PDA

View Full Version : Where mount AudioLink USB/MP3

Noisy Crow
02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
My AudioLink USB just showed up at the door today. I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount it. (I have an '08 sedan GT).

So far I have come up with:

Replace the stock AUX jack in the console with front of the AudioLink (will it fit? I would need to fab an adapter plate)
Burying it somewhere and using a USB extension running to.... somewhere.
Using double sided tape to stick to the bottom of the dash above my right knee.

Right now I am leaning toward the last one as it is the least destrutive, and leaves all three ports (USB, SD, audio jack) all easily accessible. However, realistically, the only thing I will use is the USB port with a thumb drive.

Any suggestions?

RX9
02-27-2008, 09:06 PM
how does that thing look like? is it ipod size? i will mount them at the easy touch place.

Noisy Crow
02-27-2008, 09:16 PM
You can find a pic here:

http://www.audiolinkcanada.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=0&page=1&featured

This is the version that does not have an SD slot (I got mine from www.therpmstore.com but the site is have "issues" right now)

The one I have is 2½" wide by 7/8" high by 3¾" long. Cord sticks out the back, three feet long or so.

dj_chinaman2097
02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
I originally had mine plugged into the six-cd changer and the AL unit in the ash tray, with the ash tray removed for extra space. Unfortunately you'd have pull out the USB drive in order to close the ash tray lid and hide everything.

Now I have the AL unit tucked inside that unused mini disc/tape deck space in the head unit. One of my flash drives came with those USB extension cables so I run that from the AL unit down the centre console and out through the ash tray.

The USB drive remains plugged in and my cell phone also fits in there with the ash tray door closed.

You can take a look next time we meet up.

SilentJay
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Interesting. I was thinking about putting mine in the space in the head unit, but wanted to fab something like yellowp5 where the usb slot would be exposed and integrated into the faceplate of that area.

dj_chinaman2097
02-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Interesting. I was thinking about putting mine in the space in the head unit, but wanted to fab something like yellowp5 where the usb slot would be exposed and integrated into the faceplate of that area.

I thought about that too as it looks awesome. But then I would still want to pull out the usb and hide it from potential thieves.

Noisy Crow
02-27-2008, 09:40 PM

Yeh, I saw that. But...my car is 2½ weeks old.... do you have any idea how hard it is to start cutting holes in a 2½ week old car!

I have to yank out the centre console to put in the short-shifter anyway... so maybe the AudioLink will end up there.

SilentJay
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm wondering if I can order a faceplate part Mazda... i'd be more inclined to taking a dremmel to a spare rather than my original.

There wouldn't be anything showing other than a usb port, but then again, car theives are getting smart these days...

Noisy Crow
02-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I did a bit more poking about tonight. The plate the built-in 1/8" AUX port sits in (inside the console) is about ¾" x 1½". I think what I will do is see if I can fabricate a replacement out of black-painted styrene with holes to mount a USB port and 1/8" audio jack. That will let me plug things into the AUX port, just like the stock setup, and it's easy to get at the USB port to plug in the memory stick... either directly into the port, or I can run an USB extension cable to the upper bin.

EvilEric
02-28-2008, 09:05 AM
How about these suggestions?

- Run it from the glove box? Any holes there are less visible and anything you leave connected won't be visible.

- Ashtray slot? Same idea but stuck to the roof of the slot.

- Instead of mounting into the faceplate, how about mounting it so that the face of the Audiolink is flush with the coin slot place beside the shifter? That piece might be cheaper to replace then radio face plate.

SilentJay
02-28-2008, 11:22 AM
How about these suggestions?

- Run it from the glove box? Any holes there are less visible and anything you leave connected won't be visible.

- Ashtray slot? Same idea but stuck to the roof of the slot.

- Instead of mounting into the faceplate, how about mounting it so that the face of the Audiolink is flush with the coin slot place beside the shifter? That piece might be cheaper to replace then radio face plate.

The glovebox is an option, but I actually use the glovebox to hold all my bobbles and crap - it might damage the unit because of flying debris. Ditto with the ashtray.

The shifter plate is definately an idea, just gotta check clearances and such. Maybe Flip can chime in on costs of both faceplates?

Bluemazda3-S
03-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Oh wow... this device is cool man. Sorry to hijack... but I am amazed. So I can take my KRZR phone (which has a 1gig MicroSD card in it) plug it into the USB port of this device using the cord that came with the phone, and play the tunes on there? I guess I would just have to label the folders CD 01 and such, right?? Hmmmmm.... I like this.

As for suggestions on installing that box... Thinking still.. a lot of the options already mentioned I would do. Myself I would actually drill the holes necessary and do it that way... but I can see your pain drilling holes in your new car. That i mind, double sided tape works wonders, just put it in a hidden area so it doesn't look gay. How about the center console glove box thingy?

