PDA

View Full Version : Manual boost controller.

alhope34
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Basically I want to ask if these things actually work, how they work, and how safe are they?

http://www.streetunit.com/Turbosmart_Manual_Boost_Controller_p/fg-gbcv-bt.htm

Unoriginalusername
02-06-2008, 11:56 PM
read through this post... it is the only before and after dyno of the same car at the same shop in similar conditions with the only difference being the mbc. people talk it up like it is 50hp vs. the 7hp it actually gained at peak.... let alone as the weather changes you run significant risk of harming your engine. I would go Cobb AP or nothing if it were up to me

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=99838.0

Finally got around to getting my car dyno'd after the atp bcd/mbc install. I always use the same dyno(dynojet) and the temp was 67degrees today. 65 degrees last time. Mods are cobb sri, txs racepipe, atp bcd/mbc @ 18psi.

Previous dyno (cobb sri, txs rp)- 266hp/280tq
Today's dyno (cobb sri, txs rp, mbc 18psi)- 273hp/293tq

Doesn't sound like a big gain...but the area between the two curves shows some gains of 20-25hp/tq in certain areas. I'm working on trying to get the file from the shop emaild to me as we speak. As soon as I get it, I'll post it up. A/F's were still rich. Under 11.5 by 4k under 11 after 5k. Maybe I have a boost leak...lol. Everyone else is running lean with boost @ 18psi. It would also explain the low peak numbers. Car runs good though....pulls hard. I'm going to try to re-ziptie everything and see if that makes a difference.

Let the number bashing begin...

alhope34
02-07-2008, 07:17 PM
How does the engine stand a risk of damage if the weather changes?

Unoriginalusername
02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
How does the engine stand a risk of damage if the weather changes?

because the mbc doesn't affect timing or manage boost spikes etc. if you tune your car in july it isn't going to be the same afr and psi in january.

the cobb ap is more about timing and afr readjustments with a small boost increase to make power rather than leaving things as they are and adding more boost which from that dyno has proven to not be all that effective anyways.

TurboEight
02-08-2008, 03:29 AM
+1 On waiting for the Cobb Accessport..

But if you really want, can't you up the boost, 2-3 PSI , and the ECU will compensate?

Fixing some timing issues?

It will probably not run very well, but it could work?

I am not really familiar with the Speed3's ECU, so I am really just guessing.

Unoriginalusername
02-08-2008, 07:15 AM
+1 On waiting for the Cobb Accessport..

But if you really want, can't you up the boost, 2-3 PSI , and the ECU will compensate?

Fixing some timing issues?

It will probably not run very well, but it could work?

I am not really familiar with the Speed3's ECU, so I am really just guessing.

When you already have a CAI and TBE which is putting the engine way out of its stock parameters and ability to compensate it isn't a good idea.... but hey its your car, do what ever you want lol

TurboEight
02-08-2008, 08:11 PM
lol...I already said, I m not familiar with the Speed3's ECU, I don't even own one..lol

I just don't know how much compensation stock ECU can do, before running the motor to the limit=)

Just throwing stuff out there.

RX9
02-08-2008, 08:48 PM
speed3 gonna go wild now....lots new stuff:pop

TurboEight
02-08-2008, 09:33 PM
when is the AP scheduled to be released?

Unoriginalusername
02-08-2008, 10:25 PM
when is the AP scheduled to be released?

late march

alhope34
02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
So I take it the potential risks and dangers of upping the boost just aren't worth the gains. I guess my next two mods still stand to be a cp-e tbe, and if I can eventually manage it, the cobb AP. I am starting to learn more about this car... first car I've ever dealt with that has a turbo, so I don't really know whats safe/unsafe to do to the turbo, or just how much the engine can handle.