PDA

View Full Version : ALL the Fujita F5 Owners

Soyabean
03-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, it seems this CAI is the most popular. I have one question.... does anyone have a bypass or am i just a worry wort and always scared of hydrolocking? Like the weather is pretty crazy nowadays so..... yea. I remember in 05 when there was that crazy flood, my whole front tire was submerged into the water and i had to go that way since that was the only way home for me lol

So.... anyone have a bypass or just think that its safe enough because i know that hydrolocking will only occur if the whole filter is under water

RallyPlaya
03-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey Soyabean i have had a Fujita F5 CAI for about 6 months now and basically the whole winter. My car is outside all the time and ihave driven in the worst conditions this year... also i get car washes and even coin car washes done at least once every two weeks. I have had no problems with hydro locking and haven't taken any extra precautions. Heres a link of all the people who also had no problems.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19027&highlight=Winter+Cold+air+intake
As for Bypass im not sure i know there is a way you can further prevent hydro locking its somewhere on this forum..BTW u will have to Clean your CAI once a year atleast

azn_outlaw
03-10-2008, 12:44 AM
well those who are running any brand CAI just for better re-assurance:

Look into this:

http://www.outerwearsracing.com/

and just for some extra re-assurance, cover those vent holes (the lower ones mainly IMO) in the wheel well with duct tape...

Ricky
03-10-2008, 02:09 AM
Hey Soyabean i have had a Fujita F5 CAI for about 6 months now and basically the whole winter. My car is outside all the time and ihave driven in the worst conditions this year... also i get car washes and even coin car washes done at least once every two weeks. I have had no problems with hydro locking and haven't taken any extra precautions. Heres a link of all the people who also had no problems.
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19027&highlight=Winter+Cold+air+intake
As for Bypass im not sure i know there is a way you can further prevent hydro locking its somewhere on this forum..BTW u will have to Clean your CAI once a year atleast

Agree !! I drive with Fujita F5 CAI and S-Tech every day, there is no problem at all. BTW there are a lot of snowstorm in this season, I have had no problem during the storm, the only problem is the cover from the front bumer is fall down

SilentJay
03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
I went one step more than everyone else and used a big square of shower curtain and loads of silicone to seal up the vents in the wheel-well. I've ran it through car washes, and all through winter, no problems :D

EvilEric
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Just make sure your familiar with the entire install process and connections....so you know what to do if a CEL pops up.

WLS ZMZM
03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Just make sure your familiar with the entire install process and connections....so you know what to do if a CEL pops up.

call MCGUYVER!!! :bana

I've had my fujita since about the end of january, and no issues.. I'm still a little nervous.. but overall the 3 offers pretty good coverage of the filter. Some recommened buying some aluminum and creating a shield like the speed intake offers

Skarbro
03-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmmm... you guys that are sealing up those vents - You realize that those vents are there for a reason, right? They increase the airflow in the fenderwell and help the intake take in more fresh air.

Water won't get in the intake through the vent holes as long as you don't drive through some seriously deep puddles.

And you won't hydrolock unless the filter is totally submerged in water.

SilentJay
03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
For me, peace of mind > more cold air... Yes, I know that puts a damper on having put a CAI on, but the way those vents are designed - seems like they're angled to actually catch water... bastid engineers...

nicker
03-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I was also worried before I put mine on but as people have said and from what I have read you do need allot of water. I myself wouldn't cover those vents. As stated they are there for a reason and the whole point of a CAI is to get more air all that you can. By cover those up you limit the air flow there for in my eyes not taking full advantage of the CAI in the first place.

For sure do not drived through deep puddles, and if you happen to get into some questionable water let off on the gas so as the intake is not sucking. You could also get a filter dry cover if you are super worried.

Otherwise enjoy and be safe.

SilentJay
03-10-2008, 06:32 PM
You aren't restricting air flow by blocking out the vents, imo - you're reducing the amount of cold air that is able to flow into the area. The area isn't air-tight enough to produce a vacuum, so you're still able to get air. To each his/her own though :)

Soyabean
03-10-2008, 07:29 PM
yea i understand. Im just scared because i experienced that one time in 2005 when a hole crap load of water raining. That was the same day that plane crashed kinda at Pearson Airport? Anyone know what im talking about? I remember that day because i opened the door to look out side and my coworkers pushed me out to give me a refreshing shower.

