PDA

View Full Version : Speed3 fluids... diff, brakes, coolant etc. what did you go with?

Unoriginalusername
01-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Looking to dump some of the fluids when i bring the car out of storage, what do you have, where did you get, how much and do you like it?

LSD/Tranny

Since MT-90 does not contain friction modifyers for a LSD, it should only be used with redline limited slip friction modifyer added to it.

I'll go with Amsoil MTG (you could also use SVG). I sent them the specs of the LSD and what the manual recommends (GL-4, 75W90, etc) and they told me that both should be fine. I have dealer close to here and will try it out. Amsoil also recommended that I have a bottle of friction modifier (ADA) just in case there would be chatter.

Brakes
Heard that valvoline synthetic is good, any others?

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.html
23. Basic brake fluid & fluid maintenance information.
Brake fluid is hydroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. When new from the bottle, it can be considered "dry" with a higher boiling point. Over time, brake fluid absorbs water lowering its boiling point to the "wet" level. Changing brake fluid removes water from the brake system and is extremely important. Change your brake fluid at least every two years … much more often for cars that see track use.For street cars, wet boiling point numbers are more important than dry because the fluid stays in your car for a long time (change it at least every two years). After months of exposure to humid air and changing climate conditions, brake fluid performance is closer to the wet boiling point than the dry boiling point. When brake fluid boils, it turns into vapor and forms air bubbles. This creates a “soft pedal” and requires excessive pedal travel to apply the brakes properly. Do not confuse this with "brake fade". Brake fade occurs when the brake compound gets too hot from prolonged braking or improper bedding. Brake fade requires greater and greater pedal effort to stop the vehicle; boiling fluid increases pedal travel and makes the pedal feel soft.Due to the extreme temperatures that high performance brake systems operate at, standard brake fluids are not recommended for track use.Carbotech™ Performance Brakes does not sell and does not recommend silicone based brake fluid with any of its products. For more information, please scroll down to “A Word of Caution”.

Coolant
Any recomendations?

Motor oil
I have mobil 1 in currently

REZXPERT
01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
i can only speak to motor oil as i haven't changed the others yet.... just turned 11K.
Mobil 1.

CanadaGTO
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm running Redline MT-90 in the tranny and Redline 5w30 in the engine. I've been really happy with both, running the car in all weather conditions.

As you've seen from some of the responses on M3F.com, many are running MT-90 with no issues, the friction modifier (used to reduce chatter) is not needed in the MS3 :) The Amsoil is good too though.

Patrique

midnightfxgt
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Redline makes nice stuff all around, and I personally like the Royal Purple line up. My Fluids are a mix mash from the two companies.

azn_outlaw
01-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Try running all Motul products, best stuff found on the market and even better the Mobile1

some examples of Motul Products:

Motul 300V HighRPM
Motul DOT 4 Brake Fluid
Motul 75W90 Gear Oil

sjd
01-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm running the Motul...