PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed CB vs. Vibrant CB? Pros and Cons

davidpetrozza
02-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an exhaust for my car, and I am having a hard time deciding which one to purchase. I have the option of a slightly used Mazdaspeed stock exhaust or a vibrant to put on my 07 GT Hatch. I just wanted to hear some feedback from members who have these.

LIKE AND DISLIKES.

Thanks,

WeatherB
02-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Well, they sound different so it depends what kind of sound you are looking for.

The Mazdaspeed will be a lot cheaper, but will require more work by the muffler shop for installation. It will also rust a lot quicker since it's not made from stainless steel.

I'd go for the Vibrant if you like the sound.

FLIPDADY
02-24-2008, 10:49 AM
For looks and bolt-on fitment go for Vibrant. I've heard the high flow cat that comes with the Vibrant system is prone to cracking after some time.(just from what I've heard from customers)

The Mazdaspeed system retains the stock cat and is very Mazda warranty friendly. The only con I can see is the fact that you have to cut the stock cat to clamp-on the rest of the system.

IMO both systems sound good.

chinsterr
02-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Coming from someone who has owned them both (vibrant first and then mazdaspeed).

Vibrant
Pros: Comes with a hi-flo cat, SSteel, cost effective for what your getting
Cons: cheap quality made in taiwan (IMO), my hi-flo cat cracked and caused lots of droning + funky smells, even though it is SSteel my exhaust was was discoloured (had it for 1 1/2 years, and it turned a bronze colour).

MazdaSpeed:
Pros: Better build quality (IMO), refined sound (not as much drone as the vibrant), keeps stock cat, Mazda warrantied part.
Cons: lack of hi-flo cat, early models had some problems with welds cracking (I am sure this is resolved by now).

I love my MS exhaust and I have no regrets selling the vibrant.

Flagrum_3
02-25-2008, 06:15 AM
I've had my Vibrant for over a year now, still looks like new (some discoloring, but expected, its from the high temps, gentlemen).Sounds great, no droning, smells or wierd noises so far...I guess I'll have to keep my eye on the cat, never heard of them cracking before though, but I'll take flip's word on it...As for warranty, its a non-issue imo.

_3

TurboEight
02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Vibrant seems to be the bang for the buck exhaust IMO.

It's Pretty loud though.

Flagrum_3
02-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Vibrant seems to be the bang for the buck exhaust IMO.

It's Pretty loud though.

I don't find it that loud anymore (it was much louder when new), I guess it also depends if you punch it or not, but with normal acceleration its quite subtle.

_3

chinsterr
02-26-2008, 05:36 PM
I don't find it that loud anymore (it was much louder when new), I guess it also depends if you punch it or not, but with normal acceleration its quite subtle.

_3

I find at low rpms the vibrant seems to drone a lot, well, it just sounds like unappealing noise.

The party starts at 4k rpm +

Nova 3 GT
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Are the welds been resolved on the new revision of the MS cat-back ?

WhiteSpeed3
02-26-2008, 07:38 PM
hes talking about the mazdaspeed3 stock exhaaust i dont think they had any roblem with welds

Niteshade
02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I know this going off topic a bit, but it sems to make more sense to place this here than to start a new thread.

With regards to the OEM Mazdaspeed cat-back vs, the Vibrant: I was told (by a parts manager at a Mazda dealership) that the OEM would be covered under the comprehensive 3 yr/80000km warranty since my car is a 2008 (definitely a big plus). FLIPDADY pointed out tho that the Vibrant has a high flo cat.

So: is there a significant performance advantage of one over the other? If it's more about looks and sound then the OEM makes more sense for me with the warranty, but if the Vibrant provides a better performance boost then that's my primary interest.

Any feedback from anyone "in the know" would be appreciated!:)

Flagrum_3
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
I know this going off topic a bit, but it sems to make more sense to place this here than to start a new thread.

With regards to the OEM Mazdaspeed cat-back vs, the Vibrant: I was told (by a parts manager at a Mazda dealership) that the OEM would be covered under the comprehensive 3 yr/80000km warranty since my car is a 2008 (definitely a big plus). FLIPDADY pointed out tho that the Vibrant has a high flo cat.

So: is there a significant performance advantage of one over the other? If it's more about looks and sound then the OEM makes more sense for me with the warranty, but if the Vibrant provides a better performance boost then that's my primary interest.

Any feedback from anyone "in the know" would be appreciated!:)

Performance wise I don't think anyone has done a 1 on 1 Dyno comparison, so any thoughts would be pure speculation.As for the warranty I think you might be wise to double check, as according to the Mazda Performance accessories catalog, the MS exhaust is a "Green" performance accessory, meaning it comes with a 12 month/20k warranty only....unless the coverage as been changed in '08? ....IMO it all comes down to which type of sound you prefer.

_3

Nova 3 GT
02-27-2008, 07:04 PM
hes talking about the mazdaspeed3 stock exhaaust i dont think they had any roblem with welds

Um.. I THINK he's talking about the Mazdaspeed CB for the regular Mazda3! :)

WhiteSpeed3
02-27-2008, 11:12 PM
hes talking about the stock mazdaspeed3 exhaust to put it on a regular 3

p-o-g-i
03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I found this on youtube which distinguishes the sound quality between the Mazdaspeed3 stock exhaust and the Vibrant exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBO73jzvYCQ&feature=related

pahecko
03-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Droning from Vibrant? I don't notice it if that's the case. Maybe with just the cat-back but with the header + exhaust, it's super quite at idle.

But yes the fun really starts and 4K+ :D Half the reason why my mileage sucks :chuckle That and 99.999999% city driving.

anyways, +1 vibrant.

Soyabean
03-09-2008, 12:56 AM
I found this on youtube which distinguishes the sound quality between the Mazdaspeed3 stock exhaust and the Vibrant exhaust:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBO73jzvYCQ&feature=related

Im also between these two. The MS one sounds so quiet. The vibrant one sounds way better. If the MS one is that quiet then i dunno about getting that one.

WhiteSpeed3
03-09-2008, 01:19 PM
that is a video of a mazdaspeed3 stock exhaust vs a vibrant exhaust for the speed3 so u really cant use that for a comparison for the two exhaust on a regular 3

p-o-g-i
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
that is a video of a mazdaspeed3 stock exhaust vs a vibrant exhaust for the speed3 so u really cant use that for a comparison for the two exhaust on a regular 3

.... point taken.