PDA

View Full Version : Any how tos for blacking out emblems?

monty0501
01-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all,
I've been looking for a while on how to do this, but have not had any luck.
Just wondering if there is a write up to black out the chrome emblems on the 3.

I heard you have to sand down the originals and then black them out with model paint (please confirm).

Also, how do I remove the emblems off the car to do this?

Any assistance or direction you can give will be extremely appreciated.
Thanks.
Monty

sunnyhomeboy
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
ya i wanna find how out to how to do this too~
hey monty u gonna do it just to the front? or back emblem also?

sunny.

1flycdnM3
01-30-2008, 03:09 PM
I haven't tried this obviously, but I would think the best way would be too use sandpaper to remove any imperfections and help to make the paint "stick" to the emblem. Use a fine grit to keep it smooth. Then just spray paint. I would think that will do the trick, might be easier ways though.

You can purchase spray paint from a Napa automotive paint store to get an exact match or just get any black spray paint from CT.

This is just one suggestion, but i am pretty sure it will work.

As for removing emblems, ive heard many different things. Not sure the easiest way so i wont suggest anything here.

cwp_sedan
01-30-2008, 03:20 PM
People have also done it this way. http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=61104.0

Just becareful when mixing the liquids, etc.

SonicBoy
01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
And also be careful if you do Bake after painting. You don't want to use the same oven for food. Big No No there!

sunnyhomeboy
01-30-2008, 04:03 PM
sounds like a plan...
so when we gonna do this???
n e other ppl interested?
LETZ DO IT>>>>>>>>

sunny.

plontoc
01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
It's easy. Just remember that the "Flying M" and "Mazda" logos on the back has 2 or 3 clips along with double sided tape.

The "3" is just tape.

monty0501
01-30-2008, 05:54 PM
sounds like a plan...
so when we gonna do this???
n e other ppl interested?
LETZ DO IT>>>>>>>>

sunny.

Hey thanks everyone for the great info!
Yes I'm planning on doing the front and back.
I might even do my parents CX-7 at the same time.
I'm ready to do this whenever...so are you thinking a "Group blackout???"

Skarbro
01-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Remove the emblems.
Sand them with fine grit to rough them up. You don't have to sand all the "chrome" paint.
Put a few layers of primer.
Paint with automotive paint.
Put back emblems.

Easy as pie.

sunnyhomeboy
01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the great info!
Yes I'm planning on doing the front and back.
I might even do my parents CX-7 at the same time.
I'm ready to do this whenever...so are you thinking a "Group blackout???"

serious eh...
group blackout sounds like a good thread title?
how about start a thread and get more ppl that's interested...im sure quite a few ppl wanna do this too~!!!

sunny.

Noisy Crow
01-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Has anyone tried making new emblems? Maybe using an OEM one as a template and some casting resin?

Tokic_o
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
if I want a flat black look, do I just spray them with black paint after I sand them? Or should I still spray a few layers of primer first?

WhiteSpeed3
01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
always do primer

Tokic_o
01-31-2008, 12:21 AM
any recommendations of which brand of primer and spray paint to buy? from CT?

WhiteSpeed3
01-31-2008, 07:12 AM
well i sprayed my winter wheel and i used dupli color primer and paint

its very good stuff

Skarbro
01-31-2008, 08:00 AM
CDN Tire has automotive primer. Good in all kinds of temperatures.

WhiteSpeed3
01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
ya i used the automotive primer

Unoriginalusername
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
And also be careful if you do Bake after painting. You don't want to use the same oven for food. Big No No there!

why? coming from a person who has done this several times

monty0501
01-31-2008, 11:33 AM
sorry i think im confused....
what do we have to bake again?

matt9
01-31-2008, 07:18 PM
Anybody black out the emblems on a Caron Grey car? I am curious as to what it would look like..

MAZDA Kitten
02-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Remove the emblems.
Sand them with fine grit to rough them up. You don't have to sand all the "chrome" paint.
Put a few layers of primer.
Paint with automotive paint.
Put back emblems.

Easy as pie.

What Skar said...

I've done this
I didnt even sand mine though
Use ADHESIVE PRIMER its clear and it leaves a matte finish
I used flat black paint and it just do light coats every 10 mins or so
Mine have held up amazingly well with no retouching necessary

There is absolutely no need for baking

MAZDA Kitten
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Anybody black out the emblems on a Caron Grey car? I am curious as to what it would look like..

