PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Speed CAI and Cat-back

Axelariation
02-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm new at this community. Just bought a 2008 mazda 3 sedan GT. love driving it! In few months I plan on adding CAI and cat-back from the mazda speed. But I am having doubts!

- Will this void my warranty even though I am using mazda parts?
- How much improvement will this have in my car? CAI first or exhaust?
- Do you recommend buying a different manufacturer?

RallyPlaya
02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Going With the Speed Accessories to my knowledge will not void your warranty there a bit pricier than the after market CAI and Catback but speed has name and quality. Actually a CAI will not void your warranty no matter what make you buy. The CAI adds i believe aprox 11hp it adds a deeper sound to engine when reving and you feel an increase of power in lower revs. I Love my CAI and recommend it. With the speed exhaust that will also not void your warranty, dont have it so i hope someone else can explain their experience

Axelariation
02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I will start with the CAI first..

mogul_pro
02-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Note, an intake will NOT give you 11hp... (MAYBE 1/2 of that IFFFyour lucky...).

I have an Injen intake... does the job, no CEL (check engine light), adds deep throaty sound, that quiets down after it has been on for awhile but still will always be there. Have had alot of experience with aftermarket parts with my past cars.. most higher quality intakes you will not notice a differance between them.. I got the Injen for under 200 bucks on ebay, and who knows how much more they want at mazda for the speed one... (I wouldnt be suprised if it was double...)

As far as exaust goes, you want to have your pipes at (or as close to) 2.5" as posible for best performance. Some exausts will be significantly louder than others. Also, freshly installed systems are far more loud and quiet down over time. They do add power, will you notice it.. yea.. will it be amaizing, no.
I would go to a meet that these guys have and check out everyone's cars and parts they have and pick for ytourself what you want. No need to rush into anything right..

Hope you enjoy your new car.

RallyPlaya
02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Note, an intake will NOT give you 11hp... (MAYBE 1/2 of that IFFFyour lucky...).

Well Mogul Pro thats What the dyno results Show for the Fujita F5 Intake, A dyno cant lie.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21712&highlight=fujita+dyno

But i do agree with Mogul pro on coming to a meet and checking out the mods, it gives you a really good idea of what ur getting. Without going to the meets i prbly wouldnt have purchased many of the mods i have. Good Luck with ur mods Axelaration

mogul_pro
02-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Have not been to any yet myself but plan on it when the summer rolls around. :)

Axelariation
02-10-2008, 01:43 AM
summer time..i'll take a trip down in toronto. i live in London..lol..not too far of a drive

RallyPlaya
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah U Guys Should Definitely Come to the meets in the summa -the bbq is gonna be a big event too cant miss that out

azn_outlaw
02-10-2008, 12:09 PM
The dyno can lie...

so that 11hp gain is probably not one realiable factor to believe in at all..

at most like it was said before most gain would be about 8hp at the most...

remember dyno results can vary due to type of dyno used, weather conditions, RPM shift points and starting parts...

might I add the Fujita is not the largest intake found for the Mazda3, there is a F2 intake with a 3 inch diameter, guess what and I run that..so the larger diameter an inake is, more efficent and air shall be entering in the engine and providing a small gain in power...

carefull what you read....

to answer your question about the MS CAI and Exhaust, there are color codes in which will tell you how it effects your warrenty...

But those two items are not warrenty killers and considered mild...

remember the worst thing you have to worry is the MAF sensor, keep on eye on that because the wires can be overstretched and cause problems

dont quote me on this but the MS CAI may cover your ass if a MAF Sensor problem occours...

Unoriginalusername
02-10-2008, 03:18 PM
The dyno can lie...

Right pure speculation is better then dyno, how silly of us to forget. If anything a CAI performs better at speed because a more significant of cold air is getting packed and would allow for additional power at speed that can't be duplicated on the dyno

Butt dyno for sale :chuckle
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41
http://kalecoauto.com/images/buttdyno.jpg

Cosmo77
02-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I have installed both CAI's on Mazda 3's, MazdaSpeed 3's Mazda 6's and Rx-8s (best sounding on the rx-8 WOW) I am not sure about the ALL aftermarket kits, but the Mazda one comes with a lot more hardwear and seems to be better mounted on the car tehn most of the after market ones.

