on the car at time of purchase plus tax)

Second M.A.P. Warranty prices get reviewed for an increase approx every 6 months. The last increase was in July 07. When you decide to buy the Warranty, you pay whatever the price is when you buy it... You can wait but it is not the smartest thing to do.

MPS
01-01-2008, 11:05 PM
and what if you sell ur car ???
or an accident ???
where is that warranty now ?
i think best thing to do is get it when you need it
or just get 3/80 just for rental its like $400
then extend after

Jeff-TheBiz
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
and what if you sell ur car ???
or an accident ???
where is that warranty now ?
i think best thing to do is get it when you need it
or just get 3/80 just for rental its like $400
then extend after

If you sell your car, expect to get more for it.

If you are in an accident and you write it off, expect a partial refund from Mazda providing you haven't used it.

As for the rental, no one buys the 36/80, it makes no scense.

if you decide to purchase MAP after delivery just to get a free rental, expect to wait 30 days for the rental coverage to kick in.

Please Vlad, stick to the performance and kick ass appearance mod questions, Extended Warranty is not your expertise.

SpeedBaby
01-01-2008, 11:42 PM
wow jeff, who pissed in your corn flakes this morning?!

vlad's been only expressing his point of view on the issue (which i tend to agree with).
and unlike a sales person he doesn't get a commission and/nor points for that.

it was just his two cent that's all, no need to get all agitated.

Jeff-TheBiz
01-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Not agitated, maybe a little hung over... didn't mean to come off that way.

He and anyone else can espress their point of view just as I was.

And it would have been Captain Crunch, this morning.

I should also mention I will not be challenging him on anything he posts on how to keep a car clean, as I know nothing about that, and I have seen just how spotless his/your car are, and my car is always filthy.

Flagrum_3
01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
We're about to buy a new Mazda 3 and have questions about the extended warranty. The brochure doesn't really clarify the difference between the two categories, comprehensive and major components.

I understand it comes with the 3 year, 80,000 km comprehensive and 5 year, 100,000km major component. My question is, what are the specific type of items that the comprehensive covers? We're trying to figure out if it is actually worth the extended warranty. Are most things that would normally go wrong with a car covered under the major component portion? I'm not looking for a laundry list of items that are covered, just want to get some examples of what is covered under each type. Thanks

You can find exactly what each warranty covers on the Mazda.ca site, just do some searching....If you intend on keeping the vehicle long term and if you know that right now, go for the extended now....If on the other hand, your not sure, wait till you know for sure if you'll keep it or not.But like the Biz said its a good selling point to have extended warranty(aslong as its transferable), if you do decide to get rid of it.

_3

Mel
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We bought the car this evening over the phone with Jeff. Ridiculous how easy that was and we got a much better deal than we could have here in St. Catharines!!!

Oh ya, we decided to get the extended warranty. If we keep this car as long as we've had our Integra (10 years!) it should be a solid investment. Can't wait to pick it up!

Jeff-TheBiz
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We bought the car this evening over the phone with Jeff. Ridiculous how easy that was and we got a much better deal than we could have here in St. Catharines!!!

Oh ya, we decided to get the extended warranty. If we keep this car as long as we've had our Integra (10 years!) it should be a solid investment. Can't wait to pick it up!

Thanx again guys.

Let me know if you didn't get my followup email.

Tokic_o
01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm just curious, would they have to come to MOT from st. catherines to pickup the car then? How would they get it? lol

Jeff-TheBiz
01-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Yup... It is worth the drive...

Soyabean
01-03-2008, 07:27 PM
You can buy cars over the phone now? lol. Wow, technology has really improved hahaha.
congrats on ur purchase. Im still waiting on the right car.... just cant decide upon the 2008.5 one or the 2009 which has the so called 2.5 engine in it.

MikeyGT
01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey all,

This might be a stupid question but seems like its relevent to what Jeff just mentioned.

I got my car in Markham Mazda (bad choice I know ><) and I do plan on getting my waranty extended. Good thing Jeff mentioned that the later i wait, the more pricy it gets (especially after 1yr), so moving forward, is it possible for me to get my extended warranty in a different dealer? I really dont want to have anything to do with Markham Mazda.

:blush

b
01-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I can't see why you couldn't get it from a diff dealer. I would think that if any dealer will cover any warranty work that you should be able to get the warranty there too.

I could be wrong...

Jeff-TheBiz
01-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey all,

This might be a stupid question but seems like its relevent to what Jeff just mentioned.

I got my car in Markham Mazda (bad choice I know ><) and I do plan on getting my waranty extended. Good thing Jeff mentioned that the later i wait, the more pricy it gets (especially after 1yr), so moving forward, is it possible for me to get my extended warranty in a different dealer? I really dont want to have anything to do with Markham Mazda.

:blush

I can't see why you couldn't get it from a diff dealer. I would think that if any dealer will cover any warranty work that you should be able to get the warranty there too.

I could be wrong...

Absolutely...

Call me with the VIN handy and current kms, and I will do what I can.

dsichewski
01-05-2008, 12:56 AM

congrates on the car! I bought my car over the phone from Jeff and I live in Kitchener....no one here could even come close to matching what Jeff had to offer....He definatly takes care of his customers!!! :D

Happy zooming

Skarbro
01-05-2008, 07:23 AM
just keep the warranty that comes with the car and then when the time come extend the warranty if you need it
there is no point in it now
I don't see how you can determine later on if you need a warranty? Unless you know that the car is damaged or something is about to fail? I'm sure that something like that would be scrutinized.

To me the only time to get an extended warranty would be in the beginning when its the cheapest.

Anyway, the bottom line is that extended warranties are a gamble. You pay a premium for piece of mind.

Personally, I never get them because I'm betting that most of these cars would never need them - but they certainly come in handy for the small percentage that do.

PolarBear
01-11-2008, 11:41 PM
I'll tell you my point. What are the most expensive repairs. I think they are engine and automatic tranny (if you have one) So for these items you get 5 years and 100K.
If you buy an extended warranty than you're buying peace of mind for extra 2 years or 60K or even less if you drive less that 23K per year on average. Having said that I don't feel that paying over $1500 is really justified. What do you think guys?

Malcolm991
01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I have my 3 covered bumper to bumper for 140km or 7 years for $1000

Jeff-TheBiz
01-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I'll tell you my point. What are the most expensive repairs. I think they are engine and automatic tranny (if you have one) So for these items you get 5 years and 100K.
If you buy an extended warranty than you're buying peace of mind for extra 2 years or 60K or even less if you drive less that 23K per year on average. Having said that I don't feel that paying over $1500 is really justified. What do you think guys?

For someone driving 23K a year, the best option is the 6yr/160,000km for $1474

After your 3yr/80,000km is finished typically a breakdown will be a minimum cost of $200 ($100 for a tow seeing as how your roadside assistance is gone and approx $100 for the diagnostic) and this is before they actually know what is wrong with the car.

Absolutely correct about the piece of mind comment.. that is all it is.

I have my 3 covered bumper to bumper for 140km or 7 years for $1000

It isn't Mazda Added Protection Warranty, probably a third party FCPP or Global... etc M.A.P. doesn't have a 7/140.