It would look sick. Do it
Cleans it up very nicely

plontoc
02-01-2008, 11:37 AM

I did...looks amazing.
I'll try and find a pic when I get home from the office.

If I have to take one today, be warned...DIRTY CAR:chuckle

sunnyhomeboy
02-02-2008, 11:15 AM

that is what i intend to do.

sunny.

monty0501
02-03-2008, 10:39 AM
So last question I have is:
how hard is it to put the emblems back on the car? I heard 3M tape doesnt hold up that well?

Unoriginalusername
02-03-2008, 11:26 AM

why can't you use the oven for food after using it to dry something that has been painted?

cwp_sedan
02-03-2008, 11:43 AM
how hard is it to put the emblems back on the car? I heard 3M tape doesnt hold up that well?

Not sure where you heard that but the 3M tape that I have works very well. As long as the surface is clean and the temperature is good you shouldn't have a problem. All of the emblems, except the 3 have either plugs or clips. The tape only needs to hold it a little bit.

matt9
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
To be honest, I have only seen blacked out emblems on white and black sedans.. maybe red. And they do look quite good.

Still somewhat skeptical on the Carbon Grey..

MAZDA Kitten
02-03-2008, 03:37 PM

You heard wrong

I've had my 3M lip hold up for 3 years now (hot summers, cold winters), plus all my emblems etc. Not including a lot of shit on my bf's Jetta and GTI

You have to use 3m doubleside tape for outdoor use (red backing) it holds up amazingly to outdoor elements

http://www.keysan.com/pic100/MMM4011_1_2_100.jpg

cwp_sedan
02-03-2008, 05:03 PM
You have to use 3m doubleside tape for outdoor use (red backing) it holds up amazingly to outdoor elements

http://www.keysan.com/pic100/MMM4011_1_2_100.jpg

+1

monty0501
02-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help:)
Looking forward to doing this, maybe better when the weather gets a little warmer to remove the emblems...

TYLERM7
02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
idk if you have done it yet, but i just painted mine last night. didnt mix any chemicals, or try any science experiments either.

i went to autozone here in U.S and bought whats called "etching primer"... its made specifically for painting metals (chrome finish on badges).

all i did was pop the badges off, use some SUPER fine sand paper just to rough up the surface/ edges. use several coats of the "etching primer" and sand lightly in between each coat. its gunna be a hidious shade of green, but dont worry. JUST THE PRIMER. after 4 or 5 LIGHT coats of the primer, start the painting process. using the same steps as the primer. paint a coat; then sand a little. etc. use a clear coat for the finish if desired, but i went flat black with mine, so no clear coat here.

ill post pictures tomorrow. left camera at home. hope this helps

mEtH
02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
If you plan on painting your front emblem you might want to consider painting them with one of the Mazda colours because it will be prone to chipping. If you atleast use a Mazda colour you can use the touch up paint to fix it up. Also, if you paint the front emblem, take it off during the winter because the salt will tear it apart!

All my emblems were dont black mica and I plan to do the same on this one.

matt9
02-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Would someone please post what black emblems look like on a Carbon Grey!

Noisy Crow
03-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I did...looks amazing.
I'll try and find a pic when I get home from the office.

If I have to take one today, be warned...DIRTY CAR:chuckle

Did you ever get a chance to take some pics? I'm thinking of blacking out the emblems on my CG Sedan.... wouldn't mind seeing how it looks.

tinythetiger
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
does anyone have a pic of blacked out emblems on a black 3?

Unoriginalusername
03-01-2008, 10:00 PM

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/xcashmerex/MS3/Good%20Pictures/DSC00556.jpg

Noisy Crow
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM

There's some good pics on M3F...check out this page (plus the rest of the thread):
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=61104.270

tinythetiger
03-01-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks :) i thought it'd look odd without the contrast, but it looks alright

tinythetiger
03-01-2008, 10:02 PM
+ thanks to noisy crow as well

matt9
03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Someone asks for blacked out emblems on a black car and instantly there are pics there :P Where are the blacked out emblems on the Carbon grey!

Noisy Crow
03-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Since we are asking :) .... If anyone has done body-colour carbon grey I'd like to see that too... I'm thinking that would look much better than black on carbon grey.

