PDA

View Full Version : Shaky Steering Wheel

boogie
02-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Just started noticing this a few days ago, and can't recall this being so bad. Anytime I'm driving on local roads (haven't been on the highway yet) and I get up over about 110 km/h I start getting some pretty bad shaking of my steering wheel.

The only thing I can recall doing before this happened, was I was stuck going up my driveway after the snow storm last Friday, and I gave my car a little more gas than I should of. The front tires spun out quite a bit and I can recall a slight burning smell. I initially thought it was the front tires, but the smell was more prevalent inside the car.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I won't be in town for another month or so, so I'll have to wait to take it by Street Performance to have Jimmy take a look at it.

Fuman
02-08-2008, 06:04 AM
get your tires rebalanced. <-- steering wheel shake.
If you are on stock rims/tires, you can go back to the dealer

CanadaGTO
02-08-2008, 06:26 AM
This happens to me sometimes. Check for snow/ice buildup on the inside of the wheels. You'll likely find that you've got some stuck in there and they've thrown your wheel(s) out of balance. Usually an easy fix :)

Unoriginalusername
02-08-2008, 07:14 AM
This happens to me sometimes. Check for snow/ice buildup on the inside of the wheels. You'll likely find that you've got some stuck in there and they've thrown your wheel(s) out of balance. Usually an easy fix :)

x2

Wild Weasel
02-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Yep. There's another thread like this somewhere from the last time we got lots of snow. :chuckle

Skarbro
02-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah this used to happen to me all the time with my old car. I had 5 spoke alloys as my winter rims and they had big openings that would accumulate snow. I had to clean them out by hand a numerous times or they would throw off the balance of the wheels big-time.

This is one of the reasons I use steelies in the winter now. :)

FLIPDADY
02-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Go to a coin-op wash and spray the shit out of the wheel well area.

mit-gee-mui
02-08-2008, 09:26 AM
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21956&highlight=snow+steering+wheel

:)

Jeff-TheBiz
02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
One of the reasons I do not put wheel covers on steelies in the winter, way too easy to get ice/snow stuck in there and then you get the shimmy.

Wild Weasel
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
On the bright side, this is way cheaper than installing seat massagers!

Flagrum_3
02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
One of the reasons I do not put wheel covers on steelies in the winter, way too easy to get ice/snow stuck in there and then you get the shimmy.

It would be nice if they still sold Half Moon hubcaps, just to cover the bolts and hubs like they had in the old days.:)

_3

lowpro2002
02-08-2008, 10:57 AM
they sell them at crappy tire ^^ :)

lowpro2002
02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
edit: sorry they sell the wheel rings that go on the outter part of the steel rim, not the inner one that covers the hub :(

Jeff-TheBiz
02-08-2008, 11:27 AM
It would be nice if they still sold Half Moon hubcaps, just to cover the bolts and hubs like they had in the old days.:)

_3

Yeah, back when you used to crank the car manually.... God you're old!

Wild Weasel
02-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah... I don't recall seeing any such thing for steel wheels. Those are more for when they want to cover the lugnuts on an alloy wheel.

The only partial covers I've seen for steel wheels are usually bolted on with the wheel, so the lug nuts are still visible. They just cover the hub.

Flagrum_3
02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah... I don't recall seeing any such thing for steel wheels. Those are more for when they want to cover the lugnuts on an alloy wheel.

The only partial covers I've seen for steel wheels are usually bolted on with the wheel, so the lug nuts are still visible. They just cover the hub.

They used to sell them, not long ago either, there would be a chrome ring for the outter edge of the rim and a chrome half-moon shaped cap for the lug nuts and hub, and they were specifically for steel wheels.(I almost bought a set for my CRXsi, but I ended up picking-up some aluminum rims cheap for it.)

_3

WLS ZMZM
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, back when you used to crank the car manually.... God you're old!

hahahaha... it's mean.. but.. honestly... my dad started on me with those chrome hub rings... god is that tacky!! Not to mention my car is black so with the black steelies the car looks blacked out

Flagrum_3
02-08-2008, 12:55 PM
hahahaha... it's mean.. but.. honestly... my dad started on me with those chrome hub rings... god is that tacky!! Not to mention my car is black so with the black steelies the car looks blacked out

Its much more tacky showing and having the hubs and front spindles/nuts rusting because its not protected I would think, don't forget you could always paint the rings and hub-cap black (which is what I would do), if you don't want any bling and then theres also the peace of mind that your not damaging anything.

_3

boogie
02-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Ah thanks for the help. Didn't see that other thread when doing a search. I'll be a bit more thorough next time. Nice to see this is an easy fix, and I didn't actually mess up my car. LOL.

Wild Weasel
02-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm still not getting what you mean by "half moon shape". ? You got a pic?

How did they attach?

Flagrum_3
02-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I've been trying to find a pic on the internet with no luck, it's hard for me to explain without a pic, but I'll try; ...Just around where your lugs nuts are the rim raises into a ridge which encircles the lug nut centre area, these half -moon caps (look just like its name) are just tapped onto the outter edge of that ridge...just like ordinary hub-caps fit, but they only cover the lug nut and hub area...I don't know if I explained it well but hey I'm not much of a writer.

As for the Half-moon shape, take a ball, cut it in half and that's a half moon shape and is exactly what they look like and are rolled inwards on the edges.

_3

Seliina
02-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah this used to happen to me all the time with my old car. I had 5 spoke alloys as my winter rims and they had big openings that would accumulate snow. I had to clean them out by hand a numerous times or they would throw off the balance of the wheels big-time.

This is one of the reasons I use steelies in the winter now. :)

This actually happened to me last week - and I am using steelies...

FLIPDADY
02-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Ahem...wheel covers!:chuckle