On the way home my whole tire (i saw the cars from the opposing lane having their whole front tire). I went thru 2 of those and my car was smoking and i was like SHIT, my parents gonna kill me cuz i thought water got into the engine or something but my car was fine.

If that were to happen then i guess we all screweddddddddddd :P lol

CAI here i come haha

Soyabean
03-10-2008, 07:30 PM
OO, do u guys think i can get a AEM bypass and cut the Fujita one shorter to put the bypass in or just get the daam AEM one? so much to think about.... why cant i be rich?

Swerny
03-10-2008, 07:45 PM
unless you drive into a lake or river with your motor running, you will be fine without the bypass

Niteshade
03-10-2008, 09:32 PM
unless you drive into a lake or river with your motor running, you will be fine without the bypass

LOL!

In which case, really, hydrolock is the least of your worries:chuckle

icecubetray
03-10-2008, 10:13 PM
I read somewhere on the mazda3forums that the bypass negates almost all gains made by the CAI.

In which case you might as well go with a SRI.

Soyabean
03-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I read somewhere on the mazda3forums that the bypass negates almost all gains made by the CAI.

In which case you might as well go with a SRI.

Yea, my friend told me the same. Something about blocking the airflow or something. k screw it, i'll just get it lol

azn_outlaw
03-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Did anyone not follow the link?

Its has the identical theory to the AEM Bypass..

okay last time follow this link:

It is a cover/waterproof sock for the air filter!

Skarbro
03-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Did anyone not follow the link?

Its has the identical theory to the AEM Bypass..

okay last time follow this link:

It is a cover/waterproof sock for the air filter!
That's completely different than the AEM bypass valve - it isn't a sock that goes over the filter. You spice it into the intake at a high point so that if the filter gets submerged, it closes the valve and automatically converts the intake to a warm air intake with the air being drawn through the bypass.

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20

It's completely useless unless you drive through a lake.

doughboyr6
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
i know this thread is OLD, but i'm freaking out right now. Last evening driving on Erin Mills heading south towards Burnhamthorpe, I drove thru a BIG puddle. It was about 2.5 lanes wide and stretched for about 150 feet long and the deepest part was about 1ft.

I coulnd't see it cuz it was foggy and when i was in it, i couldn't get out because of the cars next to me. THe car pretty much instantaneously shut down and bogged. It completely stalled. The moment i entered the water, i backed off the gas. I tried turning the key twice but with no gas.

I'm freaked that i may have hydrolocked my car. I have a F5 CAI with the outerwear dropped on Pro Kits. Im guess the entire filter must have gotten wet....it was a crap load of water....

bluemazda3
02-12-2009, 08:15 AM
wow.. that sucks.. sorry to hear.. im thinking of getting a CAI and this stuff scares me..
good luck tho..

p-o-g-i
02-12-2009, 10:25 AM
PM Sukoon (RallyPlaya) as he has experienced this issue first hand as well... just last year.

doughboyr6
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
it was brutal...had to get the car towed adn i got into bed at 2am....had to work this morning at 9

1flycdnM3
02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
yeah i went through a rather large puddle lastnight on my way to the meet on highway 5! luckily, the majority of the puddle was on my passenger side otherwise i would likely be in the same situation. I would PM RallyPlaya too if this happened to me as i wouldn't know what to do either.

Hope things work out for ya Freddy!

RallyPlaya
02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Ive Already talked to Freddie, i hope it all works out.... the issue is a lot less severe than mine... With my hydro-lock the engine actually bursted due to water pressure, it may still be a spark plug issue... all you can do know is wait for the news

Dave_The_BMXER
02-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Ouch.

Knock on wood for me I guess..

mazda3boss
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
i know this thread is OLD, but i'm freaking out right now. Last evening driving on Erin Mills heading south towards Burnhamthorpe, I drove thru a BIG puddle. It was about 2.5 lanes wide and stretched for about 150 feet long and the deepest part was about 1ft.