I'm seriously thinking about blacking out (okay, darkening I guess!) my whole car... the black winter steelies have inspired me, I guess.

dereklandon
03-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Carbon Grey:

http://www.freewebs.com/dereklandonwong/newtails.jpg

Noisy Crow
03-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Very nice! Thanks for putting up the pic!

kid_icarus
03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
any quick suggestions on how to pop off the mazda emblems on the front and back? aka the BIG M

i don't wanna mess up the paint
so how do you pop the pins off?
do i just tug on it?

i've already removed the "mazdaspeed 3" badges no problem.

Skarbro
03-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Carbon Grey:

http://www.freewebs.com/dereklandonwong/newtails.jpg

LOL I love the new driver sign.

Noisy Crow
03-22-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm probably going to paint my emblems in gunmetal or similar. I want them to standout, but not jump at you like the chrome does. This is on my CG sedan. Does anyone have any recommendations for paint? I'm going to use etching primer and put some sort of marine-grade clearcoat on the top... but what about the actual colour coat itself? I'm going to be getting an Axela emblem from Flippy, so I will probably practice on that one first....

Thanks!

M3!
03-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Someone asks for blacked out emblems on a black car and instantly there are pics there :P Where are the blacked out emblems on the Carbon grey!

I've got a carbon grey, was considering blacking out emblems as well, but I think the black stands out a little too much. My $0.02, I'm thinking of painting the same colour as car, but gonna photoshop it to see what it will look like first. I'll try to post up pics.

Noisy Crow
03-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I've got a carbon grey, was considering blacking out emblems as well, but I think the black stands out a little too much. My $0.02, I'm thinking of painting the same colour as car, but gonna photoshop it to see what it will look like first. I'll try to post up pics.

I'd be very interested to see what that looks like. I think the rear emblems would look great, but I'm not so sure about the one on the nose... part of the reason I was leaning toward gunmetal.

matt9
03-22-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd be very interested to see what that looks like. I think the rear emblems would look great, but I'm not so sure about the one on the nose... part of the reason I was leaning toward gunmetal.

+1 to photoshop carbon grey emblems.

Skarbro
03-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow I can't believe how long this thread is for such a simple thing. I've painted so many emblems now. Just did one last week as a matter of fact. My paint never comes off. Just sand the chrome so that it's rough. Use automotive primer - like 3-4 thin coats. Then use automotive paint - 3-4 thin coats. I don't even use clear coat.

-RJ3-
03-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Search in Mazda3forums, some guy actually vinyled his logo.. looks so pro and clean... I thought it was painted till he posted the link

M3!
03-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Not the greatest photoshop job, but didn't have much time.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/SIMGOR/Mazda3.jpg

kid_icarus
03-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Wow I can't believe how long this thread is for such a simple thing. I've painted so many emblems now. Just did one last week as a matter of fact. My paint never comes off. Just sand the chrome so that it's rough. Use automotive primer - like 3-4 thin coats. Then use automotive paint - 3-4 thin coats. I don't even use clear coat.

hey skarbro

can you throw some tips at me??

i have no problem with the actual "painting" part
it all seems pretty straightforward

however, why do some ppl buy new blacked out emblems or why buy new emblems and then paint them black?

if i pop off the current ones and paint them... would there be a huge issue putting them back onto the car?

also can you give me tips on how to remove the back emblems and and the front
i know the front is help by four cliips... but do i simply "pull" the clips outwards and push??

i just don't wanna snap anything

Skarbro
03-24-2008, 04:56 PM
hey skarbro

can you throw some tips at me??

i have no problem with the actual "painting" part
it all seems pretty straightforward

however, why do some ppl buy new blacked out emblems or why buy new emblems and then paint them black?

if i pop off the current ones and paint them... would there be a huge issue putting them back onto the car?

also can you give me tips on how to remove the back emblems and and the front
i know the front is help by four cliips... but do i simply "pull" the clips outwards and push??

i just don't wanna snap anything
It's not a huge issue at all to remove and replace the badges on the back. You have to use some 3M double-sided tape to replace them - make sure you use the outdoor red stuff. To remove them, you can use dental floss with a sawing motion. It helps a lot if the emblems have been sitting in the hot sun. You can also use a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen the glue.

If the front emblem on the Speed3 is the same, then I believe you push all 4 clips in. It's really easy to remove. It will be quite obvious.