Noisy Crow
03-02-2008, 10:40 PM
As for suggestions on installing that box... Thinking still.. a lot of the options already mentioned I would do. Myself I would actually drill the holes necessary and do it that way... but I can see your pain drilling holes in your new car. That i mind, double sided tape works wonders, just put it in a hidden area so it doesn't look gay. How about the center console glove box thingy?

Long term, I am going to replace the stock AUX jack that is inside the centre console (I have an '08 car)with a set of USB and audio jacks that I will run to the AudioLink.
Short term... I am going to use double-sided tape to secure it above my right knee. That spot is not overly visible, and easily accessed. Another option might be to just let the whole AudioLink unit float around the glovebox, but I really don't like loose cables hanging out. Looks unfinished.

And yes, you should be able to take your phone and you should be able to use it by plugging it in, as long as can look like a USB thumb drive to the AudioLink. I'll let you know how it works with LG when I get the thing installed (I have it in a drawer, just need a bit of nice weather and the time to do it).

Bluemazda3-S
03-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Yeah...tell me about it.. the wife wants her sub installed in the new car and i told her when it gets mild out.. I don't want to run power wires to the back in the freexing cold.. LOL

You could always use the double sided tape in the glove box as well, to keep it from sliding around. I can think of ways to have the headphone jack set up nicely... but the USB, I am not sure. cause you can get flush mount headphone plugs at the source (aka the shack). I have yet to see flush mount USB plugs though... unless you can take one of those rear panel inserts for extra usb plugs, cut it up and wire it to a bare end of a USB cable plugged into the box.... clear as mud? lol... the idea is in my head, just cant get it out.

Let us know what you do, cause the wife likes the idea, so we'll probably get one for her car. It beats using an ugly ass dash adapter for a new deck and losing the LCD, not to mention still needing to carry MP3 CD's in the car. At least this way, a 2gig card in her KRZR should cover her mp3's, and she'll have it with her all the time, and a simple plug in... and she LOVES the fact the steering wheel controls will still be functional, bonus!

Anywho... bed time for moi...

EvilEric
03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
It really depends on what your cutting into and replacing. The audiolink is better then your stock plugs. But the benefit of having it in the glove box (no matter how ugly) is that your not cutting into the center console panels.

Ie: if you needed to sell the car and replace everything? those plastic parts might cost alot.

As for the USB flush mount, i've seen people on this board mount it so that it's beside the cigarette lighter. That's a removeable piece that probably won't be that expensive unlike the faceplate of the radio (which they might not sell seperately?).

btown-mazda
03-05-2008, 06:28 PM
What I did was mount the audiolink underneath the cup holders next to my shifter and pop the little tab and have the aux cable run out of there to my mp3 player. When not in use I just put the mp3 player in the cup holder and close the lid, out of sight for thieves.

Noisy Crow
03-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Found a thread on M3F... someone installed their AudioLink right into the middle of the dash....

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=102241.0

Looks pretty good. Hmmm..........

btown-mazda
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
That mod does look pretty neat but I don't really like having my mp3 hang down from there like that and have it flinging around while driving.

SilentJay
03-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Thats exactly what I wanted to do. Still kinda peeved my unit didn't come with a flashcard reader though.

Bluemazda3-S
03-06-2008, 12:21 AM
You had to add that option when you ordered it, unless you got it off ebay or something. Anyway, this is definately an option I am going to look at when it comes time to install this device, this is a nice looking install. I'm interested to see if he gets the slots backlit like he said he wants to, that should look cool, like factory even.

SilentJay
03-06-2008, 07:20 AM
There was no option for SD card reader when I had ordered my unit.

dj_chinaman2097
03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
You could always get an adapter for the SD card to fit the USB drive. My kit from last summer came with one for free.

J-Wo
03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I bought a used unit off eBay for $70 shipped, it's an older unit with the iPod adapter, mini audio plug, and an RCA video plug. I did have to order a new upgrade chip for the unit from The RPM Store for $9.99 (shipping free) in order for it to work with my G3 Nano. I installed my AL unit behind the ashtray with the iPod cable coming out the ashtray door. The inner ashtray is actually removable, and when gone the iPod cable has some room at the bottom of the ashtray to come out. It's also a perfect fit for the nano when plugged in so I can leave it perfectly hidden behind the ashtray if I like. I have an extremely unique and innovative mounting solution that cost me $0, I'm very proud of it ;). Basically I had already placed my garage door opener above the ashtray (next to the passenger seat airbag warning light) using industrial strength velcro. It just so happens that the nano fits snugly between my garage remote and the side of the dash. I'll post some pics soon if my explanation isn't too clear.