Also I have installed the Mazda Cat back on rx-8, Mazda 3 and Mazda 6...they all sound great, even make the 2.0L sound powerful (but we all know its all noise there LOL!)...The Mazda Speed Cat back kit requires you to cut the existing exhaust pipe behind the rear cat....so to the DIY guys....bring a portable bandsaw, a hacksaw (not sure if you can get it in the exhaust tunnel) or a set of torches and a steady hand. The exhaust sounds good and fits really well and has some room for adjustment to fit the rear bumper well.

Cosmo

Axelariation
02-10-2008, 09:38 PM
thanks for all the info. how much will it cost me for installation for CAI? I plan on doing this at the mazda dealership. I'm still under Warranty

RallyPlaya
02-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Getting a CAI will in no way take away from your warranty. I dont know how much Mazda charges pm flipdaddy for their installation charge. I got my CAI installed by Mcgiver Aka Dan our Sponsor for 40$. He did it in about 45min and did an amazing job.

Axelariation
02-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Is this in Toronto area?

RallyPlaya
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah flipdaddy aka Joe works at parts at Mot Mazda of Toronto and Mcgiver aka Dan works at BMW but owns a 3 and does small installs for a great price. Both located @ Toronto

3GFX
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Yes, Mazda of Toronto. McGuyver is also a sponsor on the board. Look him up in the sponsor section.

I rep Mazdaspeed Intake and Exhaust and love them. Plus its Mazdaspeed stuff, made by Mazda (or branded) for Mazda.

To be honest, the Mazdaspeed intake it the best it come with a shield and never has any issues.

But for a catback there are other choices. The Mazdaspeed has a bad drone at times and is not fully stainless steel.

Notorious MS3
02-10-2008, 11:15 PM
The dyno can lie...

remember dyno results can vary due to type of dyno used, weather conditions, RPM shift points and starting parts...

might I add the Fujita is not the largest intake found for the Mazda3, there is a F2 intake with a 3 inch diameter, guess what and I run that..so the larger diameter an inake is, more efficent and air shall be entering in the engine and providing a small gain in power...

carefull what you read....

to answer your question about the MS CAI and Exhaust, there are color codes in which will tell you how it effects your warrenty...

But those two items are not warrenty killers and considered mild...

remember the worst thing you have to worry is the MAF sensor, keep on eye on that because the wires can be overstretched and cause problems

dont quote me on this but the MS CAI may cover your ass if a MAF Sensor problem occours...

I would go with the mazdaspeed cai, I had an AEM CAI and i had problems with the MAF wires being overstretched and had to pay to get them all re lengthened. Atleast with a Mazda part your covered for a period of time.

Axelariation
02-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Great info! Thanks for all the feedback!

It's settled. I sticking to MS CAI. I will get it done this summer and get it tinted too.

Sean80
02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
i'll vouch for the ms cai as well. Had it on for about a year now (24,000kms) and have not had a single problem. Just bought the ms exhaust and will be getting it installed in a week or so. I was going to go with borla, but I found a good deal on the mazdaspeed one. I wouldn't worry too much about warranty issues, most dealerships are accepting of aftermarket parts.... plus in the case you blow an engine or something, you can always switch the parts back to stock before taking it in.

Axelariation
02-12-2008, 06:34 PM
How much did it cost you for the MC CAI, installation, all together?

i'll vouch for the ms cai as well. Had it on for about a year now (24,000kms) and have not had a single problem. Just bought the ms exhaust and will be getting it installed in a week or so. I was going to go with borla, but I found a good deal on the mazdaspeed one. I wouldn't worry too much about warranty issues, most dealerships are accepting of aftermarket parts.... plus in the case you blow an engine or something, you can always switch the parts back to stock before taking it in.

justblaze
02-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Both the MS CAI and MS CB are warrantied for 20,000km/1yr or remaining car warranty which ever is longer when installed by Mazda. Its gonna be around $500 installed for the CAI and $1000 installed for the CB (if done together maby cheaper). Both together really sound good.

eman124
04-02-2008, 03:50 AM
I installed the MS CAI at 25000km
one of the mounting parts that's attached to the bottom of the CAI broke for some reason after 10000km on it..
other than that... I am quite satisfy with the CAI... no CEL
and I ahve it on for nearly 30000km already

i got it when it first came out
but didn't the price go up or something?

i want to ask the price for the ms cat-back..