The OEM blacked out emblems are specially chrome plated I believe. You can't quite get the same effect with paint.

Personally, I like the way the paint turns out when you do it carefully.

cwp_sedan
03-24-2008, 05:04 PM
There is actually 5 clips on the front emblem. 1 on the top, 1 on both sides and 2 little ones on the bottom.

EDIT: Actually I might have been mistaken but I could have swore my emblem on the front had 5 clips :S

I just sanded, primed and painted my front emblem as a test this past weekend and it looks great! I'm happy with the result and it was easy as pie.

Noisy Crow
03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I've discovered that some people are using VHT spray window tint on their emblems....

kid_icarus
03-24-2008, 06:38 PM
It's not a huge issue at all to remove and replace the badges on the back. You have to use some 3M double-sided tape to replace them - make sure you use the outdoor red stuff. To remove them, you can use dental floss with a sawing motion. It helps a lot if the emblems have been sitting in the hot sun. You can also use a blow dryer or heat gun to loosen the glue.

If the front emblem on the Speed3 is the same, then I believe you push all 4 clips in. It's really easy to remove. It will be quite obvious.

The OEM blacked out emblems are specially chrome plated I believe. You can't quite get the same effect with paint.

Personally, I like the way the paint turns out when you do it carefully.

ahh!!! i didn't realize the flying M emblem at the back is actually non clipped on.
that's easy then.

as for the "red" 3m double sided tape.... doesn't it stick out when you stick the emblem back on? aka won't ppl be able to see the edges of the tape since the tape is pretty linear? any tips on using this tape?

Skarbro
03-24-2008, 07:01 PM
ahh!!! i didn't realize the flying M emblem at the back is actually non clipped on.
that's easy then.

as for the "red" 3m double sided tape.... doesn't it stick out when you stick the emblem back on? aka won't ppl be able to see the edges of the tape since the tape is pretty linear? any tips on using this tape?
The actual tape is dark grey - the same as the tape from the factory. I call it red because it comes with red liner on the sticky part. There's yellow tape also, but you don't want that. The hard part is cutting it nice.

The flying M doesn't have clips, but it does have prongs - which are just there for alignment.

Skarbro
03-24-2008, 07:03 PM
There is actually 5 clips on the front emblem. 1 on the top, 1 on both sides and 2 little ones on the bottom.

EDIT: Actually I might have been mistaken but I could have swore my emblem on the front had 5 clips :S

I just sanded, primed and painted my front emblem as a test this past weekend and it looks great! I'm happy with the result and it was easy as pie.
Well maybe it's different on the sedan? I can say for sure that the hatches have 4 for all years. I'm only assuming the Speed3 is the same.

kid_icarus
03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
The actual tape is dark grey - the same as the tape from the factory. I call it red because it comes with red liner on the sticky part. There's yellow tape also, but you don't want that. The hard part is cutting it nice.

The flying M doesn't have clips, but it does have prongs - which are just there for alignment.

interesting!! so it's not that mushy gunk stuff that's used on like the "mazdaspeed 3" eblem?

guess i'll have to try my luck with it lol

Skarbro
03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Here are some pics of the emblem I painted a week ago. These pics are basically useless because of all the salt and crap all over the car and the lighting sucked. LOL The emblem isn't black - it's Honda Phantom Grey. Looks much better when it's clean.

BTW, can anyone guess what's different other than the painted emblem? :)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9153/img0883qj4.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7303/img0884dk4.jpg

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2918/img0886qw2.jpg

kid_icarus
03-24-2008, 09:44 PM
your lights?? haha

alright when it gets warm i'm gonna try and take these damn things off and paint them.

now i will only worry about putting them back on with the tape....

as for the front emblem
i just "pop" it back on i presume?

Skarbro
03-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah the front emblem is really easy.

I would wait until it gets a lot warmer to do the rears because you want the glue of the tape to stick well.

cwp_sedan
03-24-2008, 10:32 PM
oooh oooh!!! I know...Looks like you got an '07 grill. What do win? That is if I'm right of course lol.

EDIT:

Here are my shots of my emblem I just did this past weekend. Don't mind the dirtyness or water droplets. They make the emblem look textured but it isn't. I'll take more pics when it is clean. :)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/front_emblem.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/angle_emblem.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/front_emblem_close.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/ang_emblem_close.jpg

yearoftherat
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Nice job...did you use etching primer as a base for the paint ?

cwp_sedan
03-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice job...did you use etching primer as a base for the paint ?

