PDA

View Full Version : Crunching noise? Suspension i think?

JashiK
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
when it's in the subzero temps and my car has been sitting outside overnight and i go over humps or bumps i hear a crunching noise from the front and rear, but mainly from the front.
it's annoying as hell until the car has been driven for about 15 mins.
i'm guessing that the bushings get too hard, but i've never experienced this in any car i've driven in those sub temps.
gonna have to take it in to the dealer to have it looked after.
anyone else here experience the same?

ptfire
02-15-2008, 09:46 AM
I get the same thing happening to my car. Sounds as if the wheels are rubbing the fender liners.

JashiK
02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
yeah... it's pretty annoying.
it just doesn't sound right. i bet mazda canada will just say that it's not an issue with safety so nothing can be done. lol
i'm gonna take it to the dealer for my 8k service and tell them about it. I'll post what they tell me.

WhiteSpeed3
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
ya i get it to

i talked to the guy that does suspension at my dealership he said its prob the front stabilizer bar and said it happens often

CanadaGTO
02-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I had it last winter, but not this winter yet....

JashiK
02-15-2008, 12:47 PM
thanks guyz for replying. glad to know that it just isn't myself, but not happy with the fact that we're experiencing this type of problem.

WhiteSpeed3
02-15-2008, 02:16 PM
well my guy said its not a prob so just deal with it for a couple months

Wild Weasel
02-15-2008, 02:33 PM
My struts make lots of noise until they warm up a bit. I wonder if this is what you guys are talking about. The description seems about right.

Nothing to worry about, but it's definitely disconcerting if you don't know what it is. :)

Pac-man
02-17-2008, 05:15 PM
I got the same trouble too. It's pretty annoying, and i thought i wasn't the only one.

Pilzz
02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I get that too. I think all the speeds have this problem. It only happens when it is really cold outside and stops once the car gets warm or temp raises.

JashiK
02-17-2008, 06:06 PM
the question I have is... is this supposed to be normal? could it cause premature wearing of "whatever" it is?

Speedy2008
02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
I hear a similar noise when it's cold outside also but not when it's slightly above zero. I always thought it was the windshield wipers.

Makeit
02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I have it too... I called the dealer and they (we, I'm an advisor for another product) won't say too much, but I figured it out at work as it being the sway bar bushings.. but they want me to leave the vehicle over night so I can hear it, but to be honest I would tell a customer at work the same thing... so it is biting me in the as$

alhope34
02-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Don't think I've ever had this problem. My car was fine all winter, even at -15C. The only problems I had before was last visit to north-eastern Quebec I was driving overnight and the ambient temp went down to -32. The shocks then stiffened right up and would creak with every bump no matter how small. It was a very very bumpy ride, but the stiffer shocks seemed to make it handle better haha.

JashiK
02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Well... took my car in to the dealership and they said the bushings need to be changed for the front and rear control arms. I believe the tech told me there is a service bulletin or something of that sort. They've ordered it as it was on backorder. Once I get 'em changed i'll let you guys know if the noise is gone (if our temps stay low).

REZXPERT
02-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Well... took my car in to the dealership and they said the bushings need to be changed for the front and rear control arms. I believe the tech told me there is a service bulletin or something of that sort. They've ordered it as it was on backorder. Once I get 'em changed i'll let you guys know if the noise is gone (if our temps stay low).

can you please confirm 100% for sure if there's a TSB on this repair after you get it done? thanks, & good luck.

Malcolm991
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
I have that problem in extreme cold. The cold will affect things so I dont worry too much about it.

ptfire
02-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Has anyone got this problem solved yet?

JashiK
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM
going to the dealer tomorrow morning to have the bushings replaced.
not that i enjoy subzero temps, but i hope one night it is cold enough to see if the noise is replicated.
i'll keep you guys posted.

dustyrhodes
03-07-2008, 02:04 PM
haha there freezing up from the cold there is nothing wrong it only happens when it sits outside for a couple hours correct? you will notice it heavily if it is wet and the temp is below freezing...

JashiK
03-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Alright... went in to the dealer yesterday, got my front 'n' rear bushings replaced with the redesigned ones. Drove the car today it was -5 out and so far so good. No noise. The real test will be when it's below -10.
Keep you posted.

WhiteSpeed3
03-08-2008, 01:21 PM
yes please let us know so i can get mine fixed

ptfire
03-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Which bushing did they replace? Control arm or sway bar?

JashiK
03-09-2008, 12:31 PM
well it was -9 this morning and guess what? no noise driving to work. i think it might be fixed. but we'll see... i wanna see what happens at -15 or colder.
i can't remember if it was the control arm bushings or the sway bar bushings. i'll confirm and post it up.

oneurt
03-09-2008, 02:45 PM
I get it too, in sub zero temps, even my friends golf makes those sounds, so I haven't really payed much attention to it. I just tell passengers that the car is cold. It is sort of annoying at times but its only in freezing cold temps anyways.

ptfire
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I wonder if these new redisned bushing may adversely affect the handling of the car?

JashiK
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
well with temps around -14 to -10 noise is 100% gone. I still have to find out which bushings they were. In terms of handling I haven't felt a difference yet, but who knows. I'm not sure what was modified in the bushings so it's hard to say.

mazdas3sporte
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
when i go over bumbs at very low speeds or any speed the fron suspension makes a weird sound, i just got the car and it only has 52kms on it... should i take it back to have it checked, i took delivary of the car just yerterday

CanadaGTO
04-03-2008, 11:16 AM
when i go over bumbs at very low speeds or any speed the fron suspension makes a weird sound, i just got the car and it only has 52kms on it... should i take it back to have it checked, i took delivary of the car just yerterday

Yup, take it right back.... Be sure to go out with a tech so you are in the car when it reoccurs, so you don't hear the famous "Unable to replicate" excuse :)

theurgy
04-03-2008, 12:21 PM
JashiK: Any word on the TSB number, the part number anything that might fix this issue.
I have the same problem and it unnerved me since I thought it was my winters rubbing on the fender. However it would only happen after it sitting in the cold for a while. So I guess I;m experiencing the exact same thing as you guys.

Chrys
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Mazda replaced my front stab bar twice to fix that probleme.
But they do not last to long and have to be changed again.
They said that they should have new one some time soon, better for north america and our weather.

Chrys
04-04-2008, 12:50 PM
euh not the stab, but the bushings of the stab... sorry it wasn't clear.

//Chrys