Noisy Crow
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
If we can get a day or two of reasonably warm weather, I will put mine in. I am going to secure to the lower dash, above my right knee. I will post some pics when it's in place....

EvilEric
03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
I bought a used unit off eBay for $70 shipped, it's an older unit with the iPod adapter, mini audio plug, and an RCA video plug. I did have to order a new upgrade chip for the unit from The RPM Store for $9.99 (shipping free) in order for it to work with my G3 Nano. I installed my AL unit behind the ashtray with the iPod cable coming out the ashtray door. The inner ashtray is actually removable, and when gone the iPod cable has some room at the bottom of the ashtray to come out. It's also a perfect fit for the nano when plugged in so I can leave it perfectly hidden behind the ashtray if I like. I have an extremely unique and innovative mounting solution that cost me $0, I'm very proud of it ;). Basically I had already placed my garage door opener above the ashtray (next to the passenger seat airbag warning light) using industrial strength velcro. It just so happens that the nano fits snugly between my garage remote and the side of the dash. I'll post some pics soon if my explanation isn't too clear.

Take a look at the DIY "Homelink" where they wire in the garge remote to a switch and make it 12 V powered.

lightsandsirens
03-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't want to make a new thread on this, but will this adapter work with a stock 2004 radio? I didn't see anything on the site that would suggest it will not, but I need to check before spending that much on it.

yearoftherat
03-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Check here

http://http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=142

This should answer your questions.

lightsandsirens
03-16-2008, 10:40 AM
seems like the site's down.

However, I proceeded to place the order and the option for the 2004 is there, so I bought it... Really hope it works!

yellowmp5
03-19-2008, 10:48 AM

I thought about that too as it looks awesome. But then I would still want to pull out the usb and hide it from potential thieves.

Yeh, I saw that. But...my car is 2½ weeks old.... do you have any idea how hard it is to start cutting holes in a 2½ week old car!

I have to yank out the centre console to put in the short-shifter anyway... so maybe the AudioLink will end up there.

thx for the comment guys, i'm flattered...

i bought the plate from joe @ MOT for only $17 OEM part...
i'm not too sure how much it will cost to buy the plate for MZ3....
it doesn't hurt to give joe a call i guess~

Noisy Crow
03-21-2008, 08:06 PM
I got my AudioLink installed today (finally!).

The install was simple enough, and I put it where I said I would, down under the steering wheel on the right-hand side of the plastic cover underneath -- in front of my right knee. I will probably move it to the glovebox when the weather warms up and I have more time, as that will involve pulling out the glovebox and making a hole or two. I used 3M Command-strip picture hangers to mount it, so I will be able to remove it cleanly.

I took pics if anyone is interested.

A couple tips for those removing their head units:
Take out the screws that hold down the front of the centre vent cover as well as the ones in the HU. It makes it much easier, as the vents can lift up to let the HU pop out. As well, before you remove it, look at how the unit lines up in the dash, with the heater controls etc. In particular, note where it doesn't fit perfectly. That way, when it goes back in you'll be able to know how good the fit used to be before you mucked with it and you won't have to stress having screwed it up because you'll know it wasn't perfect to start with! :)

lightsandsirens
03-22-2008, 10:17 AM
For those who already have this, can you have something plugged into the aux. jack (but not ON) and still use the usb/SD card? This will make a big impact as to where I'm going to mount mine because I want to leave my XM radio plugged in and still listen to the mp3. If I have to keep un-plugging the jack then I must have it somewhere more accessible...

Noisy Crow
03-22-2008, 05:06 PM
For those who already have this, can you have something plugged into the aux. jack (but not ON) and still use the usb/SD card? This will make a big impact as to where I'm going to mount mine because I want to leave my XM radio plugged in and still listen to the mp3. If I have to keep un-plugging the jack then I must have it somewhere more accessible...

I tried it out today with my MP3 player.... the SD card overrides the aux jack. When the card is present the AudioLink played the music from the SD card. When I popped the card out it used the aux jack. Didn't try the USB port yet though.

lightsandsirens
03-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Well that's not too bad, but this way I still have to mount the box somewhere I can easily reach it while driving.

SilentJay
03-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Finally got around to installing my audiolink today - installation was pretty smooth, except I couldn't decide where to place the unit. As a temporary spot (will post cellphone pics later), I've got it coming out into the cup-holder area. At least I can cover the unit with crap to conceal it.

Still need to find out how much either the audio control pannel faceplate is, or how much the shifter area faceplate is. The shifter looks like an idea solution, and its a simple piece of plastic - hopefully its cheap! Paging Dr. Flipdady!