Yep. Not sure if it will make a big difference or not but I'll have to see how it holds up.

mit-gee-mui
03-25-2008, 12:43 AM
A similar thread with basically the same stuff

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17940&highlight=black+emblem

:)

Tips

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13909&highlight=paint%2A+badge%2A

Skarbro
03-25-2008, 05:23 AM
oooh oooh!!! I know...Looks like you got an '07 grill. What do win? That is if I'm right of course lol.

Heh... You got it. :)

cwp_sedan
03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Heh... You got it. :)

It looks good! :)

kid_icarus
03-25-2008, 03:31 PM
cwp... that looks really good!!!
dang you can't even tell that it was ever sanded either.

cwp_sedan
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
cwp... that looks really good!!!
dang you can't even tell that it was ever sanded either.

Thanks.

This is what it looks like clean and dry

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/blk_emblem_front.jpg

kid_icarus
03-25-2008, 04:04 PM
lol cwp can i buy you a beer to have you do that for me? haha

Noisy Crow
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Ooohhhh (not) shiny!

Looks awesome, what paint did you use?

Thanks.

This is what it looks like clean and dry

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/blk_emblem_front.jpg

cwp_sedan
03-25-2008, 05:32 PM
lol cwp can i buy you a beer to have you do that for me? haha

It's so easy to do. You should definitely try it yourself.

I used a self etching primer and just a generic dupli-color universal flat black from CT

Gizzmo_jr
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Wouldn't by chance had a product number for the primer? Or is it a standard item on the shelf and i'll see it in the automotive section?

cwp_sedan
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Both are found in the automotive paint section at CT. The dupli-color is the the general flat black. There is a code I think - DS104 (I think that is it). It looks like this though...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/emblem_paint.jpg

kid_icarus
03-25-2008, 07:08 PM
i will definitely give it a shot. if i screw it up i'll let you know.

btw is there a "link" or product code for the exact 3m tape I shold be purchasing to stick the back emblem back on?

cwp_sedan
03-25-2008, 07:20 PM
http://www.restockit.com/images/product/large/MMM4011_1_1.jpg

It looks like this

kid_icarus
03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.restockit.com/images/product/large/MMM4011_1_1.jpg

It looks like this

nice cwp!! thanks!!
i was looking through 3m's catalog and there were so many types

bunchi
03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Both are found in the automotive paint section at CT. The dupli-color is the the general flat black. There is a code I think - DS104 (I think that is it). It looks like this though...

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/cwp_sedan/emblem_paint.jpg

Hi cwp, good job! did you still sand your emblem? it looks really smooth.. nice.... I painted my part of the grill that it inside the emblem but too afraid to do the emblem itself... afraid it might look rough..

cwp_sedan
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi cwp, good job! did you still sand your emblem? it looks really smooth.. nice.... I painted my part of the grill that it inside the emblem but too afraid to do the emblem itself... afraid it might look rough..

All I used was 300 or 400 grit sandpaper and scuffed up the surface. When I added the primer it became smooth and then painted it black. I didn't even sand the primer and it was still smooth.

A new emblem will probably only run you $20 so if something happens and you do mess it up you can at least replace it without spending too much money. Personally I think it's almost impossible to screw up. Even if you botch an area you can just sand it and re-spray it. Make sure you are in an area with little dust, wind, etc. otherwise crap will stick to the fresh paint.

bunchi
03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
thanks man.. now you got me thinking of doing all the emblems! stupid me broke the 2 lower clips on the emblem when I tried removing it.. blame the cold weather i was in a rush to take it off because it was soo cold that day! :chuckle how about your rear emblems? did u do them too? I always wanted to find out if there were clips or prongs on the mazda and flying m emblems. what people said in other threads are inconsistent.. some says yes there's prongs, some say no prongs..

kid_icarus
03-27-2008, 09:47 AM
i started the process yesterday with my front emblem

is the primer supposed to come off easily?

i sanded down the emblem
but i didn't sand the chrome "off"
i'm not sure if i'm supposed to sand the chrome off but i sanded it until it was dull looking.

anyways my primer seems to come off easily if i genty scratch it with my nail

i'm using "sandable" primer as i couldn't find any etching primer at crappy tire
is this going to make a major difference?

anyways it's still in the primer mode as i have not applied the actual paint on yet
but once i apply the paint on, will it still scratch off easily?? or should it be a nice "latex" or "eggshell" coating?

