PDA

View Full Version : Minor Scratches Removal?

RemaerdLacidar
03-17-2008, 02:00 PM
Some :AH at work decided to squeeze his or her P.O.S. Honda CRV between my car and a bike rack. Basically left like 4 inches or space between my driver side and the CRV's driver side. How they got out of the car without denting my rear quarter panel is beyond me since I had to get into my car via the passenger side and climb over the centre console... point is they scratched my paint a bit two minor chips you can see and feel the chips, but the scratch is just visible and it cannot be felt by touching it....

Any tips on how I might be able to A) remove the scratch and B) reduce the noticibility of the chips? :(

Cardinal Fang
03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Moved to correct forum.

RemaerdLacidar
03-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks Cardinal, I realized after positing that I placed it in the wrong place and couldn't figure out how to move it

Cardinal Fang
03-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Not a problem. This is a perfect question for kaval to chime in on.

PlatMS6
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Umm why didn't you wait for them and collect?

RX9
03-17-2008, 09:30 PM
i felt ur pain dude.

kaval
03-18-2008, 04:32 AM
Could you post a pic or two of the chips? "Chip" doesn't sound too hopeful in getting repaired without a repaint, however touch up pen (if you aren't too particular) can remedy your situation and prevent rust from forming. You may be lucky though...let's see a pic or two though :)

As for the scratch that is in the clearcoat, I know you said you can't feel it, but have you tried running your fingernail in the scratch, and does it get caught, even the slightest bit? If so, it may need to be wetsanded and/or compounded out depending on how deep it is. Some scratches are better left untouched as essentially what you are doing when removing a scratch is leveling the clearcoat around the area to the same depth as the scratch. If the scratch is too deep, safest route would be to leave that area as it doesn't make sense in trying to reduce the thickness of clearcoat around a scratch that is already too deep. In this case, proper paint protection (wax or synthetic sealant) at all times would be your best route.

Ninja edit: nice to see we can edit our posts to add more stuff :D

RemaerdLacidar
03-18-2008, 09:17 AM
I'll try to post some pics up later.. I tried taking pictures yesterday, but it was too sunny and my paint created too much glare on the camera :\

RemaerdLacidar
03-18-2008, 09:29 AM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj182/remaerdlacidar/IMG00010.jpg

The two chips are on the left side of the picture, kinda darkish grey.. the scratch runs from the pits in an "S" shape....

It's really hard to see in this picture, lol

RemaerdLacidar
03-18-2008, 09:34 AM
I know you said you can't feel it, but have you tried running your fingernail in the scratch, and does it get caught, even the slightest bit?

Fingernail does get caught in it a little bit :(

bad news :\

nicker
03-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I hate people like that. People don't care about their own cars and thats fine but when the f-up other peoples thats just wrong.

Ok not that I am a bad person but I am fed up with some people so I would have gave their car a nice kick. Maybe then they would realize. I know some will say thats just low....but so what if you are that much of an ass to park like that....expect it if its me beside you!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be able to fill that with touch up and then you or somone that knows could wet sand it down. For not id maybe put some greese or somthing to prevent any rust ?

ggn00b
03-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey guys some ******* hit my mazda3 and left red paint on the corner does anyone here know how 2 get rid of the paint?? any specific product??? or any specific method of going about it?

RX9
03-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey guys some ******* hit my mazda3 and left red paint on the corner does anyone here know how 2 get rid of the paint?? any specific product??? or any specific method of going about it?

definitely a clay bar!

kaval
03-20-2008, 06:47 AM
+1 for clay bar!

Btw, RemaerdLacidar...it is kind of hard to see the damage in that pic. Perhaps try using the macro function on your camera...

If your fingernail gets caught in the scratch a little, I'd have to see it to tell you how safe it is to remove.