I coulnd't see it cuz it was foggy and when i was in it, i couldn't get out because of the cars next to me. THe car pretty much instantaneously shut down and bogged. It completely stalled. The moment i entered the water, i backed off the gas. I tried turning the key twice but with no gas.

I'm freaked that i may have hydrolocked my car. I have a F5 CAI with the outerwear dropped on Pro Kits. Im guess the entire filter must have gotten wet....it was a crap load of water....

damn sorry to hear, i was making a right from erin mills onto burnhamthorpe last night and i drove through it, it was like a huge pond and i didint see it. First thing that came to mind was hydrolocking my car. My car didint shut off or anything but i drove through the rest of it slow. i'm lowered on s-techs and also have a fujita F5. When i got home i popped the hood and my whole engine bay was wet. Hopefully it wont mess anything up

doughboyr6
02-12-2009, 05:41 PM
damn sorry to hear, i was making a right from erin mills onto burnhamthorpe last night and i drove through it, it was like a huge pond and i didint see it. First thing that came to mind was hydrolocking my car. My car didint shut off or anything but i drove through the rest of it slow. i'm lowered on s-techs and also have a fujita F5. When i got home i popped the hood and my whole engine bay was wet. Hopefully it wont mess anything up

i'm surprised you made it out fine and hope you do....

i got word from Erin Mills Mazda that the engine is ka poop....i need a new engine for $6800+tax. I'm speaking with my insurance company right now to see what the course of action should be. I'll see. I'm afraid they may use the modified CAI as a reason not to pay...

bluemazda3
02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
ahhhh sh*t that sucks......... hope it werks out for you :(

Soyabean
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM

i got word from Erin Mills Mazda that the engine is ka poop....i need a new engine for $6800+tax. I'm speaking with my insurance company right now to see what the course of action should be. I'll see. I'm afraid they may use the modified CAI as a reason not to pay...

Perhaps try putting your stock airbox back in and then call the insurance

Also, i might be wrong but didnt your engine get replaced before and you had to pay or was it someone else? I know it was someone who had a borla exhaust too

But i wish you best of luck

mazda3boss
02-12-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm still gonna get EM mazda to have a look at it. Everytime i start my car now it makes some screeching noise, not really sure where its coming from but 5 minutes later it goes away. The insurance company will probably not pay because of the CAI, they are always looking for an excuse not to pay. Hopefully all goes well for you.

laksman91
02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm still gonna get EM mazda to have a look at it. Everytime i start my car now it makes some screeching noise, not really sure where its coming from but 5 minutes later it goes away. The insurance company will probably not pay because of the CAI, they are always looking for an excuse not to pay. Hopefully all goes well for you.

switch out the cai before you go

Dave_The_BMXER
02-12-2009, 10:36 PM

Sounds like wet/loose belts.

That sucks 2 motors claimed by cai's. I should not drive on rainy days.

x_o_k_x
02-13-2009, 01:18 AM
remove your CAI, as well as other visible mods including lowering SPRINGS and spray some dirty water on your engine, to make it look like it was an accdent, so when it dries it would have dirty water stains all over. This could help and worth a try. Dont EVER mention CAI..
Also tell them there was a fog like you said, and couldnt see the puddle, as well as there was a pothole under huge puddle, this might help. Goodluck

doughboyr6
02-13-2009, 05:56 PM
my car was towed from Erin Mills Mazda to Oakville today. They also said the engine is done and i need a new one.

They gave me 3 options

new engine
rebuilt
used

i think i can only afford used either way. can anyone recommend me where i can seek out a used engine other than ebay?

I may or may not go thru insurance at this time and i have my reasons. Lets assume I don't. What can I do to keep my costs down?

Soyabean
02-13-2009, 07:24 PM
http://standardautowreckers.net/asp/parts/details.asp?ID=16193887

2007 GT engine
$1,815.00

icecubetray
02-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I would start calling around to different wreckers......

there is likely a rear end write off with a perfect engine just sitting there waiting for you.....

doughboyr6
02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
i will start looking....thanks guys.

what are some things to consider when looking for an engine in terms of compatibility? What year engine will fit in an 05 GT Sedan? I have a manual transmission also. I guess that would affect the type of engine i'm looking for too?