Skarbro
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Hmm... I don't recall the primer being easily removed. After the paint is on, it doesn't come off.

kid_icarus
03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Hmm... I don't recall the primer being easily removed. After the paint is on, it doesn't come off.

yeah it's a black sandable primer i'm using
so i'm able to "sand" the primer

basically i can sand it all off it's like a thin powdercoat over the emblem.

i guess i'll see what happens after i paint it
probably do another layer or primer tonight when i get home
and then do a few layers of paint

Islandless
07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey I just painted my emblems black and I thought I would take some pictures so that people have more reference. I decided to do the whole bleach, prime, paint, clearcoat route. At first I was going to get an exact paint from Napa or something but it was getting too expensive so I just used Canadian Tire duplicolor. Turned out pretty good. This is the first mod I've done. Getting windows tinted next!!

This is the final result
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6687/car022.jpg

Taking off the front emblems wasn't too difficult as long as you can figure out where the clips are. All of the clips you have to push toward the center of the emblem from the inside of the hood, if that makes sense. I used a tool that I got when fixing a phone LCD screen. It's a little plastic thing that helps get into tight places without marking anything up. Came in handy here. I also used credit cards as blockers so that the clips that I had out didn't clip back in.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4697/car004w.jpg
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7283/car006yqp.jpg

As you can see here, I did a bad job taking off the rear emblems. I used a hair dryer and a microfiber cloth covered paint knife to take them off. Came off pretty easy but left a lot of the tape. I wasn't planning on reusing the tape anyways so it wasn't too bad.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6885/car009.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/5219/car010.jpg

Used a little bit of goo gone, some water, soap and microfibre sponge to clean the area. Wasn't very difficult to clean it up. You just have to pull off the tape as you go.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3070/car012.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7734/car014f.jpg

Bleaching took a long time. I started on the friday and finished on the monday. This is what the bleach looks like when you need to change it with some fresh bleach. I did an ammonia/peroxide bath afterward to get the black off. Then sanded the emblems down. There are pictures of these steps in other posts. (I forgot to take pictures)
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9008/car016.jpg

Another photo of final product (I haven't put the rear emblems on yet, need tape and the stores are closed for canada day!)
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9656/car021a.jpg

Here's a before picture with my dog :) They look good together I thought.
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2929/car001.jpg

Cardinal Fang
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Nice job. That's exactly how I did my wheel caps.

BeEvil
07-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Very nice!!! Good work. When finished the back post more photos!!

BeEvil

BeEvil
07-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone tried Black Chrome yet? I'm thinking of getting my emblems done in black chrome.

BeEvil

Islandless
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
So I got the tape for the back, spent a while cutting it out to fit perfectly on the mazdaspeed emblem. Was just getting set up to put the emblem on so I set the emblem on the spoiler so that I could tape a guideline to keep things level.

Silly me decided I wanted to get a slightly better look at the area so I opened the hatch obliviously and heard the emblem slide somewhere. Of course it decided to slide perfectly into the crack between the hatch and the roof and adhere itself nicely in there. Couldn't really get to it so I had to lower the hatch.......in turn scraping the paint off the emblem! Yay! I managed to get it out and remove the adhesive tape with no harm done to the car, which is the most important part. However, now I have to resand, paint and clearcoat the emblem, which sucks! Dont know what I was thinking :loco

Anyhow, I got the rear Flying M emblem on no problem.

The finished product
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8477/backemblem003.jpg

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4391/backemblem002.jpg

Here's where it slide into... of course it couldn't have just landed on the roof with tape facing up. Murphy's Law I guess.
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9193/backemblem004.jpg

Here's the damage! Woohoo!
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3786/backemblem005.jpg

Thrizzl3
07-02-2009, 06:35 PM
that looks nice man good job. hmmm is it worth putting the mazdaspeed badge back on?

Islandless
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
that looks nice man good job. hmmm is it worth putting the mazdaspeed badge back on?

I thought about it. I'm going to repaint it regardless just so that I have it. We'll see I guess!

bman13
08-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Just so I know...besides buying a new emblem if you mess up, can't you jsut re-bleach and start over that way?...Just want to know before I go ahead and do this.