PDA

View Full Version : EBC Redstuff (ceramic) Review

Fuman
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Would not recommend you get these I found out there were fitment issues. It doesn't fit in the calipers snuggly. After a year, I got noise at weird times. It was the calipers moving. MOT took care of it for me (not under warranty).
Product Website:

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/redstuffinfo.html
Part #: Front - DP31524C / Rear - DP31354C; Note: These pads aren't unique to our cars. A few other cars share the exact same part #.

I got these for just over a week. Wanted to do a write-up before I forget how the break-in phase was. I installed this on 6 months old front blank rotors and brand new rear blank rotors.

Break-in phase squealing
These Pads are suppose to squeal during break-in then stop. (They'll squeal on cold mornings like OEM pads, even if they are broken-in). NOTE: All squealing described is during light-moderate braking.

They do squeal during break-in, they squeal bad. Not painfully bad, just embarrassingly bad. However, yesterday after an emergency stop, the squealing when up to painfully bad + ppl give me the finger bad (no joke, ppl gave me the finger at the light when the squealing went up in intensity); this was at -8 degrees Celsius.

Today(Jan 26/2008) at -3 degrees Celsius, the squealing finally stopped. It squealed a wee-bit as I backed out of the driveway but never squealed after. Hopefully it'll stay that way. (I don't think it is the temperature though, cause it was still squealing earlier on in the week)
Edit: Squealing was actually there, it is ALOT better than yesterday. Back to embarrassing level. My music drowned it out before

Jan 27, 2008 - at around 0 degrees Celsius - the squeal is still there 90/100 of the time. 5/100 is the LOUD squeal, ppl at the bus stop looked up, only to see a Mazda 3... lol. 5/100 no squeal

I have e-mailed EBC regarding the intense squeal.

Pad Bite
Remember how sensitive the brakes were when your Mazda 3 was brand new? The brakes felt like they were either on/off. However, as the OEM pads get older, the bite become less (or we got used to it). Well, that feeling is back. The bite is impressive, it does stop the car quicker than OEMs(compared to broke-in OEMs)

Brake pedal feeling
My brake pedal can travel quite a bit with little effort. After that, then I have to put a wee bit of strength into it.

Brake pedal sensitivity
Initially, the brake pedal was really sensitive. I'd say between 50-75% more sensitive then when OEMs were brand new. There's adequate braking power in the 'little effort' phase (see above).

Temperature sensitivity
Initially they were extremely sensitively. After one or two 80-0KM/h stops, the brakes will feel like they are off or on. It is a lot better now (i.e. less sensitive).

Brake Dust
N/A, I'm on black-steelies at the moment.

Brakes when wet
Just went to a car wash. Braking power is severely impacted. Does dry quick though.

Post break-in phase
If there is rust on the brakes, the "I go and hide my face" squeal is heard until rust is gone.
If there is no rust, there is still a minor squeal. People still thinks my car is a bus.

Flagrum_3
01-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Nice write-up Fuman...Haha you must have said squealing about 20 times in there:chuckle

Would be nice to hear the next review when the pads are a little more worked in or/and the temps are warmer.

_3

Fuman
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Nice write-up Fuman...Haha you must have said squealing about 20 times in there:chuckle

Would be nice to hear the next review when the pads are a little more worked in or/and the temps are warmer.

_3

hahaha yeah... squeal is a big issue with these pads. Its embarrassing man. I'm gonna go HPS or HP+ next time... see if they fair better.
Updated 1st with more squealing information

Fuman
03-03-2008, 01:31 AM
added some post-break in notes. (see first post)

CanadaGTO
03-03-2008, 05:19 AM
Great write up Fuman.... but one question..... Did you get any squeeling at all ?? :)

A brave man taking the jump on these, word was that they had noise issues, and you seem to have proved it. Keep us updated though, maybe it gets better over time.

Of course if anyone is interested in these, let me know since we carry EBC along with the popular Hawk line.

PlatMS6
03-03-2008, 05:50 AM
All EBC will do is offer shims... I had Greens in the rear of the 3, after 2-3k thousand squeeling was still there (just like you describe it... like a friggin bus!)

TurboEight
03-06-2008, 12:25 PM
HAWK Ceramics FTW man...

nice write of though..(won't be getting these).....

I haven't heard much if any good things about EBC greens or REDS...

I have a set of Project Mu's waiting to be put on...I l let you guys know how that works out.

Fuman
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
All EBC will do is offer shims... I had Greens in the rear of the 3, after 2-3k thousand squeeling was still there (just like you describe it... like a friggin bus!)
i've been wondering what the shims are.
supposedly they are already on my pads, but I'm still sounding like a bus.

EBC never replied to my e-mail =(

Fuman
06-21-2008, 11:42 AM
updated first post.
if you are lazy to read, just don't get these.

TurboEight
06-22-2008, 02:05 PM
^^ lol

i was going to read it until you said if you're too lazy to read don't get these

and I actually ended up not read...

btw what are you running now then?

Fuman
06-22-2008, 04:50 PM
^^ lol

i was going to read it until you said if you're too lazy to read don't get these

and I actually ended up not read...

btw what are you running now then?

stocks up front, still red stuff in the rear.